Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Watched it. Was wonderful ��

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I bought it this morning and watched it on Prime.

I overall liked it a lot. A very good animated movie, much better than the last DTV. There is room for improvement, but I hope we get more from this team. Hopefully this does well enough to warrant it.

spoilers:
    The beginning was sort of rushed as we kind of breezed through Steve crashing, Diana bringing him home, moving in with the Kapatelis women, and Vanessa's start of darkness. Julia does indeed die here, but it is at least MUCH better than how Robinson did it, and Vanessa remains the focus of the story without any Jason BS. It is frankly great to see so many iconic WW supporting cast members here: Hippolyta, Steve and Etta (both of whom I liked better here than in the recent comics, Julia & Vanessa, and Ferdinand. Only the Wonder Girls and Artemis were missing.

Not only did we get the six villains advertised, we got a surprise seventh. Medusa was an unexpected but welcome surprise, with a neat design, and they lifted the iconic "venom burning the eyes" from Rucka's run for the climax. Was that Cree Summer voicing her? I didn't see the casting listed in the credit.

Cale, Cyber and Poison were all effectively used here. Veronica is more in line with the original Rucka run as her daughter is absent. Cyber's origin as Adrianna is not touched upon sadly, but she has a great design and voice.

Unfortunately, my favorite villain is the big letdown here. Cheetah and Giganta are just glorified cameos as hired grunts, though that was at least expected for the latter. Cheetah's fight scene is cool at least, but all too brief, and her motivation is basically that Cale is paying her. With Julia reclaiming her Perez era role and an already busy plot, I guess they didn't have time to delve into a Rebirth-style arc for Barbara Ann. I would have preferred that she was involved so she could have the glory of finding Themyscira, something to touch upon her adventurous archaeological background, but nope just money and a chance to hurt Diana. At least she didn't seem wildly OOC, but also not showing off her characteristics either.

One of the stated goals of the crew was showing off Diana's rogues gallery. I largely think they succeeded even if they dropped the ball a bit for the main one. I also greatly appreciate the attempt. We need more animated content for Diana that shows off her world, including her cast and villains, from people who actually love it. And even if I don't agree with every creative decision, I felt that respect here. I would be totally down for more DTVs from this crew
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 10-05-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Can you guys please mention how much you liked it separate from spoilers?

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Can you guys please mention how much you liked it separate from spoilers?
    Good point, I just changed mine

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Good point, I just changed mine
    thank you!

Sieg, without getting into spoilers, were you generally satisfied with how Villainy Inc. was portrayed? I'm just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sieg, without getting into spoilers, were you generally satisfied with how Villainy Inc. was portrayed? I'm just curious.
    Most of them, definitely!

With one exception, and unfortunately you can probably guess which one would disappoint me the most But even that wasn't THAT bad.

Most of them, definitely!

With one exception, and unfortunately you can probably guess which one would disappoint me the most But even that wasn't THAT bad.
    Thanks for letting me know .

Is Diana sculpted from clay or nah?

So is the movie flashback or in the future

Incredible Member

I just finished watching the movie, and I really liked it. I would actually say this, Death and Reign of Superman and Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay are the best recent animations in the New 52 universe. Also, as I think this is not a spoiler, I really loved the designs for the characters in the movie. For some reason, it seems artists usually get lazy for Wonder Woman creations, but I thought everyone had a look that was quite aesthetically pleasing, and while I didn't really like Silver Swan's look in Robinson's run, I thought the animation vastly improved the look.

Last non spoilerly thing I will say is the movie definitely feels like a mixture of the live action film, Rucka's second run with just a pinch of Robinson's Silver Swan run. I will give more details in the spoilers below:

