View Poll Results: Who Is Your Favorite Black Character?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Stewart

33 24.63%
  • Cyborg

12 8.96%
  • Mister Terrific

8 5.97%
  • Vixen

28 20.90%
  • Black Manta

3 2.24%
  • Amanda Waller

8 5.97%
  • Kid Flash

3 2.24%
  • Bronze Tiger

3 2.24%
  • Static

5 3.73%
  • Aqualad

5 3.73%
  • Bumblebee

2 1.49%
  • Steel (I or II)

3 2.24%
  • Black Lightning

10 7.46%
  • The Signal

3 2.24%
  • Other (please specify)

8 5.97%
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

I definitely want to see more Vixen. The sooner the better.

We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

BANNED

I just heard that Michael Davis, one of the co-founders of Milestone, passed away. That's really unfortunate. He claims that he's the one who really created Static, even though he doesn't get credit for it. I hear he is an illustrator, but I always thought it was extremely weird that I have NEVER seen ANY artwork from him, despite trying to find it. I've actually never seen any comics done by him, though I recall him being somewhat involved with some comic called, Law: Man Against Time, I think it's called. That said, he was always an interesting personality in panels and interviews. I'm not sure what the cause of death was.

EDIT:
    Just found out it was a suicide. Hmm...Well, that's certainly grim. A shame.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 04-29-2019 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I just heard that Michael Davis, one of the co-founders of Milestone, passed away. That's really unfortunate. He claims that he's the one who really created Static, even though he doesn't get credit for it. I hear he is an illustrator, but I always thought it was extremely weird that I have NEVER seen ANY artwork from him, despite trying to find it. I've actually never seen any comics done by him, though I recall him being somewhat involved with some comic called, Law: Man Against Time, I think it's called. That said, he was always an interesting personality in panels and interviews. I'm not sure what the cause of death was.

EDIT:
    Just found out it was a suicide. Hmm...Well, that's certainly grim. A shame.
    He's not dead.

https://www.cbr.com/michael-davis-mi...edia-obituary/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Dropping off some love for DC's newest black power couple

Mr. & Mrs. Terrific

Haven't followed The Terrifics much since their earliest days, so I didn't know they got themselves a Mrs. Terrific. Small side note, but also didn't know that Offspring found new life in the book, which is legit cool and kinda makes me want to check it out again.

I had a question but I changed my mind, it felt like it would be more incendiary than insightful. Instead here's a picture of Young Justice's iteration of Black Lightning; which I adore

I think if they took this design and mixed it with his current one

It would be my perfect design. Especially the literal black lightning, MORE OF THAT DC!!!

And I'll pose a different question, am I the only one who isn't satisfied with the state of the character design for a lot of the black male characters? Outside their costumes, they are generally extremely samey and I attribute this mainly to the lack of creativity in their hair designs. Usually low cuts with inconsistent parts in them or army style fades, sometimes just bald. If you had the power to play with any characters hair design who would you fix and how would you fix them? For me, an easy fix would be giving Black Lightning his mini-fro/beard combo from Young Justice Outsiders. Another one, I'd streamline Duke's costume and grow out his hair to be more inline with his hair when he was first introduced and his Futures End Robin hairstyle.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-07-2019 at 12:54 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Ultimate Member

It does seem that, for a time, every single black man in comics was at best, having a short buzz cut, and more likely, just shaving it all off entirely. No variety at all.

I feel like the shaved head is the new go-to look for white men drawing black men, like the afro was back in the seventies (and dreads/long braids were in the '90s).

I'm curious about what your original question was.

This new one tho, made me remember that on Wednesday I believe, a female DC Comics(?) editor was asking for references to black male hairstyles in comics b/c she felt that most black male characters shared the same old haircut.

But to answer your question, right now I'm kind of fine with everyone's costumes but in regards to hair, I think Wallace West having two lightning parts in his hair is something I would change to just one. Aqualad is rocking blonde hair, I like it, keep the cut, but make the hair a little curly.

(I'm gonna have to post pics later)

And even though this question was specific to black males I want to add that I would also fix Vixen's hair, and give her back her Halle Berry cut b/c the natural hair that she's rocking leaves a lot to be desired when artists can't draw texture and don't reference actual hair styles.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 06-07-2019 at 07:32 AM.

Incredible Member

I would love to see a black character going retro and having a hairstyle like Prince.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post

This new one tho, made me remember that on Wednesday I believe, a female DC Comics(?) editor was asking for references to black male hairstyles in comics b/c she felt that most black male characters shared the same old haircut.

