Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Spoilers

Amazons fighting with bows and arrows when they seem to have tech is silly.

Also, why didn't the aircraft just flow over the wall? There was no shield either, but the prison had a force field?

The movie was so-so. I did not enjoy it as much as they took elements from so many stuff I've read before already, so it's not such a surprise. Lots of weird moments like how many times WW looked at Medusa and did not get turned into stone.

I also did not like the fact that Diana was overly tolerant of Vanessa; she has to be held accountable for her crimes, and the people she killed. The best part for me was Cheetah in the lasso, but I did not care for the upgrade...reminded me Underworld Lycans...lol
    Last edited by Titan Theo; 10-08-2019 at 02:41 AM.

I myself was underwhelmed by it, though I admit I'm not too much for animated longer stuff.

Like others here, I didn't think the voice acting was that good, it lacked pathos and immediacy. It also felt like the script was much more a moving track from one action scene to another than something where the heroes made real choices.

But I think my real troubles were in characterisation. While I can understand the thematic parallel between Julia and Vanessa on one hand, and Hippolyta and Diana on the other, the creative choices with regard to Themyscira and Hippolyta undercuts the feminist themes at the core of Diana and Themyscira.

spoilers:
    The choice to have the Amazons imprison Steve makes Themyscira more of a prison than something than a shelter or a protected place. By making Hippolyta's attempt to prevent Diana from leaving come from her role as queen rather than as mother, it robs her of a lot of her nuance and personality. And by not showing much of Themyscira, it became a place that Diana escaped, not one she came from.

This is reinforced by Diana's stated mission to make the world a better place. But the only place she changed by the end of the movie was not Man's World, but Themyscira.
    end of spoilers
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I think it’s because they don’t get that much monsters to fight so they don’t need certain weapons. Healing okay and prisons not sure what to be used often. Marston and Earth one they often used bows and arrows. But do have guns.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

But I think my real troubles were in characterisation. While I can understand the thematic parallel between Julia and Vanessa on one hand, and Hippolyta and Diana on the other, the creative choices with regard to Themyscira and Hippolyta undercuts the feminist themes at the core of Diana and Themyscira.
    I agree. I genuinely don't mind another retelling of WW's origin, but the way this one was done was... rushed. We didn't see nearly enough of Themyscira, we don't really know anything about it outside of that one exposition line, and the only reason the origin was included was to introduce the Purple healing ray. The only reason it didn't seem so rushed to most of us is because we already know how the story goes. I'd imagine someone who wasn't so familiar with WW coming in blind would be more than a bit confused. I think the real problem here is that we never actually get Hippolyta's perspective. We never really understand why she was so vehemently against Diana leaving Themyscira (being mad that she's forfeiting her duties as future queen of the Amazons is kind of a weak argument, and so is her hatred for humanity). I can't quite put it into words, but they really dropped the ball on Diana and Hippolyta's relationship. I blame their attempt to parallel it to Julia and Vanessa for this. In order for the "Oh, we both have strict mothers who disapprove of us and consider us a disappointment" parallel to truly work, they had to twist certain elements of Diana and Hippolyta's relationship, to the detriment of Hippolyta's characterization.

I actually did enjoy most of the movie, mostly because I'm one of those people who love the Diana/Steve/Etta dynamic (which we almost never get to see outside of comics) so I'll take any scraps I can get, and I much prefer Diana's characterization in this movie than I did in her four previous DCAMU appearances, but Hippolyta and the Amazons is the one thing this movie didn't get right at all.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

