Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default What Rogues Could Nightwing Poach From Other Heroes?

In several discussion threads we've talked about one of the consistent problems in all Nightwing runs and that is consistent use of rogues for him to face off against.

There have been a few interesting villains introduced in the Nightwing books... Raptor, William Cobb, Shrike, Marionette... to name a few, but what about underutilized rogues in other galleries? Villains that with a fresh approach by a talented writer could be made into an excellent foil for Dick Grayson, kind of like Prankster during Higgins run and Professor Pyg and the Circus of Crime during the BatDick run?

From Batman I could see poaching Black Spider, Catman, Calculator, Electrocutioner and Tiger Shark.

From Superman Prankster and Riot

From Wonder Woman Angle Man and a reimagined Captain Wonder

From Aquaman Blackjack and Siren

From Green Lantern Gambler, Icicle, and Sportsmaster

From the Flash Suit and Thorn

Others Clock King, Jinx, Nightshade, Roulette, and Shimmer
    What I Read: Nightwing, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Justice League, Batman, Detective Comics, Batgirl, , The Flash, Action Comics, Superman, and Suicide Squad

What I Miss: Justice League and Justice League Unlimited TV Series, Wolverine and the X-Men TV Series and the Marvel Comics that got me into reading comics to begin with.

"I can't wait until the 'Ric' plot line ends!"

I honestly don't think he needs to poach villains from other heroes; I think his own villains need to be revisited. I think poaching some Batman villains from when he was Robin makes sense, and I think he should have a few villains from NTT era Titans as personal rouges.

I do think the Royal Flush Gang needs to move to bludhaven though. Thats one that is too clear. Any Gambling or Showbiz themed villain really could be borrowed effectively.

BANNED

Well Cobb was not introduced in Nightwing books though. His story started in Snyder's Batman and ended in Arkham War.

I thought Tiger Shark was already his villain?

The ones introduced, or reintroduced in Shark’s case, when he was Batman can go either way.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-01-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I thought Tiger Shark was already his villain?
    He was Dickbats villain during Dark Mirror, but like everything from that era, DC seems to think he belongs to Bruce.
    What I Read: Nightwing, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Justice League, Batman, Detective Comics, Batgirl, , The Flash, Action Comics, Superman, and Suicide Squad

What I Miss: Justice League and Justice League Unlimited TV Series, Wolverine and the X-Men TV Series and the Marvel Comics that got me into reading comics to begin with.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by wvchemteach View Post
    Others Clock King, Jinx, Nightshade, Roulette, and Shimmer
    The Clock was actually originally a villain from Dick's golden age solo stories. He was iirc Dick's only reoccurring villain from that time.

Red X, from Robin Nightwing.

With Jason under the mask, trolling Dick.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

He doesn't need to poach any of them. The villains introduced in Grayson and Seeley's run (Raptor, Dr. Levictus, Mr. Nice) can be utilized. And he has a strong claim on the likes of Pyg, the Circus of the Strange, Flamingo and Le Bossu already, they are pretty much his villains and should be shifted away from Bruce altogether.

Since Pyg, Phosphorous Rex abd Flamingo were all introduced as being opponents of Future!Damian first before Morrison decided to move them to the present, the other mentioned names (Weasel, Max Roboto, the Sphinx, Loveless, the Candyman) should be introduced in the present as foes for Dick. He also has a solid claim on sharing Dr. Hurt and the Club of Villains, the latter group fitting in with the globe trotting Agent 37 style stories.

He's got a pretty solid list to work from already.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    He doesn't need to poach any of them. The villains introduced in Grayson and Seeley's run (Raptor, Dr. Levictus, Mr. Nice) can be utilized. And he has a strong claim on the likes of Pyg, the Circus of the Strange, Flamingo and Le Bossu already, they are pretty much his villains and should be shifted away from Bruce altogether.

Since Pyg, Phosphorous Rex abd Flamingo were all introduced as being opponents of Future!Damian first before Morrison decided to move them to the present, the other mentioned names (Weasel, Max Roboto, the Sphinx, Loveless, the Candyman) should be introduced in the present as foes for Dick. He also has a solid claim on sharing Dr. Hurt and the Club of Villains, the latter group fitting in with the globe trotting Agent 37 style stories.

Well, they would need to revive Raptor somehow, but I would be for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wvchemteach View Post
    He was Dickbats villain during Dark Mirror, but like everything from that era, DC seems to think he belongs to Bruce.
    That sucks, I always assumed he appeared in the Rebirth run somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    That sucks, I always assumed he appeared in the Rebirth run somewhere.
    Seely used him in his Bludhaven run alongside Blockbuster. But Blockbuster took him down, not Nightwing.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Well, they would need to revive Raptor somehow, but I would be for it.
    Thankfully death is never permanent in comics!

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

I agree with this. And when you factor in other rogues like Lady Vic, Blockbuster, Torque, Brutale, etc., from the Dixon era on top of Raptor, Deathwing, Prankster (already nabbed from Metropolis) and the Judge as well as Pyg, Flamingo, and the other DickBats villains, Nightwing's got a damn solid foundation of rogues. They just need to be used and developed. The problem, as always, is consistency. The bad guys Dick has are fine on a conceptual level, but writers rarely use them.

