The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Default Synder's Justice League Annual #1 Discussion

OK, I haven't been on the DC side for ages and I haven't touched Justice League since No Justice.

I mostly decided to pick up this issue because I wasn't even aware that Mera was on the team when I saw the cover. Imagine opening the book and seeing that Synder brought back Starman. Plus there were guest appearances from Kyle and Miss Martian. It seems that Synder's using aspects from the DCAU JL cartoon too, like that version of Hawkgirl and the Javelins.

As for the plot spoilers:
    it seems that Starman figured out how to fix the broken Source Wall using the remaining 3 Omega Titans and something with Hawkgirl's wings but there's a chance Hawkgirl might die. There's a scene where Kendra kisses J'onn and then Brainiac attacks where it switches to Lex and his team of villains bringing Brainiac back after he died in No Justice. Brainiac and Lex take some energy from Starman because they only had 5 out of 7 or something and use it to revive some new villain(?) who the book says is the mother of the Monitor and the Anti-Monitor. WTF? Then the New Gods and the Guardians panic and ditch and you find out from Adam Strange that Apokolips and Highfather's world are gone? And they show you Lex and Brainiac with the giant woman and it ends.
    end of spoilers

Pretty enjoyable although I wish there was more action. Looks like I need to go back to the older issues and pick up future ones.
    "Cable was right!"

Always Rakzo

Liked the bigger importance that Will Payton, the forgotten Starman, is getting although I wish he was more connected to the Starman legacy as in James Robinson's work. The worldbuilding and set-ups are pretty interesting overall.

That being said, I always had problems with Snyder's "the next big story" direction and now is getting worse since he just introduced a being that is "The mother of both the Monitor and Anti-Monitor" and one point one must just say "Enough!". The scale of the entity doesn't make it more compelling, in fact it just makes it more derivative and overused. The overexposition from both Snyder and Tynion doesn't make things any better either.

Eh, the art was good at least.

Astonishing Member

spoilers:
    Perpetua wants to destroy the multiverse.
    end of spoilers

I wish her the best of luck.

spoilers:
    I really do no like the DCU as it is.
    end of spoilers

Spectacular Member

This is Justice League Exposition. The overarcing plot is far too complicated, what with the Metals and the new Forces and the Seven Energies... enough, just give us a nice JLA vs the Royal Flush Gang issue.
    How ironic (choke)

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    This is Justice League Exposition. The overarcing plot is far too complicated, what with the Metals and the new Forces and the Seven Energies... enough, just give us a nice JLA vs the Royal Flush Gang issue.
    Yeah, i thought we were getting the justice league vs. the legion of doom, but this overreaching story leading to the next one, is rapidly losing my interest.