View Poll Results: Who Is Your Favorite Black Character?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Stewart

33 24.63%
  • Cyborg

12 8.96%
  • Mister Terrific

8 5.97%
  • Vixen

28 20.90%
  • Black Manta

3 2.24%
  • Amanda Waller

8 5.97%
  • Kid Flash

3 2.24%
  • Bronze Tiger

3 2.24%
  • Static

5 3.73%
  • Aqualad

5 3.73%
  • Bumblebee

2 1.49%
  • Steel (I or II)

3 2.24%
  • Black Lightning

10 7.46%
  • The Signal

3 2.24%
  • Other (please specify)

8 5.97%
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Naw brah. He's right.

Unless he's stated "I haven't read these books" its senseless to assume he's parroting. More importantly, noticing the "neutered black guy" ... in AMERICAN fiction doesn't take rocket science.
    I mean I know its easy to get on the internet and argue things like "Nu-uh" but he's not in some minority of people who notice that going on.
    Its a thing that been driven by a historic curiosity and lets be honest "Fear" concerning black sexuality, from Hotentot venus to blaxplotation to now...
    Where the in vogue thing for many years is to play black characters ESPECIALLY BLACK men as either luke cage sex pots or as the safe/magical negro/neutered
    I mean if you don't see it that way? Hey no problem.

However, it comes off a little goofy to play it as if someone who DOES see it as lacking original thought. Especially based on the assumption of what we have or haven't read.

Aside from that... I mean the majority of superheroes loses family and have to fight an evil duplicate of themselves. . . Bizzaro, Joker, Promethueus, Sinestro, Black Adam, Ocean Master, Zoom, Venom ... ... ... anti-man...
    There's nothing really to focus on there that affects black heroes thats just generic hero thing, just like having a love interest, Right Cyborg? Oh... right.

I mean thats not even an attack. I just saying people are seeing things from different angle, try not to assume someones being disingenuous or even ignorant cause they see things different with the same input.
    Ymmv

EDIT:

This... I kind of agree with this though...

I don't know how far down it is, but it IS far below things like *Existing* and *getting consistent use* and other frustrating things.
    Where is this list of black men in fiction who are missing their penises? It's one thing to complain about black people not being allowed to be as sexual as white characters but what you're talking about is an entirely different beast.

Cyborg had two main love interests pre-flashpoint and has a girlfriend (whom he was shown having sex with) post-flashpoint. Wanna try again?

The person I was responding to was complaining about black characters not being allowed to do what white characters typically do. I pointed out two instances of that in Gen:Lock.

Mighty Member

I really don’t like name Gamma Knife. But idc I’d like to see more of her.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11...y-15-spoilers/
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    I really don’t like name Gamma Knife. But idc I’d like to see more of her.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11...y-15-spoilers/
    Apparently she's the daughter of one Space Ranger... Does anyone better versed than me in the arcane of ancient DC character could tell me who that is ? Because she does look dope !

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Apparently she's the daughter of one Space Ranger... Does anyone better versed than me in the arcane of ancient DC character could tell me who that is ? Because she does look dope !
    He’s a very, very, very, very, VERY obscure character. DC’s cosmic corner has a lot of deep cuts. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Ranger
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Where is this list of black men in fiction who are missing their penises? It's one thing to complain about black people not being allowed to be as sexual as white characters but what you're talking about is an entirely different beast.

Cyborg had two main love interests pre-flashpoint and has a girlfriend (whom he was shown having sex with) post-flashpoint. Wanna try again?

The person I was responding to was complaining about black characters not being allowed to do what white characters typically do. I pointed out two instances of that in Gen:Lock.

Originally Posted by Raijin View Post

I get that. But seeing the same arguments in a APPRECIATION thread gets old and super depressing. I know that comic book fans are a whiny bunch (it's just facts!) but sheesh. You have people on here talking about Cyborg's penis or lack of a penis. Seriously? I rather people just say they don't care for the character than to see fake woke conspiracy takes lol.
    There's a lot of bleed over from the other threads, but youre mostly right about this thread prolly not being the the thread for analysis of whats wrong withe these characters, Woke Takes or sleep takes... I get the take it outside vibe.
    Consider it dropped
    That being said...
    We kinda moved on from this stuff to actually have an APPRECIATION thread. Which is only fair really. So I'll pass on the petty arguments here.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You're talking about me? Oh, I wasn't complaining. I don't care enough about these characters to do that. If Cyborg doesn't have a penis, that's fine with me. Though I do kinda' find it amusing, and even more so when DC pushes him as their main black guy/PoC character, or whatnot.

