Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Eh it's a shared universe not really a FF movie.
    Beat me to it. I think people get confused making the connection movies have sequels, not spinoffs, ergo, its really a sequel, and...its not in this case.

Hobbs was never part of the racing scene like the others.
    Yeah. And like in some TV shows, a character is introduced just to put them in a spinoff. I think that was always the case with Hobbs. Deckard, I'm not so sure, but with their chemistry the producers probably figured why not.

For the record to I thought this trailer was insane, **** brought a tear to my eye. Can't wait!!!
    Oh I've been there opening night for every FF movie starting with 2009's Fast and Furious, and I'll be there for its spinoff. This looked bananas and well, fun.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The Resident Evil games. It started off as a horror series. It leaned on a more action direction with Resident Evil 4 and went full Michael Bay for RE5 and RE6 for it to go back to horror again with RE7.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    I mean.... after doing stuff like this or this is it really that surprising?
    Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Yeah like others have said a lot of improbable stuff happened in the FF movies. Why not?
    But that's still in [over the top] action territory. Not sci-fi like this one.

Anyway, I don't really have a horse in this race. I gave up on this franchise a long time ago, not that I was a big fan to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    A couple of things...

- Does a spinoff really count as part of the franchise?

- Is Wes Craven's New Nightmare a film that counts? It was a pretty decent departure.
    Tokyo Drift was intended mainly as a spinoff, but was later sort of integrated (with a few retcons) into the story of the franchise...basically 4-6 are a prequel of sorts to it, revealing that Han was part of Dom's group and he was really killed by Shaw. The events in "Drift" actually take place between 6 & 7.

It's not the series's only retcon either. I'm pretty sure they intended to totally write out Michelle Rodreiquez's Letty in 4, but the epilogue of 5 and 6 revealed that she was still alive but had amnesia...and 8 revealed that Shaw and his brother weren't actually that evil (Despite killing Han and Giselle, and nearly everybody else), but were just manipulated by Charlize Theron's Cipher.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I actually don't think this is as big a shift as the one from when the FF franchise went from being a boring street-racing franchise into this utterly ludicrous action series that it has been since the fourth (or was it fifth?) installment. It's such a bonkers series that adding a full-blown sci-fi element just seems like the logical next step.

And, yes, this looks awesome.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

The Sixth I think is pretty much where it became Mission Impossible with more cars.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Castle(tv show).

It started as a mystery writer shadowing a detective to take inspiration for his next book. Basic crime procedural drama.

It introduced telekinesis, an invisibility suit, time travel, alternate universes and a few other sci-fi things in later seasons.

Yep.
    Every single one of those were done tongue in cheek, in a show that relied largely on comedy. Don't think that really counts.

But anyways, Fast and Furious started abot a crappy crime drama to James Bond stunts without the spies. This seems like a natural evolution, really.

I'm still shocked they just haven't gone full hog and done a MASK movie.

Bond itself certainly went through some tonal shifts. The 70s in particular with the early Roger Moore era.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Beat me to it. I think people get confused making the connection movies have sequels, not spinoffs, ergo, its really a sequel, and...its not in this case.

Yeah. And like in some TV shows, a character is introduced just to put them in a spinoff. I think that was always the case with Hobbs. Deckard, I'm not so sure, but with their chemistry the producers probably figured why not.

Oh I've been there opening night for every FF movie starting with 2009's Fast and Furious, and I'll be there for its spinoff. This looked bananas and well, fun.
    Yes,Yes and yes. The part where the Rock is running on the side of that skyscraper... Oh man..haha must see for me.

Astonishing Member

If Bloodshot becomes successful maybe Bloodshot will crossover into the FF universe.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Bond itself certainly went through some tonal shifts. The 70s in particular with the early Roger Moore era.
    I think the first tone shift for Bond was Diamonds are Forever it always felt more like a Moore film than Connery once you got past the revenge montage in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I actually don't think this is as big a shift as the one from when the FF franchise went from being a boring street-racing franchise into this utterly ludicrous action series that it has been since the fourth (or was it fifth?) installment. It's such a bonkers series that adding a full-blown sci-fi element just seems like the logical next step.

And, yes, this looks awesome.
    Note I am not saying that Hobbs and Shaw is the beginning of shift, I think everyone knows that FF has been pretty batshit over the top for awhile. This movie I think with the addition of Brixton being a superhuman is franchise dropping all pretense that this is world of realism. Nothing now will be a surprise Robots and Cyborgs, Super suits,Mysticism heck even aliens and outer space. The shift started earlier of course but Hobbs and Shaw is them full embracing that this scifi whereas before it was still semi in realm of believable.

I think Universal is rooting more Hobbs/Shaw success than FF success because this puts them into Superhero businesses. It is shame they are figure out this formula right now I wonder what the Dark Universe would have look like with this type of formula this commitment to fun and being over the top.

Let's see--

House--

house 1--scary movie with some jokes.
    house 2--kids movie with cute puppets!
    house 3-R rated scary movie but no jokes
    house 4-ghost movie about the dad from the first protecting his family from gangsters!

Police academy--R rated adult comedy with nude scenes and adult jokes and curse works!

Police academy 5-7--Kids film!

Gremlins--scary family film with comedy parts

Gremlins 2--Looney tunes

Munchies--scary comedy that's a copy of gremlins with monsters killing people!

Munchies 2 and 3--preschool movies!

The detective--Crime drama that is dark and depressing with little action.

Die hard (the detective 2)-action and more action and one liners from bruce!

Beastmaster-he-man like fantasy with deaths and tons of drama

Beastmaster 2-comedy that takes them to earth!

iMan 42s

Godzilla is famous example of this where he began as a potent metaphor for nuclear destruction to a defender of Japan and an environmentalist. That was the original Showa era and the Heisei and Millennium films have moved away from this but the films changed significantly in the original series.

Alien is also a great example of this where the original was a claustrophobic horror film and subsequent sequels have been more Action-movie focused. Aliens, Alien 3, Alien:Resurrection, Aliens Versus Predator, and Aliens Versus Predator: Requiem, being a humongous departure from the original film.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

After movie 6 this franchise is just ridiculous. And fans love them and keep asking for more. I don't even judge FF movies because I think they are have jumped the shark 1000x over.

I liked the first film it was kind of Point Break with cars. The second one at least fit in universe. #3 was still about racing.

Once we got to number 4 it got way more silly, with the tanker and the race through that cave.

Then number 5 when the Rock joined the franchise just got stupid. Hauling a safe through the street like it is a paperweight, the Vin and Rock fight. The list continues.

This is the course fans of the franchise set by putting up with all the ridiculousness of the past 5 movies.

As fr as anyone should be concerned this movie is absolutely on brand. Especially based not eh let two films. The last movie doesn't even make sense. And don't get me started on how Letty came back to life.
    The J-man