Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

I just finished it. I thought it was decent. Definitely better than the last few DC animated movies I've seen (I really only watch the ones with Wonder Woman, and I think the Justice League Dark and Suicide Squad ones). But it suffers from a lot of the same issues I have with those movies.

spoilers:
    I don't get why they insist on using swear words in these movies. If the target audience is more adult-oriented then why the more juvenile and tropey writing? I swear, if I hear one more character say something like "You wanted me to pick a side, so I'm picking one!" I'm bound to lose it. I guess I just hope for more sophistication and creativity from these than they're willing to give.

As for the content...

I liked Wonder Woman's characterization, but she was lacking the amount of sass and fun that I look for. She had some fun banter with Steve, but I wanted more. I also didn't love the voice acting for her. She never seemed to really have any sort of passion.

Steve was pretty good, though I *hate* when they constantly remind us he's a man. "I'm glad to have another man on the team" annoyed me, as did "I thought you were Wonder Woman's secretary." That sort of stuff is demeaning.

Etta... annoyed me. I don't know what it was. I do appreciate them trying to make her more fun, but she was never really more than just a third wheel for me. And not a single Woo Woo? For shame.

The villains! Obviously, this is what I was most excited about, and I'm generally satisfied with their depictions.

CHEETAH - ugh. Yes, she had a fun fight scene, but once again treated as a joke. I really hope if WW gets a third animated film they use Cheetah (or Circe) as the primary antagonist so she can get a better showing.

GIGANTA - ugh x2. She literally did nothing noteworthy and I was rolling my eyes at how easily she was tossed around. I liked her design at least!

DOCTOR CYBER - My favorite of the villains in this movie. She had a fantastic voice, great line delivery, and an overall cool look. But of course I have my complaints: she gets dispatched WAY too easily (uh she's a robot, why would punching a hole in her shut her offline?), and I *hate* that they didn't tie her to Veronica Cale. I guess they wanted the Cale stuff to be a surprise, but the Adrianna/Veronica relationship is too powerful to ignore. I really hope we see her again in a future DC animated film. Love love love her.

DOCTOR POISON - I'm miffed they changed her from Japanese to German, but whatevs. She had a great design, but didn't really get much to do despite appearing more than any other villain (I think?). She also had such a grisly end that I was torn on if I loved or hated it.

SILVER SWAN - I actually really liked her design in action, and she had some of the best fight scenes in the movie. I dug her voice, but my god she was just such a generic angsty teen character with generic ass motivations (ironically, I didn't hate Julia's death here as much as I did in Rebirth). I'm honestly not sure how they could've changed her to be more to my liking, though. I guess I just really dislike that character trope as it's been done to death.

VERONICA CALE - I have to admit, I genuinely thought she wasn't going to be a villain in this until the end. I had my suspicions, but I was surprised when the end credits scene happened. I loved her look and her voice and really hope we see more of her in this movie universe. She was fantastic.

MEDUSA - I had NO idea this character would appear, and even when they mentioned her early on I was like "aw I want Medusa in a movie." Part of me is upset she gets to be the big bad while Dr. Cyber and Dr. Poison are casually defeated, but she had some great moments and a really cool design. I also love the voice they did for her (it sounded like three different people?). Diana defeating Medusa in the way she does in the Eyes of the Gorgon comic was a great throwback, too.

And Ferdinand! I completely forgot he was in this movie until we see him in the maze. I wish he was used more or went on the adventure with the gang at the end. He's such a fantastic supporting character.

One last complaint... the beginning was rushed far too much. In fact, it was pretty much the first half that just kept zooming by timeline-wise. It was hard to keep up. I'm so glad they didn't spend much time on Themyscira, though. I am so sick of seeing her origin over and over.
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I do agree that the voice acting lacks passion. That's a general problem in a lot of these movies I feel. Like if I go back and watch BTAS, everyone has more personality in their voices (Hamill is obviously the stand out) than what we get in stuff like this. Though it got better as the film went on, and it seemed to be more on the heroes' side than the villains. All the bad ladies sounded good-to-great (Cyber being the best).

Also, I'd be over the moon if Claudia Black came back for Cheetah.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Also, I'd be over the moon if Claudia Black came back for Cheetah.
    Yes, please! And they definitely need to keep the voice for Dr. Cyber. I could listen to her all day.

It's not addressed either way.

Actually, I don't even know why "Bloodlines" is the title lol. Zeus is nowhere in sight thankfully, I don't think he even gets a mention.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Yes, please! And they definitely need to keep the voice for Dr. Cyber. I could listen to her all day.
    I could listen to both her and Black all day.

spoilers:
    thankfully as a robot her "death" is likely to be less permanent than Poison's. Cale's declaration at the end also screams "sequel hook," so I hope we at least get more of those two in another film. Throw in Circe and a beefier role for Cheetah and I'm down.
    end of spoilers

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

So who gives Diana Invisible Jet in this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    So who gives Diana Invisible Jet in this movie.
    spoilers:
    Etta if I remember correctly.
    end of spoilers

I'm glad the animation isn't too angler like the other ones. The only thing I have to say with their tech how come they couldn't deal with one of the monsters?
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 10-05-2019 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I'm glad the animation isn't too angler like the other ones. The only thing I have to say with their tech how come they couldn't deal with one of the monsters?
    The only advanced tech they seem to have is the purple healing ray, anything combat related are still primitive, and the most advanced thing they had for combat was that "arrow machine gun".

