Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    It all started in the Justice League animated series back in 2001. Diana sense danger in the outside world. Hippolyta doesn't even care or the Gods. So Diana steals the armor and lasso without earning it and left the island.
    I didn’t watch that series...but I vaguely recall hearing about what you describe. Didn’t care for the idea then and still don’t.

Its true. This is origin from Justice League series, wjich doesnt seem concerned with Amazon training, so much as with Diana's magic powers and the mystery of her paternity, by one of the gods.

As for Etta, she's in the comic for comic relief, whatever race she is. That's the character; take her or leave her. Shes not Rosa Parks or Amelia Earhart.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-31-2019 at 05:22 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    As for Etta, she's in the comic for comic relief, whatever race she is. That's the character; take her or leave her. Shes not Rosa Parks or Amelia Earhart.
    I don't know why, but this just made me LOL for real...LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Its true. This is origin from Justice League series, wjich doesnt seem concerned with Amazon training, so much as with Diana's magic powers and the mystery of her paternity, by one of the gods.
    I used to say out of frustration-driven hyperbole that the DCAU set back Wonder Woman for years. Little did I know I underestimated the negative impact.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I used to say out of frustration-driven hyperbole that the DCAU set back Wonder Woman for years. Little did I know I underestimated the negative impact.
    I find it funny that you say that as I made a post several months ago saying that the DCAU has greatly impacted current Wonder Woman and mostly everyone disagreed with me. Personally, I actually prefer that Diana steals the weaponry similar to how it is depicted in Bloodlines as it does streamline the narrative and provides more avenues for exploration for the Diana/Hippolyta dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Lol that was never hyperbole man. The DCAU set a lot of characters back. John Stewart for example, lost his architect background and social justice interest to become a rather bland military man. Only one who benefitted from the DCAU, was of course, Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lol that was never hyperbole man. The DCAU set a lot of characters back. John Stewart for example, lost his architect background and social justice interest to become a rather bland military man. Only one who benefitted from the DCAU, was of course, Batman.
    I'd say the exposure Jon and Shayera got outweighs any perceived negatives in their writing.

Honestly, the DCAU version didn't affect anything one way or the other. It was always going to be like that.

I imagine for most writers, the most relevant aspect of Diana leaving Themyscira is the conflict it creates with her mother. Whether it's conveyed via entering & winning the contest against her wishes or outright leaving the island, the thing that matters is that Diana wants to go be a hero and Hippolyta wants her to stay.

I think another appeal of Diana stealing the armor and leaving is it saves time. To take the live action movie as an example...yeah, they could've done the whole contest thing and everything that goes into it. But then we're over an hour into the movie before Diana even leaves the island. For the sake of running time and pacing, it was better to convey Diana's skills with the training montage and Hippolyta insisting Antiope make sure she's the best warrior.

Similarly, with Bloodlines, I think they just wanted to recap Diana's origin in the first five minutes as quickly as possible before moving onto the meat of the story. Hippolyta outright attacking Diana was a little over the top though, I'll agree.

It's true, having Diana win the contest proves she's the best and most worthy Amazon to be Wonder Woman. But alternatively, I think some might see her being the only one even willing to leave at all and save the world proves it just as well.
    You also have the trouble of whether Diana's powers give her an unfair advantage against her sisters.

Speaking for myself, I can take or leave the contest. If there's time for it in the story, I welcome it, but it's not a deal-breaker. As said, I think the thing that matters is the conflict of Hippolyta wanting Diana to stay and Diana leaving anyway.

And FWIW, I think there is a lot of merit to the idea the DCAU did lasting damage to Wonder Woman...but that's a whole other topic.

I'd argue that Kingdom Come had more influence on Wondy than the DCAU ever did.

Mighty Member

Crazy. I was so excited to watch this movie when I first started this thread but I completely lost interest as more things were revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I’d dispute that pretty heavily. Far more people saw the DCAU than have read Kingdom Come.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Do you think Xena: Warrior Princess influenced Wonder Woman by making her more of a warrior than a diplomat?

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    Do you think Xena: Warrior Princess influenced Wonder Woman by making her more of a warrior than a diplomat?
    I'd argue that Xena was inspired by WW.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’d dispute that pretty heavily. Far more people saw the DCAU than have read Kingdom Come.
    And the DCAU version was based on Kingdom Come.