View Poll Results: Who Is Your Favorite Black Character?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Stewart

33 24.63%
  • Cyborg

12 8.96%
  • Mister Terrific

8 5.97%
  • Vixen

28 20.90%
  • Black Manta

3 2.24%
  • Amanda Waller

8 5.97%
  • Kid Flash

3 2.24%
  • Bronze Tiger

3 2.24%
  • Static

5 3.73%
  • Aqualad

5 3.73%
  • Bumblebee

2 1.49%
  • Steel (I or II)

3 2.24%
  • Black Lightning

10 7.46%
  • The Signal

3 2.24%
  • Other (please specify)

8 5.97%
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Lol...alright John.
    IKR? I love the 70s era of comics.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Before this gets outta hand, let's not turn this into a place of vitriol. I would like to remind everyone this is an AFRICANA APPRECIATION thread, meaning a celebration of all the black characters, it's not the place for us to be fighting over the legitimacy of any character's popularity. Unless someone comes forward and says "I voted for x character to spite y character" there is ZERO reason to perpetuate any theories that deminished the standing of any character in the poll or put forward in the replies. I don't care what happened on comicvine because, honestly, there is a reason I don't go to the forums over there often; the place is a cesspool of trolls and immaturity. If you can not appreciate one character without disrespecting another I politely suggest you take that noise elsewhere. Please, love, and thank you
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-10-2019 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Adding politeness
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Lol...alright John.

I want more John/Vixen interaction.
    So do I. I loved their relationship in JLU and I wouldn't mind seeing it in the comics. More interaction between DC's Black heroes would be nice. Add in the Milestone characters too like Icon, Rocket, Static, Hardware, etc. and I would be a happy camper.

We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Also, I feel like the Bat-Family has a "one-Black-guy-at-a-time" rule. They had David Zavimbe but then replaced him with Luke Fox. Now Luke is gone and they have Duke Thomas. It would be great if all three could be active at the same time.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Agreed. I voted for Vixen and it was certainly not to spite John. I love John- he's my favorite GL and I absolutely support a John/Vixen relationship even though they would probably never see one another lol. Vixen has been slowly growing in popularity too with her appearances on LoT and also her animated mini-series.
    I see a potential John/Vixen relationship like relationships soldiers are in when they go off to war or are called to go overseas. Or truckers who have families but are on the road a lot. They may have to go away a lot, but that doesn't stop them from having romantic relationships/families. Plus with all of the technology at their disposal and powers of the Green Lantern ring, I'm sure John could travel back and forth to see Vixen with no problem.

Plus I still want to see that whole Black Lightning-Lynn Stewart-Anissa Pierce-Jennifer-Pierce-John-Stewart-Vixen family group come to fruition in the comics!
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Also, I feel like the Bat-Family has a "one-Black-guy-at-a-time" rule. They had David Zavimbe but then replaced him with Luke Fox. Now Luke is gone and they have Duke Thomas. It would be great if all three could be active at the same time.
    There was also Gavin King aka Orpheus before David.

Wish the poll was multiple choice, because I like just about everyone here.

Probably gotta give it to Lightning. But it wouldn't take much for Vic Stone or Holt to take that spot. But hell, really, I could say this about almost anyone on the list.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-10-2019 at 07:02 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Looks like Vixen may be making a come back, Cyborg has pulled away from Mr. Terrific to take the number 3 spot and my boy Black Lightning's got a little bump up. Interesting developments.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Spectacular Member

Vixen gets my vote with John, Cyborg and Black Lightning coming in a three way tie for second place.

If DC wanted to make a Vixen movie, I think they should go with the magical side of her abilities. Give her magic beings to fight. I was thinking she should fight a high level magic users like Blaze or Satanus...which could tie into the Captain Marvel/Shazam franchise. I could also go with her fighting the tribes of Onini the Python, Osebo the Leopard, and the Mboro Hornets, the enemies of Anansi the Spiders.

I think Vixen is one of the best criminally underused characters in the DCU. I believe she has so much potential and appeal. For me, she was the one of the few good things from the Detroit era. I was really happy to see her included in the Meltzer Justice League line up. While it's been fun to see her in the Nu52 and Rebirth, none of those have been particularly memorable for me. I vaguely recall enjoying Return of the Lion.

I was not a fan of her previous power glitches, tapping into people abilities or the switch to Anansi avatar.

I prefer that her Tantu Totem be the source of the animal abilities (or even the Red connection). But rather than being magic based, I would have the Totem be mystically linked to the land and any animal indigenous to (around) the continent.

But I would love to read a Vixen ongoing series based primarily in a modern city/thriving country in Africa, being a model/fashion designer in that context with occasional jaunts to fashion week here and there, dealing with standard heroics as well as current social issues in context.

I love Soranik Natu. Not sure if she counts as Black though. Kid Quantum is awesome as well.

Speaking of the Legion

Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    I prefer that her Tantu Totem be the source of the animal abilities (or even the Red connection). But rather than being magic based, I would have the Totem be mystically linked to the land and any animal indigenous to (around) the continent.
    I like the notion that her powers were granted to her by the totem, and that a sorcerer or something might be able to mess with it, but that she generally doesn't have to be holding on to the totem to use her abilities. She's not Green Lantern, and powerless without her bling (or like early Thor, prone to losing her powers after a short time if she loses her grip on her bling).

