Default Shaft Update 2019 with Samuel Jackson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_co...&v=lD41XdWcmbY

Hmm. So I guess this version is being set up as an action comedy. Not the way I would have chosen to go if I was writing, but, everybody here seems game, so I guess we'll see how it turns out.
    Nothing here about the villains, so I guess there's not a major star involved as the adversary.

I wonder will they just go ahead and reveal that Roundtree's Shaft is Jackson-Shaft's father after all, instead of being his uncle. I don't think the last film even got into who his parent was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post

Hmm. So I guess this version is being set up as an action comedy. Not the way I would have chosen to go if I was writing, but, everybody here seems game, so I guess we'll see how it turns out.
    Nothing here about the villains, so I guess there's not a major star involved as the adversary.

I wonder will they just go ahead and reveal that Roundtree's Shaft is Jackson-Shaft's father after all, instead of being his uncle. I don't think the last film even got into who his parent was.
    I wonder if they changed the original Shaft to be Jackson-Shaft's uncle instead of father because Roundtree is a mere six years older than Jackson. It's easier to hide now, but 20 years ago the differences would've been more pronounced.

But this reminds to post in the other thread about underrated movies -- I thought Jackson's Shaft was fairly good all around (at least, at the time).

With that said, Roundtree being way more active than a mere cameo is going to be lovely. It'll be good to see him ride again.
    Last edited by Cyke; 02-07-2019 at 09:37 AM.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Hey, Nick Fury and Storm in the same movie.

Incredible Member

Well Jr. did call Roundtree-Shaft 'grandpa'.

BANNED

So I guess this version is being set up as an action comedy. Not the way I would have chosen to go if I was writing, but, everybody here seems game, so I guess we'll see how it turns out.
    I'm not sure how you could credibly do this any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I wonder if they changed the original Shaft to be Jackson-Shaft's uncle instead of father because Roundtree is a mere six years older than Jackson. It's easier to hide now, but 20 years ago the differences would've been more pronounced.

But this reminds to post in the other thread about underrated movies -- I thought Jackson's Shaft was fairly good all around (at least, at the time).

With that said, Roundtree being way more active than a mere cameo is going to be lovely. It'll be good to see him ride again.
    Was that the one where Christian Bale played the bad guy? Pre Batman

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Was that the one where Christian Bale played the bad guy? Pre Batman
    That’s the one.

Are they doing the digital de-aging, Captain Marvel, thing, because Samuel L. Jackson looks like he's barely aged since the last Shaft movie, and that was 19 years ago .

I wonder will there be a comics adaptation, and also will there be new comics based on the novels' continuity of the 60s-70s original era. Heck, even comics based on these movies' continuity. We'll see, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I'm not sure how you could credibly do this any other way.
    Why would a story about a cop working with his son have to be a comedy?
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    That’s the one.
    Lol ok making sure I wasnt getting Sam Jackson movies mixed up.

Most underrated Sam Jackson movie Soul men. Him and the late great Bernie Mac were great together.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Why would a story about a cop working with his son have to be a comedy?
    Families can be funny, and humor helps that bond. But I think the deeper question is, why does there have to be slapstick.

Which, I'm not complaining about for this movie in particular, but it *is* a tone shift from all the other Shaft movies -- and they're all in continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Families can be funny, and humor helps that bond. But I think the deeper question is, why does there have to be slapstick.

Which, I'm not complaining about for this movie in particular, but it *is* a tone shift from all the other Shaft movies -- and they're all in continuity.
    That was my thought too. Nothing wrong with comedies but this is a dramatic series suddenly being turned into a comedy.

Kind of makes me think of the Mary Tyler Moore show which was a comedy and then they spin off the Lou Grant character into a drama.

It's a complete tonal shift.
    Power with Girl is better.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I would rather this be a serious flick, with Richard Roundtree as an older Shaft.

Extraordinary Member

If Roundtree dyed his hair black he might look the same age as Samuel.