View Poll Results: Who Is Your Favorite Black Character?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Stewart

33 24.63%
  • Cyborg

12 8.96%
  • Mister Terrific

8 5.97%
  • Vixen

28 20.90%
  • Black Manta

3 2.24%
  • Amanda Waller

8 5.97%
  • Kid Flash

3 2.24%
  • Bronze Tiger

3 2.24%
  • Static

5 3.73%
  • Aqualad

5 3.73%
  • Bumblebee

2 1.49%
  • Steel (I or II)

3 2.24%
  • Black Lightning

10 7.46%
  • The Signal

3 2.24%
  • Other (please specify)

8 5.97%
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I've heard of Ghost Lion when I was compiling the list on the first page. I believe they only appeared in like one or two issues, which is a shame because he does sound very fascinating. I do find it funny that they went with caring him "Ghost Lion" when Anansi (as one of the few icons of African mythology that transmitted to the west) or some kind of play on Anansi would fit his powers so well.
    Yep, Anansi immediately came to mind when I read about Ghost Lion bringing stories to life, since Anansi is known for stories. It would be funny if Ghost Lion was really Anansi in disguise.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Amanda Waller is a fascinating character who defies an easy description of villain or hero. That she does bad things with what she believes are good intentions make her intriguing.
    When I was younger I hated her but grew to love her over time. She's really a complex character when written well.

I've heard of Ghost Lion when I was compiling the list on the first page. I believe they only appeared in like one or two issues, which is a shame because he does sound very fascinating. I do find it funny that they went with caring him "Ghost Lion" when Anansi (as one of the few icons of African mythology that transmitted to the west) or some kind of play on Anansi would fit his powers so well.
    I guess they didn't want to make Anansi a superhero. DC's used characters from existing mythologies but never made them superheroes like Marvel did with Thor and Hercules.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I guess they didn't want to make Anansi a superhero. DC's used characters from existing mythologies but never made them superheroes like Marvel did with Thor and Hercules.
    they should:

they have a template

and an already established means

just say his powers come from the red and boom Super-Nancy the Anansi that flies! jokes aside, i understand they just didn't make the connection but still, it could've been a cool idea.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-01-2019 at 06:51 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

So interesting thing I learned today is that DC has a Jamaican Hero called Jet aka Celia Windward . I've seen her around rarely but mostly as a background character. She's a member of the Global Guardians and soon after became it's leader! Her powers are Electromagnetism like our favorite Dakota hero. I'm so interested in her now especially since she's Jamaican-British and I'm British-Jamaican.

You can add her to the list when you have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    So interesting thing I learned today is that DC has a Jamaican Hero called Jet aka Celia Windward . I've seen her around rarely but mostly as a background character. She's a member of the Global Guardians and soon after became it's leader! Her powers are Electromagnetism like our favorite Dakota hero. I'm so interested in her now especially since she's Jamaican-British and I'm British-Jamaican.

You can add her to the list when you have the time.

She basically controls the entire electromagnetic spectrum meaning she can use more than electricity and magnetism. She's basically DC's Monica Rambeau.

Jet also had a cameo appearance in the recent season of Young Justice.
    https://youngjustice.fandom.com/wiki/Celia_Windward

Incredible Member

So with the year almost up and seeing a comment on whether or not Vixen's character would be treated be at Marvel, how do you guys feel about DC's treatment of Black characters compared to previous years?

Do you thing the growing trends of DC changing characters to a mixed race or black and news of a black Batman means DC has no faith in their black characters?

What's the consensus on black character playing important rules in Major events?
    Last edited by Shockingjustice; 10-05-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    So with the year almost up and seeing a comment on whether or not Vixen's character would be treated be at Marvel, how do you guys feel about DC's treatment of Black characters compared to previous years?

Do you thing the growing trends of DC changing characters to a mixed race or black and news of a black Batman means DC has no faith in their black characters?

What's the consensus on black character playing important rules in Major events?
    I'd say the racial switch is less prominent than people imply it is, as for the state of DC's black characters (and by extension their characters of color as a whole), DC's still doing a relatively poor job; on the page at least. most if not all of their most popular and recognizable black characters are either support, ensemble cast members, or inconspicuously absent. the only black character in a leading role is Mr. Terrific, Black Lightning arguably is but he's leading a team that's anchored to and serves the Bat-brand. as for them playing a important roles in major events, not a single black character or person of color has played a major role in any of the major DC events except debatable Reggie in Doomsday Clock. they're doing marginally better by having more visible black character representation but none stand close to A-List status right now. Naomi's been a breakout but it's still early enough for them to **** that up and relegate her too; only time will tell.

edit: actually I just remembered Kendra Saunders is central to Snyder's Justice League and Jessica Cruz had major moments in Darksied War; both latinx women. so we have at least 2 characters of color who played major roles in major events in the last decade. if we stretch, I guess we could count Duke who helped Bruce pierce the veil into the Dark Multiverse, causing Dark Nights Metal. Although it's technically an important role it's a easy to skip detail that most people will miss and he never appears in the actual event, only the prelude.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-05-2019 at 06:30 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

BANNED

I don't know how much confidence DC has in its black characters, but I can understand if the company doesn't have a lot in them. The two most prominent and visible black characters DC has--John Stewart and Cyborg--are both fatally flawed...or at least severely handicapped. One is wearing a white man's clothes, with a white man's ring, in a white man's story, and standing in a white man's shadow, while the other is a robotic freak. *sigh* I apologize if it seems like I'm "tearing down" someone's favorite characters. I'm just stating the facts as I see them. The rest of the black characters are C-listers that don't have a lot going for them (decent solo runs, mythologies, villains, support cast and so on), though kudos to Black Lightning for having his own show and his own...I hesitate to call it a "mythology"...his own world, even if it's one I don't particular care for.

