Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

I think the Origin won't be dwelled on too much. Just setting a backdrop to how this version of Diana left Paradise Island. Interestingly to modernize it and not keep it during one of the World Wars (so Diana's supporting cast can still be used in the present day) Steve was being attacked by a Parademon which makes me wonder how that came about. However I believe the meat and potatoes of THIS movie will be Villainy Inc. taking a war to Themyscira and transitioning Vanessa into a weapon, thus going after Wonder Woman and all she loves specifically.

I can't wait to see these bad ladies get some action...with the trend of making female villains "not that bad", it will be nice to see some unrepentant "rhymes with riches" to challenge the heroine.
    Last edited by Mistah K88; 08-08-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I think the Origin won't be dwelled on too much. Just setting a backdrop to how this version of Diana left Paradise Island. Interestingly to modernize it and not keep it during one of the World Wars (so Diana's supporting cast can still be used in the present day) Steve was being attacked by a Parademon which makes me wonder how that came about. However I believe the meat and potatoes of THIS movie will be Villainy Inc. taking a war to Themyscira and transitioning Vanessa into a weapon, thus going after Wonder Woman and all she loves specifically.

I can't wait to see these bad ladies get some action...with the trend of making female villains "not that bad", it will be nice to see some unrepentant "rhymes with riches" to challenge the heroine.
    The Parademons are part of Darkseid’s invasion that took place in the early days of the new 52 when the Justice League came together to fend him off as seen in Justice League: War. In this continuity, she leaves Paradise Island to help Mankind with that

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    The Parademons are part of Darkseid’s invasion that took place in the early days of the new 52 when the Justice League came together to fend him off as seen in Justice League: War. In this continuity, she leaves Paradise Island to help Mankind with that
    I forgot that this was in continuity with War.

I can only hope Wonder Woman's other rogues in this are boosted to public awareness the same way Cheetah and Giganta were in Superfriends.

I can only hope Wonder Woman's other rogues in this are boosted to public awareness the same way Cheetah and Giganta were in Superfriends.
    There's no way one DTV can ever grab as much of the public's awareness as a cartoon from back in the day when everyone only had 4 channels to choose from. Superfriends level is out of this movie's league. But still, even a little bit more awareness is better than none. Look how well Batman: Under the Red Hood did for awareness of Jason Todd. That'd be a win for most of Wondie's rogues.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

It's probably likely Cale is a secret backer. I don't expect her to be on the frontlines with the other villains.

Yeah, I think the origin is more for context then anything else.

Although it looks like they're skipping the contest again. I don't remember the last time they used it in an adaption, but I guess they don't have time for something that's kind of more elaborate.
    Good trailer. Is it just me or the animation looks better? Diana looks a bit different but good.

Heck people just knowing the names of Diana’s Rogues would do wonders (heh) for treatment of Diana’s Rogues. How many people even know of anyone besides Cheetah and Ares? Circe is probably the third most well known Rogue after those two. But Dr. Cyber? Psycho? Dr. Poison? Forget it. At least this will let people know these villains exist. It’s a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Anyone notice the stunning shortage of sword scenes? Hopefully, that's a trend throughout the whole movie! Love it!
    Yes! And it’s very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Heck people just knowing the names of Diana’s Rogues would do wonders (heh) for treatment of Diana’s Rogues. How many people even know of anyone besides Cheetah and Ares? Circe is probably the third most well known Rogue after those two. But Dr. Cyber? Psycho? Dr. Poison? Forget it. At least this will let people know these villains exist. It’s a start.
    I'd put Giganta above Circe in wider public recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'd put Giganta above Circe in wider public recognition.
    Hm you might be right. Now that I think about it they’re probably about even. Giganta has the Superfriends but Circe has DCUO and JL Action along with that one DCAU episode.

Mighty Member

There's no way one DTV can ever grab as much of the public's awareness as a cartoon from back in the day when everyone only had 4 channels to choose from. Superfriends level is out of this movie's league. But still, even a little bit more awareness is better than none. Look how well Batman: Under the Red Hood did for awareness of Jason Todd. That'd be a win for most of Wondie's rogues.
    Sadly you are correct, I was going to say make household names out of them like BTAS did for rouges like Poison Ivy and Mr Freeze...but that'd be pushing it. I'm thinking encouraging other forms of media to use the characters (like the Jason Todd example). Even if it's something like Superhero Girls (...and guess who of Wonder Woman's rouges get to show up in that one? The Super Friends duo [While we have 3 Batman bad gals...a TRAVESTY!)

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hm you might be right. Now that I think about it they’re probably about even. Giganta has the Superfriends but Circe has DCUO and JL Action along with that one DCAU episode.
    Giganta also had brief appearances in the older iteration of Superhero Girls (can't remember which movie/s she showed up in)(and no clue if she's showed up in the newer iteration or not) and a couple of those Lego DC Superheroes movies. I think some version of her might have also appeared in Justice League/JLU. I mean it isn't much all told, but it's more than most WW villains have gotten.

Sadly you are correct, I was going to say make household names out of them like BTAS did for rouges like Poison Ivy and Mr Freeze...but that'd be pushing it. I'm thinking encouraging other forms of media to use the characters (like the Jason Todd example). Even if it's something like Superhero Girls (...and guess who of Wonder Woman's rouges get to show up in that one? The Super Friends duo [While we have 3 Batman bad gals...a TRAVESTY!)
    I've missed a number of the new Superhero Girls episodes, which of Diana's rogues showed up so far?

Best thing for letting people know more about Wondie's whole rogues gallery would be an actual cartoon series (as a fairly new fan on a budget I only know of a few villains firsthand from reading comics myself, a lot of what I know comes more from wikis and other media), but until someone up top in WB figures out that a Wonder Woman cartoon could be brilliant we'll just have to hope this DTV is good and we get more. I'm really hoping that if the movie sequel does even better than the first it'll light a fire under somebody's rump.

I'm thinking encouraging other forms of media to use the characters (like the Jason Todd example)
    Well, Jason wasn't in that much, I think most of his fame outside comics came from his one DTV (and luckily this DTV looks to be a decent showcase of some of the rogues) and one of the Arkham games. Wonder Woman could definitely use a game. Even a crappy tie in game to the next movie would be better than going this long without. A really good WW game could really bring her villains and more supporting characters into the light.

Now that I think about it, the Young Justice cartoon hasn't really used many Wondie villains despite drawing from all over the DCU.

Wonder Girl got a small role in the Titans web series. And the last Teen Titans animated DTV movie implied she'd be a part of the team in the next one, whenever that is.

The WWB cast is Wonder Woman, Etta Candy, Steve Trevor, Doc Julia, Ferdinand - that's a classic cast, even for the WW comic.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Mighty Member

I've missed a number of the new Superhero Girls episodes, which of Diana's rogues showed up so far?
    Just the Superfriends duo, Giganta and Cheetah. With the series being more lighthearted than most, you'd think they bust out someone like Byrna Brillyant.

Giganta also had brief appearances in the older iteration of Superhero Girls (can't remember which movie/s she showed up in)(and no clue if she's showed up in the newer iteration or not) and a couple of those Lego DC Superheroes movies. I think some version of her might have also appeared in Justice League/JLU. I mean it isn't much all told, but it's more than most WW villains have gotten.
    Giganta was with the Secret Society in the DCAU. She was also Grodd's lover.