SPOILERS:
    Does anyone know how to do spoiler tags? I don't see it in my options.spoilers:
    Wonder Woman: Diana is a completely different character in this film than she is in the previous New 52 films, except for arguably the Death and Reign of Superman where the film actually attempts to give Diana a real personality. Diana previously is shown mostly as a warrior, aggressive, and not particularly aware of others or how her actions affect them. In this, however, Diana feels a lot more like movie Diana. She is compassionate, emphatic, more naive - though not as much as in her live action film - and willing walk alone if it means accomplishing the greater good. In addition, this Diana is a lot wittier, sassier and confident. I love the playful banter between her and Steve, her one liners and comebacks to her adversaries - her comebacks are amusing and quick witted without being as annoying or distracting as Spiderman's quips - but also her confident no-nonsense "This I will not allow" once you've finally pushed her too far. People say Diana is hard to write because she's "too perfect," but this film shows how you can portray a lively Wonder Woman with attitude, zest and pizzazz without making her boring. Also, I loved the lack of sword and shield in this movie. Bullet's and bracelets gets a lot of love and we even get to see her use her lasso for a few good action sequences. While this Wonder Woman believes in love and compassion, the film also shows to us that she is smart - the venom against Medusa- and a physical powerhouse that should not be underestimated.

The Villains - I really liked Dr. Poison and hope that she isn't dead for good. Maybe they can bring in her (Japanese) granddaughter in another film as I would hate to see such an interesting villain die after only one film. I liked how her toxin made everyone stronger and that she created Medusa. Such a villain has a lot of potential. Beside from Poison. Dr. Cyber and Silver Swan also received wonderful depictions in this adaptation. I was kind of hoping the Amazons would only heal Vanessa from dying of the toxin, and she could remain Diana's sidekick in future films. I loved the use of her wings and her sonic scream. I also liked the different ways Diana and Steve responded to Vanessa with Steve seeing her solely as an adversary while Diana was willing to die to save Vanessa. People often say Diana and Steve need to be more interesting and conflicts like this show how the two can have an interesting relationship without making either a damsel or emasculated. I liked Giganta's look and Cheetah got a good action sequence. Lastly, I liked the reveal with Cale at the end. I honestly thought they were going to go with a neutral or gasp! a non villainous Cale for this adaptation. Diana coming to Cale at the end made a great confrontation, and I loved how fearlessly Cale stood her ground against Wonder Woman. Having Cale simply want Themyscira's technology is not only a better motivation than pure jealousy, but it also elevates Themyscira as a nation in this universe. One more thing on the villain front, I LOVED seeing Medusa. This actually shocked me as I'm not a huge fan of too many public domain characters in Wonder Woman. However, her look was fantastic, I loved that she could control when she chose to turn people to stone, her mind controlling abilities, her fighting skills. This Medusa is a Medusa I would love to see in the comics.

Speaking of Medusa, the movie had the perfect balance of super heroics to Greek mythology. I think super heroics should always be the majority of the storytelling with Greek mythology only there to enrich the story, and this animation does that flawlessly.

Lastly, this film actually made me excited for more Wonder Woman in this universe. I liked that she switched to the movie attire at the end, liked Etta's more playful rendition here and her look. Sometimes in the book, they often made her look very unattractive. I would also love to see Ferdinand and Vanessa remain a part of Wonder Woman cast in the future. I hope this film is successful enough that we can get a sequel or even an animated series soon.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by PopQuezy; 10-05-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Is Diana sculpted from clay or nah?
    It's not addressed either way.

Actually, I don't even know why "Bloodlines" is the title lol. Zeus is nowhere in sight thankfully, I don't think he even gets a mention.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    So is the movie flashback or in the future
    Begins five years prior for the first act, then jumps to the present.

Incredible Member

It's not addressed either way.

Actually, I don't even know why "Bloodlines" is the title lol. Zeus is nowhere in sight thankfully, I don't think he even gets a mention.

Begins five years prior for the first act, then jumps to the present.
    I figured the bloodlines is about the mother/ daughter bloodline as both Diana and Vanessa are trying to live up to their mother's expectations. They just chose different ways to cope with their beliefs that they are failing their mothers.

Any hints at a romance between Steve/Diana? How is the relationship between Diana and her mom?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Any hints at a romance between Steve/Diana? How is the relationship between Diana and her mom?
    spoilers:
    Steve and Diana enter into a romance about halfway through the film, or at least confirm that they are interested in trying one.

Diana does not part amicably with Hippolyta in the beginning. There is no Contest, but Diana defies her mother to leave the island and she thinks she is disappointing her. We see more of Hippolyta's side by the end and see that that isn't so. They butt heads more than some may like, but it is ultimately a loving relationship and Diana gets her heroism from what her mother and the Amazons taught her. They are reunited at the end and resolve their differences.
    end of spoilers