View Poll Results: Who Is Your Favorite Black Character?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Stewart

33 24.63%
  • Cyborg

12 8.96%
  • Mister Terrific

8 5.97%
  • Vixen

28 20.90%
  • Black Manta

3 2.24%
  • Amanda Waller

8 5.97%
  • Kid Flash

3 2.24%
  • Bronze Tiger

3 2.24%
  • Static

5 3.73%
  • Aqualad

5 3.73%
  • Bumblebee

2 1.49%
  • Steel (I or II)

3 2.24%
  • Black Lightning

10 7.46%
  • The Signal

3 2.24%
  • Other (please specify)

8 5.97%
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Vixen gets my vote with John, Cyborg and Black Lightning coming in a three way tie for second place.

If DC wanted to make a Vixen movie, I think they should go with the magical side of her abilities. Give her magic beings to fight. I was thinking she should fight a high level magic users like Blaze or Satanus...which could tie into the Captain Marvel/Shazam franchise. I could also go with her fighting the tribes of Onini the Python, Osebo the Leopard, and the Mboro Hornets, the enemies of Anansi the Spiders.
    I kind of like this idea. Although I think she needs her own Villains instead of taking some. But I do agree of going all out on the magical side. Maybe create an animal spirit world for her and create a villain that curses spirits.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Speaking of the Legion

I always loved this iteration of Star boy, he just looks cool! It was the first version of the character I saw but It was a bummer when I found out this isn't the usually character and this was the shortest-lived iteration of him. I would definitely advocate for this version being reintroduced and retooled as a different character.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

You should add Rorscach to the list, DC finally has a major Black Character as big as Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman and the legacy is back. Two birds with one stone. Celebrate me lads.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Isn't that Cyborg? (major black character as big as Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman)
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

I honestly can't even decide on my favorite. It was originally a toss up between John, Karen, Vic, Virgil, and Kaldur...but I've been reading the 2006 Meltzer run of JLA lately and it's reminded me how much I REALLY love Vixen.
    Last edited by Blue22; 06-11-2019 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    Isn't that Cyborg? (major black character as big as Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman)
    Well, he's certainly been positioned as their premier black character for awhile, but I don't know if I would put him next to those names. I don't think anyone is on that level to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    You should add Rorscach to the list, DC finally has a major Black Character as big as Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman and the legacy is back. Two birds with one stone. Celebrate me lads.
    I want to celebrate Reggie (I love Reggie!
    look at that face!) but considering how badly Johns squandered that character, I can't give Doomsday Clock or Johns any type of kudos until he comes back and does something of consequence. I will, however, add him to the list.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-11-2019 at 01:52 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

I hate Johns.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    I hate Johns.
    I wouldn't go that far, his run on Green Lanterns (despite it's faults) is the stuff of legend. Writers DREAM about leaving that kind of impact on the comic book landscape. My issue with Johns is that for all the good he's done, he has definitely added to the overindulgence in nostalgia and golden-aged thinking, and he has yet to write a character of color, that I can think of, and do them justice (he was really close with Reggie tho). Although he does have one of my favorite lines from John "I don't have to do anything but stay black" but my love for that line comes more from being a black kid in the south and hearing that phrase a lot growing up. To be fair tho he botched the line a little, it's "I don't gotta do ****(anything) but stay black and die"

currently following:

Oh wow, Vixen has tied it back up, she may break away!

currently following:

I ended up giving her my vote. I just read the issue that's just her and Roy trapped under a building and WOW that was good.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I want to celebrate Reggie (I love Reggie!
    look at that face!) but considering how badly Johns squandered that character, I can't give Doomsday Clock or Johns any type of kudos until he comes back and does something of consequence. I will, however, add him to the list.
    His eyes are so dead.

Extraordinary Member

I wouldn't go that far, his run on Green Lanterns (despite it's faults) is the stuff of legend. Writers DREAM about leaving that kind of impact on the comic book landscape. My issue with Johns is that for all the good he's done, he has definitely added to the overindulgence in nostalgia and golden-aged thinking, and he has yet to write a character of color, that I can think of, and do them justice (he was really close with Reggie tho). Although he does have one of my favorite lines from John "I don't have to do anything but stay black" but my love for that line comes more from being a black kid in the south and hearing that phrase a lot growing up. To be fair tho he botched the line a little, it's "I don't gotta do ****(anything) but stay black and die"
    Johns has this peculiar ability to make black men very boring in a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    His eyes are so dead.
    Haha yeah, the dead eyed death stare makes more sense in context

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Johns has this peculiar ability to make black men very boring in a story.
    Very true but I think his first issue (the golden-aged thinking) informs his second (weak black characterization). Maybe it's a stretch, I'll admit, but Johns clearly writes from a place of high reverence for the old guard but that also creates a bit of emotional distance from certain characters he doesn't love because they weren't the focus for him growing up. This unfortunately usually means the black men who weren't always written the strongest back in the day. That's my theory at least. However, I do believe he is capable of doing them justice if he gave them the focus they deserve (Reggie was an intriguing character right up until he was revealed to be little more than a stooge for Ozymandias) but he hasn't done so effectively thus far.

currently following:

Mighty Member

I always loved this iteration of Star boy, he just looks cool! It was the first version of the character I saw but It was a bummer when I found out this isn't the usually character and this was the shortest-lived iteration of him. I would definitely advocate for this version being reintroduced and retooled as a different character.
    Wow. How many Starmen exist? I never knew there was a black Starman.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K