It's also neat that she taps into all sorts of animals, but one could make a very different sort of animal-powers character by limiting such a person to animals native to their area. (So a Native American totem-user might be able to tap into the powers of wolves, bears, rattlesnakes, bison, mountain lions, eagles, etc. but Vixen can tap into the stronger elephants and faster cheetahs and venom-spitting Cobras, all tricks that are fairly unique to African fauna. Similarly, an Australian totem-user would have a completely different set of animals they could tap into (a ton more venomous ones, it seems!), and be quite different in feel, as that landmass lacks the strong or fast exemplars like elephants or cheetahs.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Yeah this is the real problem, a lot of artists don’t know how to draw black hair.
    Was going to post this. I even read on Newsrama, either late last year or early this one, about a Black artist talking about how so many people can't or don't draw Black people's hair with the nuance and the variation that White people's hair get drawn. There's a misconception that people in the Black diaspora can't have more than like 2 styles. And only one color, which is also false. A lot just default to a small handful of easy-to-draws that have been mentioned. That guy in the article even said that these don't always get drawn to satisfaction, which brings in the comment about hair texture that was mentioned here.

I think the guy was doing a book about how to draw Black people hair and hairstyles.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

I actually think Aqualad hit the jackpot with the blonde coloring because it's instantly recognizable in spite of the unimaginative style of the actual hair. I've always been a big proponent of letting Wallace grow his hair out and letting him have stylized cornrows or braids when he's in the field. I think his speed makes him perfect to play with the intricacies of black hair styling, which occurred to me when i was watching Mr. Terrific on Arrow and how he was able to go from giant fro to cornrows in an instant.

Oh and black female hair suggestions are welcomed as well, because they have their own issues when it comes to creativity when drawing their hair; how many times are we gonna have them with a giant afro or rocking two giant afropuffs? I mean, lord knows the lack of or inconsistency with texture when they draw black women makes it hard to tell when someone is deeply tanned or black sometimes. Although, Naomi's design and the character designs in Ironheart and Miles Morales: Spider-Man are definitely welcomed improvements and steps in the right direction.
    I loved how they did Holt's civilian vs hero look on Arrow. It helped make for a believable dual identity. And those cornrows just looked for awesomely sick in practice! I loved it! (Shame he wasn't used more often and more sincerely in the show.)

It's unfortunate that cornrows have "gone out of fashion" that we don't get see Black hairstyles in comics wearing 'em. Not Black men, especially. Same for braids, too. (Braids, not cornrows or dreds/mini-dreds.)

But speaking of dreadlocks, the same really goes for that style, too. You don't really see that in comics, especially mainstream ones and especially on Black men in them. I loved Brightest Day's Jackson/Aqualad rocking legit dreadlocks. I've seen fanart of blond Aqualad with dreds, and I'd like to see that adopted in comics canon, to be honest.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 06-10-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I like the notion that her powers were granted to her by the totem, and that a sorcerer or something might be able to mess with it, but that she generally doesn't have to be holding on to the totem to use her abilities. She's not Green Lantern, and powerless without her bling (or like early Thor, prone to losing her powers after a short time if she loses her grip on her bling).

It's also neat that she taps into all sorts of animals, but one could make a very different sort of animal-powers character by limiting such a person to animals native to their area. (So a Native American totem-user might be able to tap into the powers of wolves, bears, rattlesnakes, bison, mountain lions, eagles, etc. but Vixen can tap into the stronger elephants and faster cheetahs and venom-spitting Cobras, all tricks that are fairly unique to African fauna. Similarly, an Australian totem-user would have a completely different set of animals they could tap into (a ton more venomous ones, it seems!), and be quite different in feel, as that landmass lacks the strong or fast exemplars like elephants or cheetahs.)

Agreed that Vixen should not lose her abilities completely without the Totem. However, perhaps the Totem amplifies and extends the reach of her mimicry abilities?

So without it, she's limited to whatever animals may be within her vicinity. With it, she can draw from the what's native to the land/continent, no matter which region.

I like bounding the power of the Totem to the land. So you're suggesting that the nativity/ancestry of the Totem-bearer dictates the land/ecosystem from which it draws on? That's a nice texture to the power of the Totem and could add to interesting storytelling.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    I like bounding the power of the Totem to the land. So you're suggesting that the nativity/ancestry of the Totem-bearer dictates the land/ecosystem from which it draws on? That's a nice texture to the power of the Totem and could add to interesting storytelling.
    It'd be a boon for Mari, who happens to come from Africa, which has the strongest, fastest, etc. land animals on the planet, and would neatly differentiate her from a Native American equivalent, who would still have the amazing strength, senses, etc. of bears, eagles, wolves, etc. but not her elephant strength or cheetah speed. I just like the notion that A) there might be more, and B) she'd be a cut above (sort of defying the comic book trend of making new characters 'better' than older characters, either having stronger powers, or all the powers of X + some extra stuff).