Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    The talk about the Amazon ethos being "do the right thing, no matter the cost" feels far too mired in duty ethics, and emphasises principles over people. Wonder Woman's strongest stories focus on her helping people, and putting people before principles or "the mission". It's apparent in the 2017 movie, and it's even more apparent in The Hiketeia.
    I feel like the "no matter the cost" refers more to the individual then to others, so an Amazon would sacrifice her life to save another or to save the day rather then someone else. Which I think will come into play with Diana not giving up on Vanessa.
    Likewise, the discussion about Vanessa becoming a supervillain is presented as some sort of inevitable family dynamic where the "perfect" sibling will "create" the bad sibling. I'm not buying that dynamic.
    Minus the brainwashing I think Vanessa being so self-conscious about Diana is from the comics even if eventually she got over it. All they're missing is her being jealous of Wonder Girl.
    I'm also really leery about the line that Steve is the first person to love Diana the person. I think it misses the take that Diana is the child of a thousand mothers. Her fundamental origin is that she comes from a place where she is loved, and she gives that up so she can help others.
    I get that. I don't think they're trying to say that Diana wasn't loved on Themyscira, just that Steve can relate to her on an individual level separate from her duty and position.
    I liked what they said about Themyscira being advanced while keeping a classical aesthetic, but it's tricky to do in practice, so we'll see how they manage the execution there.
    Purple Ray is a nice start .
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Looks like Barbara Ann is back to pre-Flashpoint enemy from the beginning status though, which is kind of lame. But I guess it would be too much to squeeze into one movie,.
    It's interesting that it looks like she has both super-speed and the ability to transform into a more feral form in this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I dunno, I got the feeling Julia's death is what spirals Vanessa into becoming the Silver Swan again. I really hope not though.
    We see Julia hugging Wonder Woman alongside Etta and with Steve in a shootout so I think she's still alive when Vanessa becomes Silver Swan. She probably tells Diana that Vanessa's fallen in with the wrong crowd.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

So, this is her first animated film in a decade. How successful does this have to be so it won’t take another 10 years to do another??

Its weird that I actually find the more classic costume jarring in this over the War one. That look really grew on me.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    So, this is her first animated film in a decade. How successful does this have to be so it won’t take another 10 years to do another??
    I just hope it's better than the 2009 movie. I didn't get far into that one before I bailed. I didn't like the opening at all, but gave it until Steve showed up. Bailed very shortly thereafter. Not giving it much of a chance, I'll grant, but I learned a while ago to quit watching things I'm not enjoying, because I seldom end up enjoying them by watching more.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's interesting that it looks like she has both super-speed and the ability to transform into a more feral form in this.
    Her speed looks impressive. The feral form is ugly as sin, though I guess that's the point?
    I fear she may just be a mook in this, we saw a lot more Cyber and Poison and of course Vanessa than we did her. But then her voice actress is listed in the articles among the main cast instead of a supporting role with the rest of the villains, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    We see Julia hugging Wonder Woman alongside Etta and with Steve in a shootout so I think she's still alive when Vanessa becomes Silver Swan. She probably tells Diana that Vanessa's fallen in with the wrong crowd.
    Villainy Inc is a high school Mean Girls clique lol.

I did see Vanessa cradling a seemingly wounded Julia though, so that doesn't bode well.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Her speed looks impressive. The feral form is ugly as sin, though I guess that's the point?
    I fear she may just be a mook in this, we saw a lot more Cyber and Poison and of course Vanessa than we did her. But then her voice actress is listed in the articles among the main cast instead of a supporting role with the rest of the villains, so there's that.
    I think, at worst, she might be the member of Villainy Inc. other then Silver Swan who Diana has the longest and more involved fight against. But we might get some impressive feats.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    I think the sales targets are lower now so unless this movie REALLY flops we should get more. And we’re in a period of heightened awareness about Diana so I expect this to do well.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

With Villainy Inc. returning in this movie, I hope that influences whoever is writing Wonder Woman at the time this movie comes out to bring them back in her book with a very similar roster but adding in Queen Clea.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    With Villainy Inc. returning in this movie, I hope that influences whoever is writing Wonder Woman at the time this movie comes out to bring them back in her book with a very similar roster but adding in Queen Clea.
    This, though I will accept nothing less but the full membership. Saturna, Zara and Blue Snowman are already back and the latter two are working for Cale. We just need Clea and Hypnota to be introduced in Rebirth and we will have all the pieces available.

Give it to me DC, you cowards.

I think a lot of the sales might have to deal with the stories themselves. I mean new 52 wasn’t actually the best for certain characters. Batman has a monopoly on the animated movies. I hope we get more movies. It seems unlike last animated movie more ads and talk from WB and Dc are being talked about

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    FINALLY we are getting to see a plethora of Wonder rogues against Wonder Woman.
    This is what excites me the most. They are actually USING some of Wonder Woman's rogues gallery in this. While a majority will go to Silver Swan (as we can't get into everyone's backstory), just the fact that we are getting SOMETHING from the others means a lot.

I'm also excited about them trying to make Themyscira more technologically advanced and just keeping a classic aesthetic than just keeping at as a place that never evolves. It sounds hard to do in practice, but after seeing Black Panther last year I'm a believer that you can mix traditional with science fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    This is what excites me the most. They are actually USING some of Wonder Woman's rogues gallery in this. While a majority will go to Silver Swan (as we can't get into everyone's backstory), just the fact that we are getting SOMETHING from the others means a lot.
    It is pretty refreshing to see Diana dealing more with Supervillains instead of Greek gods/mythological entities.

And we’re getting a Hush type “run the gauntlet” story! I have a weakness for those, I really like when the Rogues Gallery teams up to mess with the hero, and Diana has frankly needed a story like that in outside media. Something that at least let’s most of her big villains show up and let people know they exist.

Now if Bloodline does well. I hope we get more animated movies