Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hobbs and Shaw Has any other franchise ever taken bigger shift in tone?

I thought someone would have made a thread on this

The trailer doesn't look that special to me but I find it so interesting that basically movie line about underground street racing has morphed into a superhero franchise.

A couple of things...

- Does a spinoff really count as part of the franchise?

- Is Wes Craven's New Nightmare a film that counts? It was a pretty decent departure.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    A couple of things...

- Is Wes Craven's New Nightmare a film that counts? It was a pretty decent departure.
    Why wouldn't it? Franchise in this case means media that are connected and this spin off is clearly connected to the F&F franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    A couple of things...

I think it counts we know it is same world and they are playing the same characters and I think they will mention charatcers absence in Fast and Furious.

Extraordinary Member

Eh it's a shared universe not really a FF movie. Hobbs was never part of the racing scene like the others. For the record to I thought this trailer was insane, **** brought a tear to my eye. Can't wait!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Eh it's a shared universe not really a FF movie. Hobbs was never part of the racing scene like the others. For the record to I thought this trailer was insane, **** brought a tear to my eye. Can't wait!!!
    Sure, but a freaking Cyborg? Seriously?!

Literally thought the thread was about "Calvin and Hobbes" lol

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I mean.... after doing stuff like this or this is it really that surprising?

Extraordinary Member

Yeah like others have said a lot of improbable stuff happened in the FF movies. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Eh it's a shared universe not really a FF movie.
    Beat me to it. I think people get confused making the connection movies have sequels, not spinoffs, ergo, its really a sequel, and...its not in this case.

Hobbs was never part of the racing scene like the others.
    Yeah. And like in some TV shows, a character is introduced just to put them in a spinoff. I think that was always the case with Hobbs. Deckard, I'm not so sure, but with their chemistry the producers probably figured why not.

For the record to I thought this trailer was insane, **** brought a tear to my eye. Can't wait!!!
    Oh I've been there opening night for every FF movie starting with 2009's Fast and Furious, and I'll be there for its spinoff. This looked bananas and well, fun.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The Resident Evil games. It started off as a horror series. It leaned on a more action direction with Resident Evil 4 and went full Michael Bay for RE5 and RE6 for it to go back to horror again with RE7.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Beat me to it. I think people get confused making the connection movies have sequels, not spinoffs, ergo, its really a sequel, and...its not in this case.

Yeah. And like in some TV shows, a character is introduced just to put them in a spinoff. I think that was always the case with Hobbs. Deckard, I'm not so sure, but with their chemistry the producers probably figured why not.

Oh I've been there opening night for every FF movie starting with 2009's Fast and Furious, and I'll be there for its spinoff. This looked bananas and well, fun.
    Yes,Yes and yes. The part where the Rock is running on the side of that skyscraper... Oh man..haha must see for me.

Castle(tv show).

It started as a mystery writer shadowing a detective to take inspiration for his next book. Basic crime procedural drama.

It introduced telekinesis, an invisibility suit, time travel, alternate universes and a few other sci-fi things in later seasons.

Yep.

Ultimate Member

Castle(tv show).

It started as a mystery writer shadowing a detective to take inspiration for his next book. Basic crime procedural drama.

It introduced telekinesis, an invisibility suit, time travel, alternate universes and a few other sci-fi things in later seasons.

Yep.
    Every single one of those were done tongue in cheek, in a show that relied largely on comedy. Don't think that really counts.

But anyways, Fast and Furious started abot a crappy crime drama to James Bond stunts without the spies. This seems like a natural evolution, really.

I'm still shocked they just haven't gone full hog and done a MASK movie.

Bond itself certainly went through some tonal shifts. The 70s in particular with the early Roger Moore era.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth