View Poll Results: Who Is Your Favorite Black Character?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Stewart

33 24.63%
  • Cyborg

12 8.96%
  • Mister Terrific

8 5.97%
  • Vixen

28 20.90%
  • Black Manta

3 2.24%
  • Amanda Waller

8 5.97%
  • Kid Flash

3 2.24%
  • Bronze Tiger

3 2.24%
  • Static

5 3.73%
  • Aqualad

5 3.73%
  • Bumblebee

2 1.49%
  • Steel (I or II)

3 2.24%
  • Black Lightning

10 7.46%
  • The Signal

3 2.24%
  • Other (please specify)

8 5.97%
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I had a question but I changed my mind, it felt like it would be more incendiary than insightful. Instead here's a picture of Young Justice's iteration of Black Lightning; which I adore

I think if they took this design and mixed it with his current one

It would be my perfect design. Especially the literal black lightning, MORE OF THAT DC!!!

And I'll pose a different question, am I the only one who isn't satisfied with the state of the character design for a lot of the black male characters? Outside their costumes, they are generally extremely samey and I attribute this mainly to the lack of creativity in their hair designs. Usually low cuts with inconsistent parts in them or army style fades, sometimes just bald. If you had the power to play with any characters hair design who would you fix and how would you fix them? For me, an easy fix would be giving Black Lightning his mini-fro/beard combo from Young Justice Outsiders. Another one, I'd streamline Duke's costume and grow out his hair to be more inline with his hair when he was first introduced and his Futures End Robin hairstyle.
    I actually hate BL's Cold Dead hands design. His classic design is his best imo. And yes, please just make his lightning black with the blue outline. It stands out and adds something to his character. Plus it reminds me of one of my favorite Naruto characters.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I'm curious about what your original question was.

This new one tho, made me remember that on Wednesday I believe, a female DC Comics(?) editor was asking for references to black male hairstyles in comics b/c she felt that most black male characters shared the same old haircut.

But to answer your question, right now I'm kind of fine with everyone's costumes but in regards to hair, I think Wallace West having two lightning parts in his hair is something I would change to just one. Aqualad is rocking blonde hair, I like it, keep the cut, but make the hair a little curly.

(I'm gonna have to post pics later)

And even though this question was specific to black males I want to add that I would also fix Vixen's hair, and give her back her Halle Berry cut b/c the natural hair that she's rocking leaves a lot to be desired when artists can't draw texture and don't reference actual hair styles.

I love black female heroes rocking the natural hair because too many times they were drawn with European hair but I agree with artist having no idea how to draw natural hairstyles. I must admit though I'm not a fan of natural hair Vixen. Either give her the pixie or like you said the Halle Berry cut. I also didn't mind the braids

And I'll pose a different question, am I the only one who isn't satisfied with the state of the character design for a lot of the black male characters? Outside their costumes, they are generally extremely samey and I attribute this mainly to the lack of creativity in their hair designs. Usually low cuts with inconsistent parts in them or army style fades, sometimes just bald. If you had the power to play with any characters hair design who would you fix and how would you fix them? For me, an easy fix would be giving Black Lightning his mini-fro/beard combo from Young Justice Outsiders. Another one, I'd streamline Duke's costume and grow out his hair to be more inline with his hair when he was first introduced and his Futures End Robin hairstyle.
    John needs something new both in hair and costume. Artist are making his low military cut look terrible. Just give him a dark ceaser if anything. But I'm over his low cuts. I don't know what I would give him. Bald is his popular look but eh. Costume is so old now.

Aqualad differs from the rest by being blond but I like the design by Phil Cho with the blond dreads but good luck with that looking good in live action. I would give him back his dreads like his Brightest Day design. As for costume I'm fine with it, I just hate the damn lore behind it. However, I love the costume from the Flashpoint movie.

I would give BL the mini afro back.

Kid Flash looks fine to me just give him waves like Miles Morales. Marvel artist draw him with waves. His costume is goofy to me. Don't know how I would change it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    I would love to see a black character going retro and having a hairstyle like Prince.
    It's funny you say that. Just the other day I was thinking about drawing a vampire hunter/paranormal investigator character that I had in my mind for a while and I was thinking about making him look something like El Debarge (lead vocalist) in this video without the mustache.

Last edited by Vampire Savior; 06-08-2019 at 02:48 AM.

I love the YJ Holocaust design.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    John needs something new both in hair and costume. Artist are making his low military cut look terrible. Just give him a dark ceaser if anything. But I'm over his low cuts. I don't know what I would give him. Bald is his popular look but eh. Costume is so old now.

Aqualad differs from the rest by being blond but I like the design by Phil Cho with the blond dreads but good luck with that looking good in live action. I would give him back his dreads like his Brightest Day design. As for costume I'm fine with it, I just hate the damn lore behind it. However, I love the costume from the Flashpoint movie.

I would give BL the mini afro back.

Kid Flash looks fine to me just give him waves like Miles Morales. Marvel artist draw him with waves. His costume is goofy to me. Don't know how I would change it.
    Hmmm, I'm fine with with John's fade but I would be more than ok with him growing his hair out. So how about for John we keep his fade, darken it to more of a taper, grow his top more and (bear with me) a beard, preferably his scruffy goatee from White Lantern John, to match BL's as a nod to the familial connection they were supposed to have.

I'm envisioning something along these lines, with the different beard style
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I love the YJ Holocaust design.
    Oh man I forgot about this design! That was such a great rendition of the character.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    It's funny you say that. Just the other day I was thinking about drawing a vampire hunter/paranormal investigator character that I had in my mind for a while and I was thinking about making him look something like El Debarge (lead vocalist) in this video without the mustache.

That's funny because after watching Blade for the first time recently I had a desire to draw a black vampire with slick back hair with the ends as the color of blood.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

I have had a crush on Cyborg since last August or September.

Wow, I didn't expect for John to take the lead in this poll. He was far behind

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

I used to hate Cyborg because I first discovered him through TTG. When I saw what he actually looked like via Six Flags Great Adventure's Cyborg: Cyber Spin ride (has anyone besides me been on that?), I fell in love.

Spectacular Member

Hmmm, I'm fine with with John's fade but I would be more than ok with him growing his hair out. So how about for John we keep his fade, darken it to more of a taper, grow his top more and (bear with me) a beard, preferably his scruffy goatee from White Lantern John, to match BL's as a nod to the familial connection they were supposed to have.

I'm envisioning something along these lines, with the different beard style
    Hell I wish I could get this for my damn self. I can dig John with it. He doesn't seem like the type wear a braided or dreaded style so some kind of afro works.

As for Wally, I think dreads with a fade would look good, it's a hip hairstyle and it fits the hair hole in his costume he has.

All-New Member

John Stewart by a large margin... then Black Manta, Mister Terrific, Black Lightning, Vixen, Static and Steel (II) in that order... I don't care too much for anyone else on that list.

I'm surprised Wallace still hasn't gotten a single vote poor Wally. I'm lowkey happy John overtook the top spot, Vixen had it by a WIDE margin for a while. We got Vixen sitting comfortably at number two, then we got Cyborg and Mr. Terrific sharing that number three spot. I have faith Black Lightning can pull up a little.

Current Rankings
    #1. John Stewart 25.32%
    #2. Vixen 24.05%
    #3. Cyborg & Mister Terrific 8.86%
    #4. Aqualad & Amanda Waller 5.06%
    #5. Black Lightning & Steel (I or II) 3.80%
    #6. The Signal, Static & Black Manta 2.53%
    #7. Bronze Tiger & Bumblebee 1.27%
    Last Place. Kid Flash 0%

technically the Other (Unspecified) section comes in at 4th but for obvious reasons it doesn't go on the rankings.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-08-2019 at 05:00 PM.

currently following:

I'm surprised Wallace still hasn't gotten a single vote poor Wally. I'm lowkey happy John overtook the top spot, Vixen had it by a WIDE margin for a while. We got Vixen sitting comfortably at number two, then we got Cyborg and Mr. Terrific sharing that number three spot. I have faith Black Lightning can pull up a little.

Current Rankings
    #1. John Stewart 25.32%
    #2. Vixen 24.05%
    #3. Cyborg & Mister Terrific 8.86%
    #4. Aqualad & Amanda Waller 5.06%
    #5. Black Lightning & Steel (I or II) 3.80%
    #6. The Signal, Static & Black Manta 2.53%
    #7. Bronze Tiger & Bumblebee 1.27%
    Last Place. Kid Flash 0%

technically the Other (Unspecified) section comes in at 4th but for obvious reasons it doesn't go on the rankings.
    Im actually surprised Black Lightning isn't doing better than he currently is. He was in 3rd place on the old poll, beating Cyborg and Mr Terrific even.

I'm not surprised John is at #1 again. He dominated the other poll, much like Cass dominated the Asians poll and Jaime dominated the Latinos poll.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!