View Poll Results: Who Is Your Favorite Black Character?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Stewart

33 24.63%
  • Cyborg

12 8.96%
  • Mister Terrific

8 5.97%
  • Vixen

28 20.90%
  • Black Manta

3 2.24%
  • Amanda Waller

8 5.97%
  • Kid Flash

3 2.24%
  • Bronze Tiger

3 2.24%
  • Static

5 3.73%
  • Aqualad

5 3.73%
  • Bumblebee

2 1.49%
  • Steel (I or II)

3 2.24%
  • Black Lightning

10 7.46%
  • The Signal

3 2.24%
  • Other (please specify)

8 5.97%
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    Whatever happened to Tanya? Last I saw her she was in Deathstroke trying to rescue the other Power Girl and everyone thought she was dead. That ever get resolved or is she essentially just dead now?
    I believe she's still "dead" with the OG Power Girl.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    currently? Naomi looks to be shaping up to be a major player for YA audiences, although Wallace is probably the most prominent young black character DC has right now tho. I personally think Duke Thomas and Power Girl/Tanya Spears could've been big names for DC's younger demo but DC's made it pretty clear they don't want to use those guys; and all the people in Milestone are off the table until they are wiped from everyone's memory. So Naomi and Wallace are probably the best bets, Naomi more so than Wallace.
    Honestly I can't really see Wallace going far. Yeah he has gotten media exposure, but he is part of a franchise and I still feel like he's not his own character, I just cant get into him. Duke I've never read about though you are right that all the young characters are missing. Personally I'd like a young black character to be involved in magic stuff since that is rare (Harry Potter/Books of Magic like)

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    Honestly I can't really see Wallace going far. Yeah he has gotten media exposure, but he is part of a franchise and I still feel like he's not his own character, I just cant get into him. Duke I've never read about though you are right that all the young characters are missing. Personally I'd like a young black character to be involved in magic stuff since that is rare (Harry Potter/Books of Magic like)
    I somewhat disagree when it comes to Wallace but i completely understand where you're coming from. Most of his time on the Flash was angsty annoying characterizations with little in the way of personality but his time on Deathstroke endeared him to me and I really like him on Teen Titans. However, he hasn't done anything really big and he's (imo) not close to as prominent as the many of the young characters in his position traditionally have been but he's still consistently the MOST prominent young black character DC's had for the last decade or so; which just goes to show you how well DC is doing in that department. I think he has enough clout to buy him a few years so there is plenty of time to turn him around and do something interesting with him but this is DC we're talking about, never underestimate their ability to squander character potential.

I believe there was a black character on Doom Patrol who had magic, i could be remembering wrong tho. I do think it would be cool to see a new young black character who focuses on magic; bonus points if it's an african/more afrocentric take on magic. I think they should bring black Bloodwynd and have him be rebooted as a sort of Brother Voodoo/Dr. Strange kind of character.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 03-04-2019 at 01:01 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Incredible Member

I somewhat disagree when it comes to Wallace but i completely understand where you're coming from. Most of his time on the Flash was angsty annoying characterizations with little in the way of personality but his time on Deathstroke endeared him to me and I really like him on Teen Titans. However, he hasn't done anything really big and he's (imo) not close to as prominent as the many of the young characters in his position traditionally have been but he's still consistently the MOST prominent young black character DC's had for the last decade or so; which just goes to show you how well DC is doing in that department. I think he has enough clout to buy him a few years so there is plenty of time to turn him around and do something interesting with him but this is DC we're talking about, never underestimate their ability to squander character potential.

I believe there was a black character on Doom Patrol who had magic, i could be remembering wrong tho. I do think it would be cool to see a new young black character who focuses on magic; bonus points if it's an african/more afrocentric take on magic. I think they should bring black Bloodwynd and have him be rebooted as a sort of Brother Voodoo/Dr. Strange kind of character.
    Yeah I understand he's gotten better, but I kind of grew up with Wally so it's still weird.

I remember I once wanted to suggest a hero based off the Yoruba Gods.

Yeah I understand he's gotten better, but I kind of grew up with Wally so it's still weird.