They could've made the spoilers:
    invisible jet be from Themyschira, to show that they have more than just the purple healing ray, but no, it's some goverment project Etta somehow stole
    end of spoilers

Either way thoughts on the movie:

spoilers:
    Having so many villains is a waste, Cheetah being defeated off screen was lame, Giganta ultimately is just a brute that gets defeated easily, Dr. Poison getting killed before she could do anything is lame, if you don't know much about her, like me, you won't even know why she's called "Dr. Poison", and with her being killed, yeah, no chance at doing more, Dr. Cyber has the best voice actress in the movie, and she does help to move the movie forward at least, but once she's on Themyschira, her usefulness is gone, and the main villains are dispatched too fast so Medusa could become the main threat, which, while she had a cool fight, she's an out of nowhere villain with only a vague background story about her hating Amazons, and no explanations on how she's around since she's said to have been killed, and how they managed to get her back, feels like they just wanted to have a giant Medusa on the final fight and did little to develop the other villains once she's around, or explain her.

Vanessa, she's basicaly what causes the entire plot to happen, and she just had an okay development, her motivations are certainly understandable, specialy since Dr. Cyber did some manipulation, but it feels like they could've done more, also, I have no idea why Medusa decided to poison her at random, it does nothing for the plot since the scene where her and Diana have a heart to heart, the focus isn't the poison, but Medusa trying to petrify her, speaking of that scene, big missed opportunity there, that was the one scene where the lasso of truth could be used, and it could be what makes Vanessa stop trying to kill Diana, but nope, the lasso is used all of two times in the whole movie, and it's only to show Diana's sincerity in wanting to help Earth, and as a gag about Cheetah deserving what's coming to her, that second scene could be used as a foreshadowing that the lasso can make one admit they're not willing to normaly, even if no questions are being asked, and that could be used on Vanessa, but nope, a shame that Diana iconic lasso wasn't really useful.

And Ferdinand, come on, you can remove him becoming a good guy and it'd make absolutely no difference lol, but maybe he'll be used in a later movie.

Also they totally screwed up by not having Diana gushing on ice cream for a scene

I'm only half joking on that, but an ice cream scene could show her bonding with someone in the movie outside of Steve and Vanessa, because her interactions with other characters is either limited or just professional, which fails to develop both Diana more, and the other characters
    end of spoilers

Oh well, short version, the movie is okay, it's like one of those action movies that you watch for fun and don't think much of it afterwards.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 10-05-2019 at 10:44 PM.

Incredible Member

Without heavy spoilers....is Vanessa the person introduced before she becomes Silver Swan? That's something I'm assuming they didn't have time for....

Overall, an enjoyable movie. I liked how they combined different elements from some of the best WW runs. I wish Villany Inc. had more to do but I thought they were actually utilized better than most of the Batman's foes in his recent movie. I also thought it's funny that they had Poison with a German accent (isn't she supposed to be Japanese?) but didn't bother giving Cheetah a British one.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I love the movie for the most part. I thought the designs and the voice acting were all great. The few issues I had with the movie were:

1.) The Invisible Jet wasn't created from Amazon technology.

2.) Giganta was defeated too easily.

3.) Cheetah shouldn't have needed Dr. Poison's serum to become more powerful. She should have been portrayed that way from the get-go.

4.) There was all of this hype about Villainy Inc. being the main threat of the film only to have a public domain character(Medusa) steal the spotlight at the end. I thought most of Villainy Inc. had a good showing but having Medusa basically own them all was a bit of a let down. Still, the plot was quite good.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Cheetah's role really could have been filled by any character. I think they would have been better served giving a more obscure WW villain some exposure. I guess since she's the most marketable one they felt they needed to include her?

It's especially odd because the arc for finding Themyscira this is partially based on had her as basically the deutragonist who was the one who found it.

Cheetah's role really could have been filled by any character. I think they would have been better served giving a more obscure WW villain some exposure. I guess since she's the most marketable one they felt they needed to include her?

It's especially odd because the arc for finding Themyscira this is partially based on had her as basically the deutragonist who was the one who found it.
    I kinda wish they used someone completely random like Zara or Osira in Cheetah's role. She was just so out of place in this movie, and I agree that it could've boosted a more obscure villain's recognition.

How did that serum even work on Cheetah if her powers come from an external, divine source? Unless it was actually made from Urzkartaga.