Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I blame Snyder more than anything else. Ben did a good job, just bad writing in B v S and really should not base off of TDKR.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

History will not look fondly on Affleck
    He seems to be cursed when it comes to cape movies
    2 strikes
    His Batman really only had the look a big imposing figure but had nothing else that should be in a Batman of the Justice League. He was more or less Nick Fury of the DCU and not the Iron Man

Extraordinary Member

A great physical presence and two good performances in mediocre movies.

Zach Snyder was the problem all along.

I don't blame Affleck for wanting out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I didn't mind the idea of an experienced Batman and altogether I found Affleck did a good job of capturing the personality and physicality of Batman where it counted, even when I winced at his flagrant disregard to the lives of criminals in some moments and his obsession with killing Superman (which was very un-Batman to me).

I also think he's probably been the closest to the comics in terms of depicting Batman in action, with the warehouse fight probably going down as the best Batman fight scene in live-action.

That being said, Affleck's franchise potential was possibly more limited compared to his compatriots and the writing was on the wall once the criticism for BvS and Justice League came out and he became more disillusioned with the role.

Overall I think he was a Batman with a lot of potential that was not executed as well as he could have been, but at least got to make the role his own for the amount of time he was in it.
    Lots of people bring up the warehouse scene as to why they like Affleck's Batman. But really how much of that was Ben Affleck himself and how much of that was stunt doubles and special effects? When Affleck actually
    got speaking lines as both Batman and Bruce Wayne he was sort of bland. George Clooney was a much better Bruce Wayne, had more personality and charisma. Smoother. It was more believable that Clooney's Bruce Wayne
    was a handsome, rich ladies man. The only real advantage I saw with Affleck vs Clooney was Affleck had a much better costume and no nipples.

Affleck never once said "I'm Batman" on screen, so as far as I'm concerned he was never really Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Affleck never once said "I'm Batman" on screen, so as far as I'm concerned he was never really Batman.
    It's like what Adam West said about being Batman. "I never had to say ‘I’m Batman’, I showed up, people knew I was Batman."

im just surprised there isn't a Matt Reeves Batman Thread Stickied Right Now .

id like to see Matt Reeves if he doesnt have a hush esque story with batman's rogues gallery id like to see maybe a flash back detective story with him taking on cases like Penguin, Man-Bat,The Mad Hatter , The Riddler , the Ventriloquist , Clayface Baslo Carloff , Blockbuster , The Creeper , FireFly , i mean there are so many to choose from that are all awesome id just like to see more new villains for once .

like in spider-man far from home im looking hella forward to seeing Mysterio on Film and Scorpion for the first time for real , i love Scorpion , i love Mysterio and i think thats one thing for sure that Spider-Man and Batman Have in Common is a huge Gallery Of Rogues Villains that are all not only top notch villains but are also amazing characters with incredible back stories or motivations to do what they do .

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    It's not something I'd ever picture the real Batman saying.

Extraordinary Member

Good costume, good fight scenes, physical presence do not make up for everything else. It just stuns me that some fans are so willing to overlook everything that was wrong with this version of Batman.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Good costume, good fight scenes, physical presence do not make up for everything else. It just stuns me that some fans are so willing to overlook everything that was wrong with this version of Batman.
    Everything that was wrong with this version of Batman was all on Snyder though, not Affleck. Affleck was great I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Everything that was wrong with this version of Batman was all on Snyder though, not Affleck. Affleck was great I thought.
    You know - we can say what we want about Snyder but we should at least acknowledge that he was trying to do something a bit different to Marvel - and wasn't afraid of going to some dark places.
    OK - it wasn't exactly what we could call a resounding success. But I do at least respect him for trying to stay true to the atmosphere, feel and look of the DC world.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCStu View Post
    You know - we can say what we want about Snyder but we should at least acknowledge that he was trying to do something a bit different to Marvel - and wasn't afraid of going to some dark places.
    OK - it wasn't exactly what we could call a resounding success. But I do at least respect him for trying to stay true to the atmosphere, feel and look of the DC world.
    Amen to that!

In my book, Snyder's vision wasn't a failure. It just wasn't given a chance to succeed. MOS was a great film and precisely the kind of modernized portrayal that Superman needed.

BvS had its flaws but on the whole was a pretty good film, though not a great one. And financially it was pretty successful.

The problem is that critics, fed on a steady diet of light-hearted Marvel fare, and certain vocal sections of the fanbase, didn't care much for BvS. And the suits at WB caved. Hence, the Joss Whedon Avengers-lite take on Justice League that ultimately bombed.

BANNED

While Snyder does deserve a good deal of the blame, just what exactly makes Affleck great if I may ask? the costume and fighting are also on Snyder so he deserves credit for the good that came with Affleck too. Affleck himself accomplished virtually nothing as Batman acting wise and lets not even bring JL in to the picture because he phoned it badly.

The only thing he had going for him was a vague resemblance to comic/TAS Batman but thats down to genetics(its what it is), doesn't say anything about his talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    While Snyder does deserve a good deal of the blame, just what exactly makes Affleck great if I may ask? the costume and fighting are also on Snyder so he deserves credit for the good that came with Affleck too. Affleck himself accomplished virtually nothing as Batman acting wise and lets not even bring JL in to the picture because he phoned it badly.

The only thing he had going for him was a vague resemblance to comic/TAS Batman but thats down to genetics(its what it is), doesn't say anything about his talent.
    I liked his Bruce Wayne and his lines as Batman. I thought he acted the role perfectly fine in BvS and his small cameo in SS. I can't be the only one who thought he wasn't some ultra-bad actor. I liked him more than Christian Bale, by a long shot.

BANNED

I liked his Bruce Wayne and his lines as Batman. I thought he acted the role perfectly fine in BvS and his small cameo in SS. I can't be the only one who thought he wasn't some ultra-bad actor. I liked him more than Christian Bale, by a long shot.
    Those lines are also credited to Snyder and Terrio. Its a collaborative process, at the end of the day you cant separate Batfleck from Snyder because all Affleck did was execute Zack's vision of Batman. So if one has a problem with Snyder then I cant see how Affleck deserves praise. Affleck's only full outing with another director yielded an even worse performance.