Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

The only "conflict" between Bruce and Clark I want to see, is what film they watch on movie night with Jon and Damian.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I don't think Mera is important enough to have an effect. She's gotten some spotlight from the movie... but she's still a bit of an unknown to even a lot of comic fans. Aquaman and Wonder Woman would be better as they are both founding members of the Justice League and 'core' DC characters.
    Uhhhhh. She was pivot point of Flashpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I think we've asked the question several times in the past on these boards.

Heck, even I made a thread about it a while back.

But, sure, I'll revisit.

I guess I still think Wonder Woman would play the Iron Man role and Batman would play the Captain America role, with Green Lantern playing the Spider-Man role (with Supes stuck in the middle).
    Lol this the most ridiculous thing I've seen all day. Do you even read DC?
    Batman being as paranoid and obsessed with contingency plans and surveillance as he is would make him the closest equivalent to Tony Starks role in civil war, if that's the scenario you're going with.
    And Superman being such a boy scout literally makes him the best equivalent to Captain America in the DC universe. I really have no idea why you'd go with wonder woman of all people. It makes absolutely no sense. It would be much more in wonder woman's character to be stuck in the middle trying to talk some sense into her friends to stop fighting. And also, Green lantern is an intergalactic police officer. He's off world most of the time. Why would this concern him much? Nightwing would fit Peter's role much beter
    Since he is Batman's protege but doesn't necessarily share all the same views. It would also make for better tension between the two.

Bruce is a paranoid control freak sure, but he doesn't trust anyone else to be in charge but him. He has little faith in the government and certainly wouldn't be willing to give them any authority or power over him or his peers.

If you're talking Bruce being the SHRA himself, then I could see that.

Diana however, is royalty born and bred to believe that it is only correct and proper for some to hold authority over all. She'd be well aware of the challenges and potential abuses of a SHRA but a princess/queen isn't likely to support barely organized vigilantism over a coordinated force with proper training, accountability, and resources. She's been a part of that barely organized vigilantism yes, but only because there's not a better alternative. And she often has strong ties to the government, military, and/or intelligence community. Presuming the SHRA was properly written and allowed the heroes the flexibility to do their jobs efficiently, she'd support it.

Hal Jordan wouldnt care either way, and likely wouldn't even know it was going on. He seems pretty disconnected from current events these days.

Clark would definitely be on Cap's side and not support a SHRA in any form. He's not a big fan of big business or government, even if he does have some individuals within both that he trusts and will work with.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

I would think that DaBronze was coming from the viewpoint that Diana having no secret identity is going to be more likely to side on the SHRA whereas the Batman whose whole shtick is based on having a secret identity will naturally oppose the act while Superman viewing the issue from both perspectives will likely try to mediate between the two opposing sides so a compromise satisfactory to both the camps could be reached by mutual consent.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Uhhhhh. She was pivot point of Flashpoint.
    Yeah. As a corpse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Diana however, is royalty born and bred to believe that it is only correct and proper for some to hold authority over all. She'd be well aware of the challenges and potential abuses of a SHRA but a princess/queen isn't likely to support barely organized vigilantism over a coordinated force with proper training, accountability, and resources.
    I think that approach rests on a simplistic approach to Themyscira, with far too emphasis on them having a ruling queen.

When I look at Themyscira, I'm seeing a commune that has its roots in the Bronze Age, but has developed freely on its own ever since. To them being a ruler (or leader) is much more about being responsible for others than holding authority. The way I see it, Hippolyte is an elected queen, not a hereditary one. And Diana's title as princess is not there because she's royalty, but because she's first among equals.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think that approach rests on a simplistic approach to Themyscira, with far too emphasis on them having a ruling queen.

When I look at Themyscira, I'm seeing a commune that has its roots in the Bronze Age, but has developed freely on its own ever since. To them being a ruler (or leader) is much more about being responsible for others than holding authority. The way I see it, Hippolyte is an elected queen, not a hereditary one. And Diana's title as princess is not there because she's royalty, but because she's first among equals.
    That sounds like a good reason for Diana to side with an SHRA. Especially if something like what the New Warriors did in Civil War happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That sounds like a good reason for Diana to side with an SHRA. Especially if something like what the New Warriors did in Civil War happens.
    What I'm saying is rather that Diana would be really careful and conscientious when approaching the question. She will look not only on the act itself—in detail—but also who is pushing it, the political context where it is made, the way the society approaches and handles registration, and lots more.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    I would think that DaBronze was coming from the viewpoint that Diana having no secret identity is going to be more likely to side on the SHRA whereas the Batman whose whole shtick is based on having a secret identity will naturally oppose the act while Superman viewing the issue from both perspectives will likely try to mediate between the two opposing sides so a compromise satisfactory to both the camps could be reached by mutual consent.
    Actually Diana does have a secret identity. Though that does kind of change a lot, but regardless if she does or doesn't It just wouldn't fit
    Her character to take on that type of role. Also I don't think superman would have any second thoughts about it either.
    Batman on the other hand, I can see him trying to impose his will and views upon others and though he doesn't trust anyone, he just might be down to the idea if he himself was the head of the initiative. Also as far as i remember you don't have to go public with your secret identity you just have to let the government write you up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerr View Post
    Actually Diana does have a secret identity. Though that does kind of change a lot, but regardless if she does or doesn't It just wouldn't fit
    Her character to take on that type of role. Also I don't think superman would have any second thoughts about it either.
    Batman on the other hand, I can see him trying to impose his will and views upon others and though he doesn't trust anyone, he just might be down to the idea if he himself was the head of the initiative. Also as far as i remember you don't have to go public with your secret identity you just have to let the government right you up.
    Diana hasn't had a secret identity since the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Diana hasn't had a secret identity since the 80s.
    Actually, after doing a bit of research it turns out it was during the time of infinite crisis... a pretty long way from the 80s. But still that wasn't the point.

Bats versus Supes with Wonder Woman and her allies being the peacemakers and telling them how stupid each of them are being.

Anyway, didn't this kind of play out in Moore's unpublished "Twilight of the Superheroes" pitch? IIRC, some of the Civil War elements were in it, at least thematically.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Bats versus Supes with Wonder Woman and her allies being the peacemakers and telling them how stupid each of them are being.

Anyway, didn't this kind of play out in Moore's unpublished "Twilight of the Superheroes" pitch? IIRC, some of the Civil War elements were in it, at least thematically.
    Moore's idea had more like 4 or 5 factions at war, with Constantine relentlessly stirring the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    I would go for a secret civil war between the DC villains.

Maybe Amanda Waller could try to take down Lex Luthor. That's a suicide mission especially if Lex is in control of say Amazo and Bizaro.

Or a free for all between Kobra, the League of Assasins, the Court of Owls and Intergang. With the Flash rogues stuck in between.

It has to be secret in a way that it falls under the radar of the Justice League.
    i like this idea. sounds like bendis might go with this in leviathan.

if its a war between villains, i'd go for black adam against lex luthor.