Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
The talk about the Amazon ethos being "do the right thing, no matter the cost" feels far too mired in duty ethics, and emphasises principles over people. Wonder Woman's strongest stories focus on her helping people, and putting people before principles or "the mission". It's apparent in the 2017 movie, and it's even more apparent in The Hiketeia.
I feel like the "no matter the cost" refers more to the individual then to others, so an Amazon would sacrifice her life to save another or to save the day rather then someone else. Which I think will come into play with Diana not giving up on Vanessa.
Likewise, the discussion about Vanessa becoming a supervillain is presented as some sort of inevitable family dynamic where the "perfect" sibling will "create" the bad sibling. I'm not buying that dynamic.
Minus the brainwashing I think Vanessa being so self-conscious about Diana is from the comics even if eventually she got over it. All they're missing is her being jealous of Wonder Girl.
I'm also really leery about the line that Steve is the first person to love Diana the person. I think it misses the take that Diana is the child of a thousand mothers. Her fundamental origin is that she comes from a place where she is loved, and she gives that up so she can help others.
I get that. I don't think they're trying to say that Diana wasn't loved on Themyscira, just that Steve can relate to her on an individual level separate from her duty and position.
I liked what they said about Themyscira being advanced while keeping a classical aesthetic, but it's tricky to do in practice, so we'll see how they manage the execution there.
Purple Ray is a nice start .
Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
Looks like Barbara Ann is back to pre-Flashpoint enemy from the beginning status though, which is kind of lame. But I guess it would be too much to squeeze into one movie,.
It's interesting that it looks like she has both super-speed and the ability to transform into a more feral form in this.
Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
I dunno, I got the feeling Julia's death is what spirals Vanessa into becoming the Silver Swan again. I really hope not though.
We see Julia hugging Wonder Woman alongside Etta and with Steve in a shootout so I think she's still alive when Vanessa becomes Silver Swan. She probably tells Diana that Vanessa's fallen in with the wrong crowd.