Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    There's some videos on "Best of Red X" on youtube. And one of the prevailing theories on him, is that he's that universe's version of Jason Todd. And it should be noted, Red X on the show was only a thief. A good one, but a thief. And one of the very few to never be apprehended by the Titans.
    I watched a couple of those a while back, actually, when Red X showed up in the background of TTGO! (my daughter loves that show). That's what put the idea in my head, actually. Seemed like an interesting character, and I like the idea of a thief who matches Dick's ability but isn't a some wild, huge threat to all that is good in the world.

I think if I had my way about it, I'd keep the mystery going indefinitely. Better to not know who is behind the mask. Sorta akin to Logan's origin being shrouded in mystery (I feel like once that was revealed Wolverine lost something).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I watched a couple of those a while back, actually, when Red X showed up in the background of TTGO! (my daughter loves that show). That's what put the idea in my head, actually. Seemed like an interesting character, and I like the idea of a thief who matches Dick's ability but isn't a some wild, huge threat to all that is good in the world.

I think if I had my way about it, I'd keep the mystery going indefinitely. Better to not know who is behind the mask. Sorta akin to Logan's origin being shrouded in mystery (I feel like once that was revealed Wolverine lost something).
    Still was never revealed by the creators, just that a number of things stick out that are rather Jason-like with him is all.

Red X originally was Dick. It was a persona he came up with to try an flush out Slade, but then later someone else took up the persona to Robin's shame.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-01-2019 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Red X originally was Dick. It was a persona he came up with to try an flush out Slade, but then later someone else took up the persona to Robin's shame.
    Yeah. Its the "who is the second one" that people theorize could be Jason.

Extraordinary Member

BANNED

Dick doesn't need to steal villains from other heroes. Someone with any imagination could cough 'em up all day.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Dick doesn't need to steal villains from other heroes. Someone with any imagination could cough 'em up all day.
    This is true. Dick does need new, original villains designed for him. He also needs the ones that have already been introduced used and developed more.

But stealing a few villains from other franchises, especially ones Dick already has ties to, works as a great way to get recognizable foes into the pages and beef up his rogues gallery quickly, which is important. If a hero is only as good as his villain, then it benefits Dick to battle some foes who are known entities even if they come from elsewhere. More people are going to take notice of Nightwing fighting HIVE or the Shaggy Man on a cover than a new villain they've never heard of before.

It's a short-gap measure; you don't want to use nothing but stolen villains but you need a bad guy with a solid hook while you build up the new faces and/or the Dick villains who haven't developed a strong profile yet. So while you build up the Judge or a new bad guy, you occasionally have Dick fight someone readers recognize to help keep their interest. How will Nightwing defeat a superhuman like Metallo? How will he handle Count Vertigo or Zoom or Giganta? That's a fun story to spin while you make Nightwing's own rogues gallery interesting in their own right.

It also helps Dick's profile, because if he can handle another hero's villain it helps show how capable Dick is.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Have things ever gotten really up close and personal with Dick and the Joker since the Killing Joke? I think that needs to happen. Even as a Flashback story.What about Catman? What's he up to someday. Is there an Owlman in which ever Earth that Dick lives? What about that Crazy Quilt guy? Some ugly history there. What ever happened to that Tarantula chick?
    Last edited by Photon Torme; 02-02-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Dick’s killed the Joker since the KJ, though he also became BFFs with him too in B&R (not really)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post

I loved this.

Any number of Superman's Golden Age foes would be appropriate for Nightwing: Prankster, Puzzler, Johnny Aesop, Funny Face, Spider Lady and etcetera.

Red X (the second one) would make for a unique villain. As technically, he is a Dick Grayson villain. Just from the Teen Titans animated series.

Still think it ought to be Jason trolling Dick, but that's just me.

Without the story behind the persona’s creation, I’m not sure Red X would be as good.

BANNED

Red X (the second one) would make for a unique villain. As technically, he is a Dick Grayson villain. Just from the Teen Titans animated series.

I think Jason would enjoy being a bit of a pain for ALL the Bat-Family.

Are you kidding? The idea that Jason just occasionally puts on a Red X costume and steals things so Dick has to chase him is friggin funny as hell! It's a practical joke I dont know if Jason is funny enough to think of or pull off......but I really want that to be the case, and if I ever somehow ended up writing Nightwing (Dan! I'll do for free, just let me fix him!) I would totally do that.

And Dick would never find out, either.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Without the story behind the persona’s creation, I’m not sure Red X would be as good.
    (meant to include this in above post, my bad!)

No, without the whole "who stole Dick's fake identity?" thing it wouldn't be the same. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, either, if what the comics do is equally interesting and fun. Making big changes to such a minor character usually gets a free pass from readers as long as its quality.

~ Black Panther.