I remember I once wanted to suggest a hero based off the Yoruba Gods.
    I empathize, however I think they've made them more distinct from each other and finally just calling him Wallace instead of having them both called Wally makes it feel less of a weird color swap replica. I wish they could've had Wally train Wallace more, the way they write his relationship with Barry is not great and I feel having him and Wally working together regularly would've eased that awkwardness of his introduction.

I believe they had the Orishas affiliated with Vixen once upon a time. This may be my bias as an Igbo (to the east of Yorubaland) myself, I would like to see them go deeper into African mythology. Incorporate Odinani elements, creatures like the Impundulu, the mysterious almost mystical nature of the Leopard society etc.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 03-04-2019 at 02:27 PM.

currently following:

Boisterously Confused

Aren't "Steel I or II" technically named Heywood?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Aren't "Steel I or II" technically named Heywood?
    Wrong Steel. You're thinking of the Commander/Citizen Steel, the white guys, I'm talking about Steel (John Henry Irons) from Superman and his niece (Natasha Irons) who took up the mantle and is the current Steel; I understand the confusion tho.

currently following:

Who do you guys think has the best chance of getting YA readers? My best bet would be Naomi with the push she's getting plus she not a legacy character.
    Vixen could be a major player for getting YA readers, especially for girls because you could portray her as being a young teenaged model in high school who is interested in fashion design and making her own clothes. You might be able to draw in the boys by giving Vixen a cool male friend that she is attracted to, and he's attracted to her, and he's got certain powers of his own, but only when he puts on the ring. What's his name, you ask? Well, I don't know, let's just call him JONATHAN, though he prefers "John."

Edit: Never mind. When I originally read your question, for some reason I was envisioning YA novels that DC is publishing for some of its characters.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 03-04-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Vixen could be a major player for getting YA readers, especially for girls because you could portray her as being a young teenaged model in high school who is interested in fashion design and making her own clothes. You might be able to draw in the boys by giving Vixen a cool male friend that she is attracted to, and he's attracted to her, and he's got certain powers of his own, but only when he puts on the ring. What's his name, you ask? Well, I don't know, let's just call him JONATHAN, though he prefers "John."

Edit: Never mind. When I originally read your question, for some reason I was envisioning YA novels that DC is publishing for some of its characters.
    Actually yeah the YA novels were what I was thinking of even though I was talking about teen characters. I think vixen could connect well with younger girls.

I don't much about her being with John, my only experience is JL animated series, but I cant imagine that lasting long. He's always in space.

Incredible Member

You know I Actually had a funny idea recently after watching the haunted mansion and some old scooby doo movies. What if Mal Duncan and Karen Beecher had a family and kept getting into random adventures like those. They'd basically be the secret saturdays. It goes to show something featuring a full black family in silly adventures that could appeal to all ages that hasn't been seen before with black families.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post

I think a YA series for Vixen can work very well. DC is also producing a graphic novel for Mera entitled: Mera: Tidebreaker. The artwork looks cool and I like the little trailer for it. I think something like this can definitely work for Vixen:

We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Incredible Member

He was a teen satanist(or something/ dark magic) metal head rpg'er. All the cliches run into one deliberately i think for a pay off in issue 12 but the whole thing was so beyond delayed that i never picked it up. Fun cover tho

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Hotspot, Aqualad and Static could be HUGE with getting YA audiences. These three could be the black male teen trinity and these three together can be like the best of friends. Elemental powers are popular and the more desired powersets.

Then Naomi, Lightning and Thunder, and Tanya can fill the female spot.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Hotspot, Aqualad and Static could be HUGE with getting YA audiences. These three could be the black male teen trinity and these three together can be like the best of friends. Elemental powers are popular and the more desired powersets.

Then Naomi, Lightning and Thunder, and Tanya can fill the female spot.
    I always felt Signal, Aqualad, and Kid Flash could've been DC's black male trinity for YA audiences. They have unique powersets with widely diverse applications and as characters they each have ties to three major franchises.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 03-07-2019 at 05:19 PM.

currently following:

I went for John simply because love him long time but Kaldur and Static are equally strong favs. Duke, Raptor and Wallace are recent favourites