Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Tarantula was not a villain.
    Raping Dick would say otherwise.

Joker's Daughter! Apparently.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

UG! No please

Dick needs Larry. Also known as Nosyarg Kcid. Who is he?

He is to Dick, what Bat-Mite is Batman. And from Teen Titans the animated series.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    You know, as much as we all hate that character and that story......putting the execution aside, there's a lot of stuff you could do with that background.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trust very many writers to bring Tarantula back and make it a good experience......but a Punisher style vigilante killer is, on its own, a solid foundation for a Nightwing villain, and the rape makes it both personal and relatively unique. Not many heroes have suffered what Dick did, and as far as I can recall the only men in DC who have been raped are Dick and Aquaman (and that was a different kind of rape).

A good writer could do something with that, even if we all hated the original story. A lot of bad stories can still produce viable fruit, given time and careful tending. The original story might be complete sh*t, but that's what makes the best fertilizer.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

A lot of people get real squeamish about rape. It just doesn't belong in a comic book I'd like to be able to share with my grandkids. If DC wanted to do an Adults Only line of book where that sort of thing takes place as much as the writers and editors want (along with nudity, blasphemy, whatever), I don't care--just put it on the top shelves behind black boards (like magazines in airport terminals) and well out of reach of a G or PG-13 rated audience. Tarantula is TOXIC and may she never be seen again.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Nightshade isn't a villain but I wouldn't mind seeing them work together.

Multiplex could be a good villain for him.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    A lot of people get real squeamish about rape. It just doesn't belong in a comic book I'd like to be able to share with my grandkids. If DC wanted to do an Adults Only line of book where that sort of thing takes place as much as the writers and editors want (along with nudity, blasphemy, whatever), I don't care--just put it on the top shelves behind black boards (like magazines in airport terminals) and well out of reach of a G or PG-13 rated audience. Tarantula is TOXIC and may she never be seen again.
    I get what you mean but PG-13 shouldn't be for little kids anyway so putting adult stuff in PG-13 is not a problem.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I get what you mean but PG-13 shouldn't be for little kids anyway so putting adult stuff in PG-13 is not a problem.
    Ratings in the entertainment industry are very subjective, and the lines between G--PG--PG13 are often very blurry. I usually check something out myself then decide if it's for the grandkids at their ages/sensitivity levels, etc (or if it's worth seeing or reading again). Everybody has different criteria and there is no one-size-fits-all. Ratings are a rough guide, but it's up to parents (or grandparents or great-grandparents) to determine what they want their kids exposed to. I'm saying that if comic book publishers want to print controversial material, quit dancing around innuendo (a la Chris Claremont) and shaded colorations (a la Batman Damned #1 and its reprints)--just print a line of adult books so the "creators" can go as wild as they want and get it out of their systems so they (hopefully) won't be sprinkling it around in all-ages books.
    Last edited by oasis1313; 02-18-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Joker's Daughter! Apparently.
    She shouldn't even be a villain.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    But apart from this she was never really written as a villain. I think she was actually intended to be something like his version of Electra.

And the comics never really treated it as rape.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

If they bring the character back, the rape should never happen. Most writers simply aren’t competent enough to handle the initial event itself and it’s immediate fall out, let alone the long term effects. It’ll likely just end up being something that’s occasionally mentioned but largely ignored anyway so it’d be better off for everybody involved to just not go down that road.

Than again the same thing can be said for death/resurrection or other highly truamatic events but that’s never seems to stop writers before so...

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Ratings in the entertainment industry are very subjective, and the lines between G--PG--PG13 are often very blurry. I usually check something out myself then decide if it's for the grandkids at their ages/sensitivity levels, etc (or if it's worth seeing or reading again). Everybody has different criteria and there is no one-size-fits-all. Ratings are a rough guide, but it's up to parents (or grandparents or great-grandparents) to determine what they want their kids exposed to. I'm saying that if comic book publishers want to print controversial material, quit dancing around innuendo (a la Chris Claremont) and shaded colorations (a la Batman Damned #1 and its reprints)--just print a line of adult books so the "creators" can go as wild as they want and get it out of their systems so they (hopefully) won't be sprinkling it around in all-ages books.
    Considering the age of the average comic reader, if there was going to be an age-specific imprint, it'd be for kids, not adults. The standard DCU is generally in a PG-13 venue, occasionally skirting the edge into a higher rating (Batman roof top sex scenes, for example). Stuff that's strictly kid appropriate would be the stuff that gets put into a small, limited imprint (Zoom and Ink, for instance).

I dont think its smart long-term business to put so little effort into younger generations.....but the distribution model and release schedule aren't attracting many kids who don't get pulled in by us older fans anyway.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

But apart from this she was never really written as a villain. I think she was actually intended to be something like his version of Electra.

The comics also victim blamed Jason Todd for his death for YEARS when he went in to try and save his mother.

Just because the comics try to portray something differently after the fact, doesn't make it true.

Which is a problem.

BANNED

Uh, when there are two parties to the sexual activity and one of them is not consenting to it, it's rape.