So, the company is in a bit of a tough spot in this regard. There are things the company can do, like re-visioning some of these characters, but I don't see that happening...at least, not any time soon.

In the comics, not so good. In the shows and movies, itÂ’s better.

Black lightning has a t.v. show, Cyborg is on three different shows and thereÂ’s talk of John Stewart appearing in a movie. DC uses original black characters just as often as they race lift. Arguably moreso.

Extraordinary Member

I'd say the racial switch is less prominent than people imply it is, as for the state of DC's black (and by extension their characters of color as a whole), DC's still doing a relatively poor job; on the page at least. most if not all of their most popular and recognizable black characters are either support, ensemble cast members, or inconspicuously absent. the only black character in a leading role is Mr. Terrific, Black Lightning arguably is but he's leading a team that's anchored to and serves the Bat-brand. as for them playing a important roles in major events, not a single black character or person of color has played a major role in any of the major DC events except debatable Reggie in Doomsday Clock. they're doing marginally better by having more visible black character representation but none stand close to A-List status right now. Naomi's been a breakout but it's still early enough for them to **** that up and relegate her too; only time will tell.
    Sad, but true.

Ultimate Member

Let me sum it up for like this-If I went to a store and asked for trades of black characters with at least 3 trades about THEM. Here is the results.

DC
    Cyborg
    Black Lightning
    Silencer
    Batwing
    Jason Rusch

Marvel
    Moon Girl
    Black Panther
    Luke Cage
    Miles Morales
    Riri Williams
    Shuri
    War Machine
    Blade
    Falcon

More than 7-
    Dc ZERO
    Marvel
    Moon Girl, Panther, Miles & Luke Cage.
    Spawn & Malcolm Dragon
    Action Labs
    Princeless-who has 9. WHEN Moon Girl gets another run-she will need 2 trades to surpass.

There are 21 black folks at Marvel with a trade devoted to a story about them be it a series or arc. I can add 7 more who DON'T have a trade. I am not even counting Cap America & Falcon 70s-80 run for Sam Wilson.
    DC has 11. I can add 1 who does not. If not for Gerard Jones-John Stewart would have 5. Steel would have 8.

Bumblebee-who was spotlighted on Teen Titans Go this summer and in the Dc Super Heroes Girls line. There is not enough COMIC BOOK MATERIAL with her to make ONE trade. Not even a $10 one. And she has been around for 48 years.
    I can get you one with ROCKET RACER. HECK I can do MORE than 1. For a Z lister.
    SYNCH has been dead for 18 years. I can make a trade for him. I can't do that for Black Lightning's daughters.

Miles Morales will have headlined 6 different books this year. His own, Absolute Carnage Miles, Champions, IDW's Spider-Man, Spiderverse & Old Man Miles. 2 minis and a one shot.
    When has a black DC let alone POC did that?

But all we heard from GATORS & trolls-Dc does it better. Not from where I am looking.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Let me sum it up for like this-If I went to a store and asked for trades of black characters with at least 3 trades about THEM. Here is the results.

DC
    Cyborg
    Black Lightning
    Silencer
    Batwing
    Jason Rusch

Marvel
    Moon Girl
    Black Panther
    Luke Cage
    Miles Morales
    Riri Williams
    Shuri
    War Machine
    Blade
    Falcon

More than 7-
    Dc ZERO
    Marvel
    Moon Girl, Panther, Miles & Luke Cage.
    Spawn & Malcolm Dragon
    Action Labs
    Princeless-who has 9. WHEN Moon Girl gets another run-she will need 2 trades to surpass.

There are 21 black folks at Marvel with a trade devoted to a story about them be it a series or arc. I can add 7 more who DON'T have a trade. I am not even counting Cap America & Falcon 70s-80 run for Sam Wilson.
    DC has 11. I can add 1 who does not. If not for Gerard Jones-John Stewart would have 5. Steel would have 8.

Bumblebee-who was spotlighted on Teen Titans Go this summer and in the Dc Super Heroes Girls line. There is not enough COMIC BOOK MATERIAL with her to make ONE trade. Not even a $10 one. And she has been around for 48 years.
    I can get you one with ROCKET RACER. HECK I can do MORE than 1. For a Z lister.
    SYNCH has been dead for 18 years. I can make a trade for him. I can't do that for Black Lightning's daughters.

Miles Morales will have headlined 6 different books this year. His own, Absolute Carnage Miles, Champions, IDW's Spider-Man, Spiderverse & Old Man Miles. 2 minis and a one shot.
    When has a black DC let alone POC did that?

But all we heard from GATORS & trolls-Dc does it better. Not from where I am looking.
    it's even lower, Silencer isn't black, she's Pacific Islander.

currently following:

it's even lower, Silencer isn't black, she's Pacific Islander.
    I guess you could split Batwing in half since David and Luke share the book.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

In the new Legion relaunch, every classic Legionnaire is included in Bendis' new lineup, *except* that he seemingly surgically removed Invisible Kid 2 (Jacques Foccault) and Tyroc, the two black characters, only to belatedly realize his mistake and recall and pulp the first issues to replace them with versions with recolored Lightning Lad and Lightning Lad as black characters instead.

That's just crazy, to me. There are black Legionnaires he *could* have used. Pre-GDS (Tyroc and Invisible Jacques), much more recent (Glorith and Mwindaji), and from the Reboot (Catspaw, XS, GEAR, Kid Quantum 2). Ditto, there are three or four established Asian members (Myg/Karate Kid 2, Dragonmage, Dragonwing, Chemical Kid 2).

But he got rid of all of them, and racebent some of the formerly white folk, so, IMO, that speaks to him having *zero* confidence in any of the pre-existing black or Asian characters...