But to answer your question, right now I'm kind of fine with everyone's costumes but in regards to hair, I think Wallace West having two lightning parts in his hair is something I would change to just one. Aqualad is rocking blonde hair, I like it, keep the cut, but make the hair a little curly.

And even though this question was specific to black males I want to add that I would also fix Vixen's hair, and give her back her Halle Berry cut b/c the natural hair that she's rocking leaves a lot to be desired when artists can't draw texture and don't reference actual hair styles.
    Yeah this is the real problem, a lot of artists don’t know how to draw black hair.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I need to start reading Deathstroke so I can catch up with Tanya.
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post

here ya go:
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace
    Question: do you guys think DC needs a black or character of color headlining a solo right now? By which I mean, considering that right now a lot of DC's black characters are on or leading teams (Cyborg leading JLO, Black Lightning leading Outsiders, Mr. Terrific leading The Terrifics, John Stewart on JL) plus the other characters of color currently on team books, can that be considered a satisfactory supplement for having little to no black or leads of color on a solo?
    Upon reconsideration, I felt it would either be self-evident ("of course it's not satisfactory! something something status quo and diversity") or inflammatory ("is nothing ever good enough?! At least they're being showcased! something something SJW, agendas, and pandering"), so i scrapped it.

I actually think Aqualad hit the jackpot with the blonde coloring because it's instantly recognizable in spite of the unimaginative style of the actual hair. I've always been a big proponent of letting Wallace grow his hair out and letting him have stylized cornrows or braids when he's in the field. I think his speed makes him perfect to play with the intricacies of black hair styling, which occurred to me when i was watching Mr. Terrific on Arrow and how he was able to go from giant fro to cornrows in an instant.

Oh and black female hair suggestions are welcomed as well, because they have their own issues when it comes to creativity when drawing their hair; how many times are we gonna have them with a giant afro or rocking two giant afropuffs? I mean, lord knows the lack of or inconsistency with texture when they draw black women makes it hard to tell when someone is deeply tanned or black sometimes. Although, Naomi's design and the character designs in Ironheart and Miles Morales: Spider-Man are definitely welcomed improvements and steps in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I need to start reading Deathstroke so I can catch up with Tanya.
    Erm, have you at least heard what happens to her? If you are gonna read Deathstroke (which has been a great run) for extended Tanya content I can save you the time...
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-07-2019 at 06:57 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Has it been said how much longer Priest will be on Deathstroke? I ask because as things are now spoilers:
    I don't see how Tanya could be brought back. As a matter of fact do we even know what happened to her body?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    Has it been said how much longer Priest will be on Deathstroke? I ask because as things are now spoilers:
    I don't see how Tanya could be brought back. As a matter of fact do we even know what happened to her body?
    end of spoilers
    He's leaving after issue 50 and spoilers:
    I don't think we ever found out what happened to her body
    end of spoilers

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    here ya go:

Upon reconsideration, I felt it would either be self-evident ("of course it's not satisfactory! something something status quo and diversity") or inflammatory ("is nothing ever good enough?! At least they're being showcased! something something SJW, agendas, and pandering"), so i scrapped it.

I actually think Aqualad hit the jackpot with the blonde coloring because it's instantly recognizable in spite of the unimaginative style of the actual hair. I've always been a big proponent of letting Wallace grow his hair out and letting him have stylized cornrows or braids when he's in the field. I think his speed makes him perfect to play with the intricacies of black hair styling, which occurred to me when i was watching Mr. Terrific on Arrow and how he was able to go from giant fro to cornrows in an instant.

Oh and black female hair suggestions are welcomed as well, because they have their own issues when it comes to creativity when drawing their hair; how many times are we gonna have them with a giant afro or rocking two giant afropuffs? I mean, lord knows the lack of or inconsistency with texture when they draw black women makes it hard to tell when someone is deeply tanned or black sometimes. Although, Naomi's design and the character designs in Ironheart and Miles Morales: Spider-Man are definitely welcomed improvements and steps in the right direction.

Erm, have you at least heard what happens to her? If you are gonna read Deathstroke (which has been a great run) for extended Tanya content I can save you the time...
    No I have not but you’re welcome to fill me in.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    No I have not but you’re welcome to fill me in.
    She got put in an interdimensional coma, basically she created a machine to project her consciousness into the Multiverse to find the OG Powergirl. Good news, she found her but her body was pulled from the machine by Wallace thinking she was dead and she's been that way since the Defiance arc ended. Last we heard, everyone thinks she's dead and Wallace beat the brakes off Slade for it. The run is solid and getting to that point with her character was interesting but I didn't want you going in expecting her to be prospering right now.

currently following: