View Poll Results: Who Is Your Favorite Black Character?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Stewart

33 24.63%
  • Cyborg

12 8.96%
  • Mister Terrific

8 5.97%
  • Vixen

28 20.90%
  • Black Manta

3 2.24%
  • Amanda Waller

8 5.97%
  • Kid Flash

3 2.24%
  • Bronze Tiger

3 2.24%
  • Static

5 3.73%
  • Aqualad

5 3.73%
  • Bumblebee

2 1.49%
  • Steel (I or II)

3 2.24%
  • Black Lightning

10 7.46%
  • The Signal

3 2.24%
  • Other (please specify)

8 5.97%
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    1) Cyborg
    2) Firestorm (legends of tomorrow)/(Injustice Gods Among us)
    3) John Stewart
    4) Black Lightning
    5) Bumblebee
    6) Vixen

It almost as if the way to get these characters known is to put them on a cartoon or video game.
    While Firestorm has gotten more exposure recently, Static should definitely hold his spot. He's faded recently but, the impact of the Static Shock cartoon still stands for most. Firestorm still really hasn't had ~that~ moment.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Thanks to Teen Titans, more than the movies, I'd say Cyborg is number one. After that, Black Lightning currently has a larger profile because of his WB show.

To a lesser extent, Vixen (WB), Bumblebee (superhero girls), John Stewart (the JL cartoon) and Static (his own show), have some recognition, although their recognition is tenuous and fading, IMO, as time goes on and they appear less and less (both in other media, and in the comics).

And that's an issue, I think. Without constant reinforcement, none of them are going to remain in the public consciousness, not like a character like Superman or Batman, that DC could neglect for a decade, and would still remain strong. They need to be tended and maintained to a much greater degree, or they won't flourish.
    Bumblebee was showcased on Teen Titans Go over the past summer. Cartoon Network went out of their way to let you know it.

It almost as if the way to get these characters known is to put them on a cartoon or video game.
    It tends to be the path of least resistance.

Also there is that diversity hole that needs to be filled.

For most part that slot has been Cyborg. Because of Teen Titans and Superfriends.

Interesting enough if you visit Dollar Tree and look at the gift wrap-you see Justice League with Cyborg. He is the only POC. Also the design is from the 80s Superfriends.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    Who would you guys say are the most well known Black DC superheroes outside of comic book fans/in other media?
    1. Cyborg
    2. John Stewart
    3. Static
    4. Bumblebee
    5. Black Lightning
    6. Vixen
    7. Aqualad

Incredible Member

1. Black Lightning
    2. Cyborg
    3. John Stewart
    4. Bumblebee
    5. Aqualad
    6. Vixen

It makes me sad that Vixen is the least well known. But I'm glad CW at least tried to get her a spot on the shows, even if they had her grandmother erase her history.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    1. Black Lightning
    2. Cyborg
    3. John Stewart
    4. Bumblebee
    5. Aqualad
    6. Vixen

It makes me sad that Vixen is the least well known. But I'm glad CW at least tried to get her a spot on the shows, even if they had her grandmother erase her history.
    CW's portrayal of Vixen makes me roll my eyes but I appreciate them for having her in mind. I'm also bummed she's not well known.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    Attachment 89452
    Karen Beecher
    Karen is the first black superheroine for DC. A shame she & Mal don't get much of a push.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Karen is the first black superheroine for DC. A shame she & Mal don't get much of a push.
    I like that they made her a meta which to me is in the right direction already making her different from Wasp. I also like that her energy blast actually packs a punch and isn't weak. But her connection with the Titans early history is ignored or ruined at best.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 11-19-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Between Vox, Hornblower and Herald (IIRC), I never really warmed to Mal. Actually, the only 'Mal' I liked was the Guardian one from the Young Justice cartoon...

But yeah, Bumblebee deserves better. She's pretty cool, and fairly unique, not being one of the spin-off characters (not a Super-chick or Bat-femme), which seems to be a bit of an uphill slog at DC.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I like that they made her a meta which to me is in the right direction already making her different from Wasp. I also like that her energy blast actually packs a punch and isn't weak. But her connection with the Titans early history is ignored or ruined at best.
    Considering the state of the Titans and the fact that the early years are largely regarded as...um.....less than quality (Ive never read them myself) Im not sure if Bumblebee's ties to that franchise are a help or a hindrance.

Helped get her a cameo on TTGO! apparently.....but probably didn't have too much to do with her role in YJ. Seems like a "break even" to me.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

Cyborg, John Stewart, Static and MAYBE Black Lightning. To me I think that’s it. I’m not trying to be harsh but I think we overrate the general public a tad bit.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I really don't understand the thought process behind that, especially after the Wolfman/Perez era crashed & burned.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Between Vox, Hornblower and Herald (IIRC), I never really warmed to Mal. Actually, the only 'Mal' I liked was the Guardian one from the Young Justice cartoon...

But yeah, Bumblebee deserves better. She's pretty cool, and fairly unique, not being one of the spin-off characters (not a Super-chick or Bat-femme), which seems to be a bit of an uphill slog at DC.
    Mal should get more due to his historical significance, also.

I agree with you in that the YJ Guardian interpretation of Mal was my favorite incarnation. I would just use his sonic powers to enhance his physical abilities, with a blast as a final attack.

DC literally has their own unique versions of Captain America & the Wasp sitting on the shelf.

I did enjoy Mal on YJ, but none of his comic versions has ever managed to grab my interest.

Given the historic place he and Karen have it *is* a shame that more isn't done with them. I feel like DC itself forgets they exist more often than not.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I did enjoy Mal on YJ, but none of his comic versions has ever managed to grab my interest.

Given the historic place he and Karen have it *is* a shame that more isn't done with them. I feel like DC itself forgets they exist more often than not.
    I remember pondering an alternate history where Wolfman/Perez had chosen to not introduce Starfire and Raven, and instead continued forward with Bumblebee and Lilith (retconned to get some of Raven's origin, so that the Trigon storyline could go on). All classic Titans, no new characters. No idea who would have been in place of Cyborg. Mal? Golden Eagle? Duela Dent? Roy or Garth? Gnark? Tons of choices! Mal, with the Hornblower horn, could certainly take on the 'blasting peeps with my sonic weapon' role of Cyborg.

Jo Muellin was pretty cool in Far Sector #1