Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Less random than the other two examples it accomplished the bare minimum of being less random. But when its similar to pairing up Lex Luthor and Jimmy Olsen or Harvey Dent and Dick Grayson out of nowhere, yeah it's pretty random. Especially this late in the game in the franchise's and characters' respective history.
    Well it was a fresh reboot and Etta and Barbara had trouble with consistency anyway. Besides, Rucka probably felt he owed some people LGBT representation since the focus on the Steve/Diana ship meant we had one character who was bisexual in interviews only.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well it was a fresh reboot and Etta and Barbara had trouble with consistency anyway. Besides, Rucka probably felt he owed some people LGBT representation since the focus on the Steve/Diana ship meant we had one character who was bisexual in interviews only.
    I get that, but ultimately I don't think it proved a worthwhile addition to the book or their characters.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I get that, but ultimately I don't think it proved a worthwhile addition to the book or their characters.
    I have to agree with Frontier. It had good intentions, but it just didn't land in an interesting way, not helped by the fact that Rebirth Etta herself wasn't the most engaging version of the character. It's also not going to end happily: the cyclical nature of comics means we will never NOT have a villainous Cheetah, so their romance is doomed anyway unless Etta joins her in villainy.

Diana is bisexual in-universe too, even if her current love interest is Steve. I hope Kasia gets more screen time, and Hippolyta and Philippus finally cut the BS and seem to be a couple. I also think Rucka would have gone for Diana/Barbara if he had been allowed and that would have been far more interesting. I'm kinda hoping WW84 goes for it, though it would run into a similar problem of a f/f romance ending tragically, which is a well worn trope.

I still will always believe Rucka wanted the sexual tension and history to be between Diana and Barbara and it was nixed.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I still will always believe Rucka wanted the sexual tension and history to be between Diana and Barbara and it was nixed.
    100% agree, there were definitely some romantic undertones to Rucka’s portrayal of the relationship. Diana’s “bisexuality” is a farce in my eyes until WB/DC actually gives her a girlfriend. Right now it’s a classic case of talking out of both sides of your mouth, saying Diana is bi while only ever allowing her to be portrayed as interested in dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    100% agree, there were definitely some romantic undertones to Rucka’s portrayal of the relationship. Diana’s “bisexuality” is a farce in my eyes until WB/DC actually gives her a girlfriend. Right now it’s a classic case of talking out of both sides of your mouth, saying Diana is bi while only ever allowing her to be portrayed as interested in dudes.
    I thought E1 had her with a girlfriend before leaving Paradise Island?

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I thought E1 had her with a girlfriend before leaving Paradise Island?
    Are you thinking about Morrison's Earth One? One, it's elseworlds, two Mala hardly acts like Diana's girlfriend, and Diana certainly doesn't act like Mala's girlfriend. Mala has some lines like drawing from a spurned wannabe boyfriend, but it's really blink and you'll miss it.

Now, one can make a strong case that Kasia and Diana are a couple in Rucka's Wonder Woman Year One. But their relation is given far less weight than the one between Steve and Diana, and their actual shown interaction on-page can just as easily be interpreted as best friends. Or that Diana is in some form of "lesbian until graduation" before settling into heterosexuality with Steve.

In a very strange sense, the movie did a better job at respecting Diana's bisexuality than just about any comics version that I know of. I agree entirely with Vordan here.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Are you thinking about Morrison's Earth One? One, it's elseworlds, two Mala hardly acts like Diana's girlfriend, and Diana certainly doesn't act like Mala's girlfriend. Mala has some lines like drawing from a spurned wannabe boyfriend, but it's really blink and you'll miss it.

Now, one can make a strong case that Kasia and Diana are a couple in Rucka's Wonder Woman Year One. But their relation is given far less weight than the one between Steve and Diana, and their actual shown interaction on-page can just as easily be interpreted as best friends. Or that Diana is in some form of "lesbian until graduation" before settling into heterosexuality with Steve.

