View Poll Results: Who Is Your Favorite Black Character?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Stewart

33 24.63%
  • Cyborg

12 8.96%
  • Mister Terrific

8 5.97%
  • Vixen

28 20.90%
  • Black Manta

3 2.24%
  • Amanda Waller

8 5.97%
  • Kid Flash

3 2.24%
  • Bronze Tiger

3 2.24%
  • Static

5 3.73%
  • Aqualad

5 3.73%
  • Bumblebee

2 1.49%
  • Steel (I or II)

3 2.24%
  • Black Lightning

10 7.46%
  • The Signal

3 2.24%
  • Other (please specify)

8 5.97%
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    why isn't Black Vulcan on the poll? BV forever my boyos
    Black Vulcan is an offshoot of Black Lightning (there was some kind of dispute at the time that prevented BL from being used, so they made Black Vulcan) so it felt redundant to put him on the poll considering Black Lightning is already on it and more culturally relevant
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-28-2019 at 09:53 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

DC and Hanna-Babera didn't want to pay Isabella a royalty for Black Lightning, so they created Black Vulcan instead. This is why Isabella stopped writing the 70s Black Lightning series. His last issue featured a character named Barbara Hanna or something like that, and she was a thief who created her own fake version of Black Lightning. The knockoff is depicted as stupid. This was clearly a shot at Hannah Barbera and their Black Lightning copy:

Last edited by Vampire Savior; 06-28-2019 at 07:44 PM.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Do you even know how that issue ended? BL thinks he could be a good hero or something like that.

EDIT: also if they had named BV "Supervolt" it wouldn't have been that big of a deal (hopefully you know what I am referencing~)
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    Do you even know how that issue ended? BL thinks he could be a good hero or something like that.

EDIT: also if they had named BV "Supervolt" it wouldn't have been that big of a deal (hopefully you know what I am referencing~)
    Yes, I do, and everything I said is accurate.

Aaaand we're back with another update! John continues to hold his lead on Vixen and they both hold over 50% of the vote, continuing to cement them as DC's most popular black male and female characters respectively; but we already knew this . Vic is holding down the third spot with a slight lead on Black Lightning who has finally (I always believed!) cracked the final 4! On his heels is Mr. Terrific holding down that fifth spot, followed by Amanda Waller. Aqualad has pulled away from the Steels for the 7th, the Steels and Static are tied for the 8th spot, with Signal, Bumblebee, Black Manta, and Wallace West/Kid Flash coming in 9th place. Unfortunately, but understandably, my boy Bronze Tiger has fallen into last place.

Current Rankings
    1. John Stewart (26.36%)
    2. Vixen (21.82%)
    3. Cyborg (10.00%)
    4. Black Lightning (7.27%)
    5. Mister Terrific (6.36%)
    6. Amanda Waller (5.45%)
    7. Aqualad (3.64%)
    8. Static & Steel (I or II) (2.73%)
    9. Signal, Bumblebee, Black Manta, & Kid Flash (1.82%)
    10. Bronze Tiger (0.91%)

Other (please specify) 5.45%
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Incredible Member

has there ever been a reckoning to reconcile this issue of Gorilla City and where it exists in Africa-- and why this group of apes became the "smartest" beings on the continent?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    has there ever been a reckoning to reconcile this issue of Gorilla City and where it exists in Africa-- and why this group of apes became the "smartest" beings on the continent?
    Pre-sundering Atlanteans created an outpost there, experimented on the gorillas while giving them to eat strange algae which had the unintended effect of boosting their cognitive intelligence. The gorillas were smart enough to hide it long enough to rebel and kill or drive out all the Atlanteans. At least, it was the explanation in New 52's Aquaman.

BANNED

Results aren't surprising since you know that when these characters appeared in the DCAU Dwayne McDuffie ensured good characterization and positive representation.

The character concepts are also pretty empowering and clear wish-fulfillment. No disfigurements, gangbanging, or after school specials--just adventuring.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 09-29-2019 at 12:05 AM.

Whew, some good choices. It was a tie between Mr Terrific and Bronze Tiger but in the end I chose Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Results aren't surprising since you know that when these characters appeared in the DCAU Dwayne McDuffie ensured good characterization and positive representation.

The character concepts are also pretty empowering and clear wish-fulfillment. No disfigurements, gangbanging, or after school specials--just adventuring.
    Vixen just being the embodiment of sexiness.

I remember trolling the hell out of Hawkgirl fans because of the hate they throw at Mari.

Vixen and John ship forever...lol
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post

Yeah, they had such great chemistry together. Honestly, I can't imagine a lady in the DCAU who is interested in men that couldn't be charmed by John in that series. Pretty sure the ring wasn't his greatest weapon.

I do wonder from time to time what would have come if DC let McDuffie write a John GL series (should he have desired to, of course). I imagine he wouldn't get to be the star of the GL franchise (this WAS during Hal's renaissance, after all), but I can't help but think that was the best time to really propel John into the permanent A-List. Gibbons and later Tomasi made a lot of people Guy Gardener fans at the time, and I can't help but think John could have just as easily been pushed in his own book.

What's the consensus on Michael Holt leading The Terrifics? I love him on that team, but I do want to see him with a significant role in the returned JSA as well. I like to think he can pull double duty. He certainly did so during the JSA/Checkmate years, though admittedly that didn't stretch him as thin as JSA/Terrifics would be.

Have any of you ever heard of a DC Comics character named "Ghost Lion?" Someone online said the following about him: "Ghost lion from DC. I mean he tells the story and his characters from his story get alive. For example - if he tells a horror stories about monster then that monster gets alive and cause mayhem. If he tells the story that he will beat everyone then he has high chance of doing that too. I know sounds ridiculous."

I tried looking online for more information about Ghost Lion, because his powers sound interesting, but all I found was his appearance in "JLA Classified" #20 (he is the last character shown on the page below, and he's bringing a rhino in his story to life):

Ghost Lion 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 09-30-2019 at 05:34 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Have any of you ever heard of a DC Comics character named "Ghost Lion?" Someone online said the following about him: "Ghost lion from DC. I mean he tells the story and his characters from his story get alive. For example - if he tells a horror stories about monster then that monster gets alive and cause mayhem. If he tells the story that he will beat everyone then he has high chance of doing that too. I know sounds ridiculous."

I tried looking online for more information about Ghost Lion, because his powers sound interesting, but all I found was his appearance in "JLA Classified" #20 (he is the last character shown on the page below, and he's bringing a rhino in his story to life):

Ghost Lion 2.jpg
    I've heard of Ghost Lion when I was compiling the list on the first page. I believe they only appeared in like one or two issues, which is a shame because he does sound very fascinating. I do find it funny that they went with caring him "Ghost Lion" when Anansi (as one of the few icons of African mythology that transmitted to the west) or some kind of play on Anansi would fit his powers so well.

currently following:

Amanda Waller is a fascinating character who defies an easy description of villain or hero. That she does bad things with what she believes are good intentions make her intriguing.