Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

They realized that the original premise had a bit of a niche market. Ironically it was after part 5, when they started really embracing the ridiculousness that the films really started making tons of money and ironically getting more critical praise as well.

This, looks little different. Plus it's a buddy cop film starring The Rock and Jason Statham, if any film should be over the top ridiculous, it's that.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Every single one of those were done tongue in cheek, in a show that relied largely on comedy. Don't think that really counts.

But anyways, Fast and Furious started abot a crappy crime drama to James Bond stunts without the spies. This seems like a natural evolution, really.

I'm still shocked they just haven't gone full hog and done a MASK movie.
    Yup... MASK would be perfect in today's action movie climate - its basically GI Joe and Transformers put together into one thing. Even Michael Bay couldn't screw that up too badly.....

Honestly, as far as 80s cartoons in need of some type of resurrection, whether it be game, movie or TV show, MASK and Ulysses 31 are long overdue....

I've said a bunch of times Fast and Furious should just cross over with Transformers.

I don't see how that, or M.A.S.K, isn't the logical culmination of the series.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Evil Dead's transition to Army of Darkness was pretty wild.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Evil Dead's transition to Army of Darkness was pretty wild.
    True.

Even more so when you think about the other ending.

Sort of along that line...

It was a pretty real departure to follow the nutso ending of House Of 1000 Corpses with a sequel that was a relatively grounded crime film.

Escape From Butcher Bay* > Pitch Black > Chronicles of Riddick

This series is all over the genre map.

Prison Break (Prequel), Sci-Fi Horror, and Space Opera.
    Pull List:

So I saw the trailer for Hobbs & Shaw during the superbowl. I have quickly deemed it acutely stupid, predictable & will be seen on Netflix in 2020 during a snowstorm if I have run out of whiskey.

Mad Max, the first one doesn't remotely resemble the hero of the wasteland that the series became famous for.

Rambo or really I should say First Blood. Kind of like the rocky series in that it starts from somewhat grounded position and then goes insane with it. Rambo goes from a guy primarily using non lethal force, and accidently killing a guy in self defens to an unstoppable superhuman agent of death as the series goes on.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Yeah like others have said a lot of improbable stuff happened in the FF movies. Why not?
    Yeah, I don't mind all this ridiculous stuff happening, since, as others have said or implied, this wouldn't be the first tonal shift for the FF movies. The first big tonal shifts probably happened under Justin Lin, and the studio's been trying to escalate since his departure.

I mean, remember when they were stealing basic electronics in the first movie? And that it was based on an actual news article in Vibe? And then 15 years later they raced a submarine and leaped between skyscrapers (which probably wasn't inspired by anything in a magazine).

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Mad Max, the first one doesn't remotely resemble the hero of the wasteland that the series became famous for.

Rambo or really I should say First Blood. Kind of like the rocky series in that it starts from somewhat grounded position and then goes insane with it. Rambo goes from a guy primarily using non lethal force, and accidently killing a guy in self defens to an unstoppable superhuman agent of death as the series goes on.
    Yeah, that's a huge example. Probably one of the more famous tonal shifts, too.

----

As far as books go, there was fairly big tonal shift between the Hobbit (child-friendly, whimsical tale of adventure) to Lord of the Rings (huge spawling epic with some very grim and very deep themes). It's as if going from Peter Pan to World War 2 epic. It makes sense given JRR Tolkien's aging and maturing between the large gap between the two works. A shame the movies didn't capture this tonal shift (a consequence of stretching and drawing the Hobbit out wayyy too long).

The first three Indiana Jones movies were homages to pulp adventure serials, while the 4th movie was an homage to sci-fi B-movies (there's plenty wrong with this movie, but I don't count this tonal shift as a fault).

Back to the Future, according to Gale and Zemeckis, sees each sequel as a tonal shift since it deliberately uses time travel to play with other genres. The first movie was about nostalgic Americana, the second is straight up sci-fi (and then dystopia), and the third is the Western (with some deconstruction tossed in for good measure).

The world of Mad Max I also is more dystopia than the post-apocalyptic version seen in the sequels.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Yeah, I don't mind all this ridiculous stuff happening, since, as others have said or implied, this wouldn't be the first tonal shift for the FF movies. The first big tonal shifts probably happened under Justin Lin, and the studio's been trying to escalate since his departure.

I mean, remember when they were stealing basic electronics in the first movie? And that it was based on an actual news article in Vibe? And then 15 years later they raced a submarine and leaped between skyscrapers (which probably wasn't inspired by anything in a magazine).
    Yeah they've been pushing the envelope for almost a decade now. With Dom and Hobbs punching dents in concrete ripping off car doors etc.etc it's a natural evolution of craziness lol.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The world of Mad Max I also is more dystopia than the post-apocalyptic version seen in the sequels.
    In fairness, it could be justified that the first movie was at the very start, and things went ugly very quickly.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think the FF movies and this spin off get a pass from most people because they are just all in on the stupid. They know they are making over the top dumb movies and don't try to hide it like some dumb movies do. They are not trying to fool the audiences, and I think people like that. It is like they are saying "look we know this **** is over the top and goofy and we know that you know it too so lets just have fun with it".

The movie should have been called "Crackdown"...after the video game.

I really do love the over-the-top nature of the F&F franchise.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/