In a very strange sense, the movie did a better job at respecting Diana's bisexuality than just about any comics version that I know of. I agree entirely with Vordan here.
    They only have a couple on-screen interactions, but Steve does ask her if she left anybody special behind, and he clearly meant in a romantic sense and she mentions Kasia. So there really isn't much room for interpretation on that front. She and Kasia wanted different things and they mutually ended it.

I do agree that the lack of other solid romances with a woman could be viewed as "graduating to heterosexuality" though, but that may be hard to get around as long as Steve is the one they want to push and we aren't getting many flashbacks to her life on the island. Like SK said, I feel like Rucka wanted Barbara Ann to be her ex but someone nixed the idea and we got Etta/Barbara as some sort of underwhelming compromise.

Somewhat thankfully, the odds of Etta being in WW84 are slim to nil and Gadot has publicly said she'd be open to Diana's next love interest being a woman....

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They only have a couple on-screen interactions, but Steve does ask her if she left anybody special behind, and he clearly meant in a romantic sense and she mentions Kasia. So there really isn't much room for interpretation on that front. She and Kasia wanted different things and they mutually ended it.

I do agree that the lack of other solid romances with a woman could be viewed as "graduating to heterosexuality" though, but that may be hard to get around as long as Steve is the one they want to push and we aren't getting many flashbacks to her life on the island. Like SK said, I feel like Rucka wanted Barbara Ann to be her ex but someone nixed the idea and we got Etta/Barbara as some sort of underwhelming compromise.

Somewhat thankfully, the odds of Etta being in WW84 are slim to nil and Gadot has publicly said she'd be open to Diana's next love interest being a woman....
    Which is kind of a shame for me, because I adored movie Etta .

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Cover, logo and promo art of Wonder Woman - Bloodlines:

Source: https://twitter.com/TaurooAldebaran/...28559696801794

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I like the designs so far especially for Cheetah and Giganta(Dr. Poison is kind of hard to make out).
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Cover, logo and promo art of Wonder Woman - Bloodlines:

Source: https://twitter.com/TaurooAldebaran/...28559696801794
    Like I said it was in the DCAMU. They’ve changed the art style a bit which is good, helps differentiate it from Young Justice, and Diana is getting her Rebirth outfit at some point just like how Clark got his in Reign of the Supermen.

Wowww, Cheetah looks great. I'm surprised they went with the long hair since it's inconsistent with her current appearance, but I like it. Giganta's costume is pretty good, and Dr. Poison looks fittingly creepy.

I'm not crazy about Silver Swan's design, but I'll get used to it. Can't wait for this movie!

EDIT: If you think about it, it's kind of nuts that we are getting a superhero animated film where there's a team of all-female baddies. This is something that's never happened before, and rarely happens in even the comics. Wonder Woman's series once again leading the way for feminism. Women can be just as evil and formidable as men. <3

Plot summary:

When Amazon princess Diana of Themyscira chooses to save fighter pilot Steve Trevor, it’s a choice that will change her world and ours. Fulfilling the role of both ambassador as well as protector, Diana earns the name Wonder Woman from the gracious people of Earth. But her heart is as strong as her will as she is determined to help a troubled and embittered young girl whom has fallen in with a deadly organization known only as Villainy, Inc! Get ready for an exciting adventure packed with brutal battles, myth and wonder!
    There's also a preview clip showing the first time Steve and Diana met.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Wowww, Cheetah looks great. I'm surprised they went with the long hair since it's inconsistent with her current appearance, but I like it. Giganta's costume is pretty good, and Dr. Poison looks fittingly creepy.
    It's at least consistent with her appearances in past movies in this continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post

I'm not crazy about Silver Swan's design, but I'll get used to it. Can't wait for this movie!

EDIT: If you think about it, it's kind of nuts that we are getting a superhero animated film where there's a team of all-female baddies. This is something that's never happened before, and rarely happens in even the comics. Wonder Woman's series once again leading the way for feminism. Women can be just as evil and formidable as men. <3
    And I’m very glad they did go with the long haired Cheetah because I dislike the current look she has.

I like Giganta’s costume, it’s as cute as the one she has in Doomsday Clock, all Flinstone-y.