spoilers:
    It annoyed me how Diana did nothing when Veronica confessed to murder. She confessed to killing your friend and you just let go? The hell Diana. Vanessa might regress back to bring Silver Swan once she finds out about it.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    spoilers:
    It annoyed me how Diana did nothing when Veronica confessed to murder. She confessed to killing your friend and you just let go? The hell Diana. Vanessa might regress back to bring Silver Swan once she finds out about it.
    end of spoilers
    Totally agreed. I mean, if you're even vaguely familiar with Wonder Woman of the past 15 years, you already knew the mid-credit ending reveal, but it felt so dissatisfying. Also, that raises another question: why did they write a mid-credits scene instead of incorporating it with the rest of the movie? It's like they wanted to keep the run-time lower so they added the mid-credits scene just so that they didn't need to tie it all together as cleanly.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Totally agreed. I mean, if you're even vaguely familiar with Wonder Woman of the past 15 years, you already knew the mid-credit ending reveal, but it felt so dissatisfying. Also, that raises another question: why did they write a mid-credits scene instead of incorporating it with the rest of the movie? It's like they wanted to keep the run-time lower so they added the mid-credits scene just so that they didn't need to tie it all together as cleanly.
    That's why BvS had a director's cut that was nearly half again as long as the theatrical release. They plotted and shot the film and were like "this is too long". I mean yes, the film had OTHER flaws as well, but that made it worse.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Meh movie. The New 52 movies and their voice acting is just bleh. Dawson is still a bore and a dud as Diana, Cree Summers was miscast for Hippolyta, and Claudia Black should've been brought back for Cheetah and should be the default voice for her.

The pacing was weird and the movie just felt generic. However, it had the generosity of using Diana's supporting cast and other villains so I'll give them that.

I really wish WW content would stop cutting off parts her origin. Diana having to prove herself while hidden is a good character moment for her and depicts Diana's personality instead of the boring "we escape in the night" version. Honestly this movie didn't need it and had they released it closer to the DCEU movie they definitely didn't need to throw it in.

The fights were really good and I did like the designs especially Cheetah's and Giganta's.

I definitely prefer the 2009 movie.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 10-08-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Cheetah looks like a hyena - like one of First Borns hyenas. What's that about?
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Her relationship with Snapper Carr is weird no matter what form she's in. It's one of the things about Cheetah that I'd like to forget ever happening.
    That was one of the few entertaining things to come out of the Final Crisis story tie-ins. It was so quirky and strange. I loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Cheetah looks like a hyena - like one of First Borns hyenas. What's that about?
    I think they were more so going for Sharpe’s more bestial Cheetah design.

There are continuity gaps between BLOODLINES and JUSTICE LEAGUE WAR. Putting aside Michelle Monaghan's atrociously voiced Diana in WAR, spoilers:
    clearly BLOODLINES retained the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship, but when did Diana meet the League? It seemed as if she spent weeks/months with the Kapatelises before she donned her second, non-stolen Wonder Woman armor. And were the Parademons that attacked Steve's plane advance scouts like the ones Batman alluded to in WAR and in the books of the full scale invasion? I can't figure out the time frame from when Diana left Themyscira to when she joined the male heroes in Metropolis to fight off Darkseid. And if Diana had learned about Man's World via Julia Kapatelis, then she looks like an even bigger idiot in that "Ice cream is wonderful!" scene with that random child Hannah in WAR, which makes me cringe just thinking about that line delivery. Thank God Gal Gadot redeemed that specific line in the movie.
    end of spoilers

I'm just happy that this movie is out. It's not as amazing as I'd hoped it'd be, but I still liked it. I wasn't a huge fan of the 2009 film (especially with a sleazy Steve trying to get Diana drunk, her inability to fly on her own power, subbing arrows for bullets and bracelets, among other things) but I did love its cast.

Hopefully more Wonder Woman-centric animated films will be produced in the future.

I wasn't a huge fan of the 2009 film (especially with a sleazy Steve trying to get Diana drunk, her inability to fly on her own power, subbing arrows for bullets and bracelets, among other things) but I did love its cast.
    I disliked the 2009 movie so much I quit watching before Diana left the island. I'm checking out opinions here, because the more someone disliked that one and liked this one,the more likely I am to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I disliked the 2009 movie so much I quit watching before Diana left the island. I'm checking out opinions here, because the more someone disliked that one and liked this one,the more likely I am to check it out.
    Oh, it's leagues better than the horrid 2009 one. It's not great, but it's a start in the right direction.

Spectacular Member

at least there is no misandry (mysandrie ? i don't really know how to spell it...HELP)