Super Moderator

Default SDCC: The Amazingly Superior Dan Slott

Superior Marvel writer Dan Slott examines his comic book career, from "Arkham" to "Amazing," and reveals his favorite stories that never saw print.

Full article here.

"Spider-Man, Peter Parker, is our big bowl of mac and cheese."

Amen.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

All-New Member

Spider-man may be our "big bowl of mac and cheese," but to stay with the analogy, Dan Slott makes his mac and cheese with cheap processed velvetta. And macaroni made from styrofoam. It looks good when someone serves it to you, but the taste is cheap and fake and has no nutritional value. And makes you sorry you ate it later.
    Last edited by jeffgutman; 07-30-2014 at 11:15 AM.

bring back the Human Fly. Make him more of a threat.
    No more harpy girlfriends.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeffgutman View Post
    Spider-man may be our "big bowl of mac and cheese," but to stay with the analogy, Dan Slott makes his mac and cheese with cheap processed velvetta. And macaroni made fro styrofoam. It looks good when someone serves it to you, but the taste is cheap and fake and has no nutritional value. And makes you sorry you ate it later.
    If you are looking for nutritional value in mac and cheese, you are doing it wrong.

Spectacular Member

Spider-man may be our "big bowl of mac and cheese," but to stay with the analogy, Dan Slott makes his mac and cheese with cheap processed velvetta. And macaroni made fro styrofoam. It looks good when someone serves it to you, but the taste is cheap and fake and has no nutritional value. And makes you sorry you ate it later.
    That might be true... if you've been eating mac and cheese all your life, and have tasted better. The younger generation doesn't have your experience. Why not let them decide for themselves, so that they can learn what's good and what's bad?

All-New Member

Well that's just silly. Comics as a medium can have deeper meaning and have proven such over the last 40 years. Slott's ASM title hasn't had any emotional depth (or nutritional value if you will) to it - ever. To say I'm "doing it wrong" because I expect more substance out of comics as a medium is an odd opinion.

Well that's just silly. Comics as a medium can have deeper meaning and have proven such over the last 40 years. Slott's ASM title hasn't had any emotional depth (or nutritional value if you will) to it - ever. To say I'm "doing it wrong" because I expect more substance out of comics as a medium is an odd opinion.
    I agree. After the dismal ASM#700 I stopped buying Slott's books. No substance or maturity to his writing anymore, just gimmicks.
    TIME AND A WORD