But if you're gonna steal other villains to pad things out (which I totally support) then I can think of several villains to take from the different corners of the DCU that Dick is close to.

Roxy Rocket. If you can find a better bad girl to fill in the "Catwoman/femme fatale" slot in Dick's rogues gallery, I'll send you five dollars. Roxy is a crazy, high-flying adrenaline junkie who steals stuff mostly just because its fun to make the cops chase her. She's shown up so rarely she's basically a blank slate for Dick's writers to develop. And she's a redhead.

The Bomb Squad. The team of Electrocutioner and Plastique make for a really fun Z-list villain team, and Dick needs villains he can take on without it having to be a huge, issue-long battle. These two are ridiculous, they know it, and they soldier on anyway. Who could ask for more?

HIVE. A international terror group combined with super scientists, HIVE is basically the DC version of AIM and they've been a thorn in Dick's side since his days with the Titans. They work well for espionage/spy/thriller stories or for more straight-laced superhero narratives about giant evil robots and plots of world domination. And the various versions of Queen Bee, from the creepy alien hive-mind slaver to the mind controlling ruler of Biyala offers a ton of interesting ways to take the organization.

Red X. I never watched the old Titans cartoon, but I feel like you can never go wrong with a mysterious villain with a cool mask who has abilities to equal the hero and rocks the unknown, mysterious origin. He could be Dick's Deathstroke if handled carefully.

Atomic Skull. It's always fun to see the hero tackle a villain who utterly overpowers him, and the Skull can survive a couple rounds with Superman, making any conflict a major (entertaining) struggle for Dick. And like Roxy Rocket, the Skull is largely undeveloped and unused by the Man of Tomorrow. Becoming a Nightwing foe opens up lots of room for the Skull to become a major player, rather than an also-ran, while providing Dick with a physical threat beyond anything he usually faces without a team behind him.

Riot. Anyone who remembers this D-list Superman villain probably wishes they didn't, because he was just the worst. But an insane nihilist who's basically a city-wide mob all on his own (he was a duplicator, for those who dont know) has potential as a more street level threat and could pose a fun, interesting challenge to Nightwing.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I agree with this. And when you factor in other rogues like Lady Vic, Blockbuster, Torque, Brutale, etc., from the Dixon era on top of Raptor, Deathwing, Prankster (already nabbed from Metropolis) and the Judge as well as Pyg, Flamingo, and the other DickBats villains, Nightwing's got a damn solid foundation of rogues. They just need to be used and developed. The problem, as always, is consistency. The bad guys Dick has are fine on a conceptual level, but writers rarely use them.

But if you're gonna steal other villains to pad things out (which I totally support) then I can think of several villains to take from the different corners of the DCU that Dick is close to.

Roxy Rocket. If you can find a better bad girl to fill in the "Catwoman/femme fatale" slot in Dick's rogues gallery, I'll send you five dollars. Roxy is a crazy, high-flying adrenaline junkie who steals stuff mostly just because its fun to make the cops chase her. She's shown up so rarely she's basically a blank slate for Dick's writers to develop. And she's a redhead.

The Bomb Squad. The team of Electrocutioner and Plastique make for a really fun Z-list villain team, and Dick needs villains he can take on without it having to be a huge, issue-long battle. These two are ridiculous, they know it, and they soldier on anyway. Who could ask for more?

HIVE. A international terror group combined with super scientists, HIVE is basically the DC version of AIM and they've been a thorn in Dick's side since his days with the Titans. They work well for espionage/spy/thriller stories or for more straight-laced superhero narratives about giant evil robots and plots of world domination. And the various versions of Queen Bee, from the creepy alien hive-mind slaver to the mind controlling ruler of Biyala offers a ton of interesting ways to take the organization.

Red X. I never watched the old Titans cartoon, but I feel like you can never go wrong with a mysterious villain with a cool mask who has abilities to equal the hero and rocks the unknown, mysterious origin. He could be Dick's Deathstroke if handled carefully.

Atomic Skull. It's always fun to see the hero tackle a villain who utterly overpowers him, and the Skull can survive a couple rounds with Superman, making any conflict a major (entertaining) struggle for Dick. And like Roxy Rocket, the Skull is largely undeveloped and unused by the Man of Tomorrow. Becoming a Nightwing foe opens up lots of room for the Skull to become a major player, rather than an also-ran, while providing Dick with a physical threat beyond anything he usually faces without a team behind him.

Riot. Anyone who remembers this D-list Superman villain probably wishes they didn't, because he was just the worst. But an insane nihilist who's basically a city-wide mob all on his own (he was a duplicator, for those who dont know) has potential as a more street level threat and could pose a fun, interesting challenge to Nightwing.
    There's some videos on "Best of Red X" on youtube. And one of the prevailing theories on him, is that he's that universe's version of Jason Todd. And it should be noted, Red X on the show was only a thief. A good one, but a thief. And one of the very few to never be apprehended by the Titans.