I was more so making observations. If people ask "Why aren't people getting into these black characters," or something like that, I could give you a whole laundry list of reasons. And yeah, while Cyborg not having a penis is fine with me, because I'm not invested in Cyborg and am just not interested in being invested in him, that is going to come up on my list
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 11-17-2019 at 09:17 AM.

Who would you guys say are the most well known Black DC superheroes outside of comic book fans/in other media?
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    Who would you guys say are the most well known Black DC superheroes outside of comic book fans/in other media?
    I'd say (in order):

Static
    John Stewart
    Black Lightning
    Cyborg
    Vixen

honorable mentions: Nubia (I've come across people who know there is a black wonder woman but they don't know who she is), Mr. Terrific
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Cyborg and John Stewart are undoubtedly the two post popular, with Black Lightning being a close second. Vixen and Bumblebee are also popular in their own right.

Iris West has also become well-known as a black woman to the mainstream, but I'm not sure that really counts since she's a raceswapped character, and besides she's a love interest/supporting player not a superhero. Still, when it comes to female DC characters in general, Iris is a notable example in my mind.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-18-2019 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'd say (in order):

Static
    John Stewart
    Black Lightning
    Cyborg
    Vixen

honorable mentions: Nubia (I've come across people who know there is a black wonder woman but they don't know who she is), Mr. Terrific
    I agree on with this list.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Ultimate Member

Thanks to Teen Titans, more than the movies, I'd say Cyborg is number one. After that, Black Lightning currently has a larger profile because of his WB show.

To a lesser extent, Vixen (WB), Bumblebee (superhero girls), John Stewart (the JL cartoon) and Static (his own show), have some recognition, although their recognition is tenuous and fading, IMO, as time goes on and they appear less and less (both in other media, and in the comics).

And that's an issue, I think. Without constant reinforcement, none of them are going to remain in the public consciousness, not like a character like Superman or Batman, that DC could neglect for a decade, and would still remain strong. They need to be tended and maintained to a much greater degree, or they won't flourish.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 11-18-2019 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Thanks to Teen Titans, more than the movies, I'd say Cyborg is number one. After that, Black Lightning currently has a larger profile because of his WB show.

To a lesser extent, Vixen (WB), Bumblebee (superhero girls), John Stewart (the JL cartoon) and Static (his own show), have some recognition, although their recognition is tenuous and fading, IMO, as time goes on and they appear less and less (both in other media, and in the comics).
    I'd agree with this. I think Vic is, hands down, the most well known and popular black hero in larger media (for DC). He's been in larger media since the 80's era Super Friends (whatever it was called) and has appeared in Smallville, the 00's Titans cartoon, TTGO!, the New52 inspired direct-to-DvD animated movies, Young Justice season 3, Justice League Action, the JL movie, the LEGO direct-to-DvD movies, multiple video games like Injustice, Injustice 2, and LEGO games, the Doom Patrol show, and probably a few more places I'm forgetting. As far as larger media goes, Vic has likely shown up more than the next four contenders combined.

I'd say Bumblebee is arguably second; she's been a big player in both versions of Super Hero Girls as well as Young Justice season 2. And I want to say she's had roles in other larger media adaptations too but I can't recall what.

Black Lightning has his own show, had a big role in Young Justice season 3, and.....that's largely about it I think. I guess if you wanted to say Black Vulcan is the same character you could count the Super Friends, and Vulcan is (to my knowledge) the same character with a slightly different name due to legal issues.

Vixen and Mr. Terrific both had minor roles in the JLU cartoon and the CW shows, and Vixen had that CW Seed cartoon too. Terrific shows up a few times in Justice League Action. I think Vixen might have too but I'm not sure. Oh, and didn't Terrific have a role in one of the newer Bruce Timm inspired direct-to-DvD cartoons too? The one with the Legion and Jessica Cruz?

John Stewart hasn't had a meaningful appearance in outside media since the JLU cartoon, I think. He's had minor appearances in Young Justice, he's a skin for Green Lantern in both Injustice games......and I honestly don't know if he's shown up anywhere else. I think at one point he was, at the very least, in the running for "most well known black DC hero in outside media" but I think he's fallen far down the rankings since the 90's.
    Last edited by Ascended; 11-18-2019 at 12:00 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

1) Cyborg
    2) Bumblebee
    3) John Stewart
    4) Black Lightning
    5) Static
    6) Vixen
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

1) Cyborg
    2) Firestorm (legends of tomorrow)/(Injustice Gods Among us)
    3) John Stewart
    4) Black Lightning
    5) Bumblebee
    6) Vixen

It almost as if the way to get these characters known is to put them on a cartoon or video game.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.