View Poll Results: Who Is Your Favorite Black Character?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Stewart

33 24.63%
  • Cyborg

12 8.96%
  • Mister Terrific

8 5.97%
  • Vixen

28 20.90%
  • Black Manta

3 2.24%
  • Amanda Waller

8 5.97%
  • Kid Flash

3 2.24%
  • Bronze Tiger

3 2.24%
  • Static

5 3.73%
  • Aqualad

5 3.73%
  • Bumblebee

2 1.49%
  • Steel (I or II)

3 2.24%
  • Black Lightning

10 7.46%
  • The Signal

3 2.24%
  • Other (please specify)

8 5.97%
Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, Tyroc is much closer, thematically, to Black Panther, than Batwing. More about his role as super-powered protector of Marzal would be interesting to read about, actually.

Marzal is sorely in need of updating and development, to come anywhere close to being 'DC's Wakanda.'
    It's crazy to me that when DC last used Tyroc they never even touched Marzal. I'd imagine if they brought him back now, given the massive cultural renaissance of Black Panther last year, they'd try to bring it closer inline with Wakanda. Well, that would be the smart thing to do buuuuut, even if they somehow remembered Tyroc and Marzal's history, DC has a tendency to zig when they should zag so I doubt it.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    I bet Tyroc isn't as sexy as T'Chadwick
    Wrong again

no one is sexier than Tyroc
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

He looks like a less sexier 80s Cyborg. T'Chadwick has that accent.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    He looks like a less sexier 80s Cyborg. T'Chadwick has that accent.
    I was being sarcastic, and poking fun at his ridiculous debut uniform, the relative "sexiness" of these characters are of little to no importance. Also, it's a silent medium, you can't really compare the "sexiness" of their accents...
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-16-2019 at 08:01 PM.

currently following:

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeneuron View Post
    Here's the scene from Sins of Youth Secret Files.
    Attachment 83445

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I love the idea of Tyroc, he's really the closest thing DC has to Black Panther and I don't think they noticed or intended for that to be the case. If there were any character I would want to get a crack at if I worked at DC, it would 1000% be Tyroc.
    It is amazing how DC was able to resurrect Tyroc from his rather cringe-worthy origins.

Tyroc is a great example of no bad characters, just bad writing of characters.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Going from my experience, it seems to me John Stewart is easily the most popular black superhero at DC, and he has the most passionate fanbase, by far. Thing is, he's also one of the more disliked as well, because he contends with other versions of Green Lantern. Thus, people who probably really don't have much of an interest in any of these characters will vote against him on those grounds alone, though that doesn't mean they're especially passionate for whoever else they vote for.
    If John Stewart was a real life pro-wrestler, the crowd would never be silent.

He would draw cheers & boos.

Extraordinary Member

Wrong again

no one is sexier than Tyroc
    Tyroc was based on Fred "The Hammer" Williamson, per Mike Grell.

Ultimate Member

It's crazy to me that when DC last used Tyroc they never even touched Marzal. I'd imagine if they brought him back now, given the massive cultural renaissance of Black Panther last year, they'd try to bring it closer inline with Wakanda. Well, that would be the smart thing to do buuuuut, even if they somehow remembered Tyroc and Marzal's history, DC has a tendency to zig when they should zag so I doubt it.
    In his last appearance, Marzal was referred to in a text box as 'Tyroc's homeworld' which could mean that they were just short-handing it (since everybody else had an actual 'homeworld' to put in that one-size-fits-all box descriptor), or that they were looking to update the backstory and have Marzal be like Braal or Titan or Winath, an entire colony world out there, somewhere, rather than a hidden extradimensional island on Earth (more like a mashup of Themiscrya and Bgtzl?).

I prefer the hidden extradimensional land option, if only because of how different it was from the dozen Legionnaires from human-settled worlds like Cargg or Imsk or Xanthu or Naltor or Orando, etc., etc., although I can certainly see where the whole 'fled there to escape slavery' angle would seem cringe-worthy if not handled well...

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    In his last appearance, Marzal was referred to in a text box as 'Tyroc's homeworld' which could mean that they were just short-handing it (since everybody else had an actual 'homeworld' to put in that one-size-fits-all box descriptor), or that they were looking to update the backstory and have Marzal be like Braal or Titan or Winath, an entire colony world out there, somewhere, rather than a hidden extradimensional island on Earth (more like a mashup of Themiscrya and Bgtzl?).

I prefer the hidden extradimensional land option, if only because of how different it was from the dozen Legionnaires from human-settled worlds like Cargg or Imsk or Xanthu or Naltor or Orando, etc., etc., although I can certainly see where the whole 'fled there to escape slavery' angle would seem cringe-worthy if not handled well...
    If they were planning on neutering the character like that, I think I'd prefer they just left him in limbo indefinitely to be honest. I prefer Marzal's original origin, slave revolt leads them to an interdimensional hoping island and they build an advanced civilization in isolation. That's such a unique take and it plays to an interesting sorta meta-wishfullfilment interpretation on the African Disapora in a way.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-19-2019 at 06:09 AM.

currently following:

I know they dln't work for DC right now but can we appreciate Javier Garron and Ron Ackins' work on Miles Morales: Spider-Man? Garron' s ability to draw well composed, distinct black character designs, Ackins' styling and natural mannerisms is phenomenal, and Javier consistently brings that same energy. I would love to see either of them take a crack at a few of DC's characters. My top picks of characters I would want Ackins' or Garron's take on (maybe even have him redesign them) if I could would be John Stewart and/or Cyborg for Ackins, and Duke Thomas and/or Black Lightning for Garrón.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-19-2019 at 12:42 PM.

currently following:

If they were planning on neutering the character like that, I think I'd prefer they just left him in limbo indefinitely to be honest. I prefer Marzal's original origin, slave revolt leads them to an interdimensional hoping island and they build an advanced civilization in isolation. That's such a unique take and it plays to an interesting sorta meta-wishfullfilment interpretation on the African Disapora in a way.
    That sounds good on paper but I don't trust DC to pull it off well.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That sounds good on paper but I don't trust DC to pull it off well.
    It's not like the pieces aren't there, the story already exist all they gotta do is look at how Wakanda's been handled and not fuck it up. I think there are plenty of writers on the market today and some at DC who can pull it off, the issue is the leadership. They don't even need to delve too deep into how it came to be, just say it's an advanced island off the coast of Africa that fades in and out of the dimension. They can save the origin for down the line, just so long as they don't neuter it by making it yet another random planet. At least until there are people in charge who won't want creative to water it all down or put people on it who don't care .
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-19-2019 at 12:41 PM.

currently following:

Default The importance of Milestone Media

I've been on a bit of a Milestone kick lately, so I'm curious who is your favorite Milestone character, title, and/or storyline? Me, besides Static (the obvious choice), I've always loved Hardware and Wise Son.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-08-2019 at 07:07 PM.

currently following:

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

why isn't Black Vulcan on the poll? BV forever my boyos
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.