Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Some real-life aspects of the X-Men

Well, I have some perplexities, either about the comic book universe and/or the movie universe:

1- Are the X-Men paid/remunerated by Xavier in some ways? Or do they just live in a sort of "communal way", with Xavier paying for food and clothes on a basic level?
    When you become an "X-Man", you don't need to work (in the society) anymore... right?

2- How did Xavier manage to "hideously" host X-Men from other countries (Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Banshee) without facing some legal consequences or issues?

3- Who or what creates the X-Men's costumes?

4- Are all X-Men legally registered as "teachers" of the Xavier's School, in a similar way to the movieverse?

------------------->

The main X-Men universe (X-Men + Wolverine) has been altered via time travel twice, not just one ("Days of Future Past").
    This means that the timeline depicted in "First Class" (1962), "The Wolverine" (2008) and the post-apocalyptic future of "Days of Future Past" (2023) was already a massive divergence from the original, untampered version of history (the X-Men trilogy).

X-CONTINUITY
    http://x-continuity.blogspot.com

There are extensive sections explaining more about incongruences and contradictions in the saga.
    According to my scenario: Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) was a time traveler. He was born several years after the events of "The Last Stand", in the original timeline (X-Men Origins: Wolverine; X-Men; X2; The Last Stand).

Extraordinary Member

I always figured that things were paid for through a combination of Xavier's and Warren's money, mostly Warren's anymore. Or the X-Men find diamonds or something. As for the legal stuff, it normally gets handwaved. Quite a few of the mutants probably need some sort of permit to be living and working in the US, while some of them, like Laura, Gabby, Evan, and quite a few others, might not even legally exist because they're clones.

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    1- Are the X-Men paid/remunerated by Xavier in some ways? Or do they just live in a sort of "communal way", with Xavier paying for food and clothes on a basic level?
    When you become an "X-Man", you don't need to work (in the society) anymore... right?
    At the beginning, yeah, paid for mostly everything, after a while Warren started putting his money into the set up as well and then later Emma started financing some of it, Scott's Utopia more notably. After both were out, Kitty financed the school with poop diamonds from kid Krakoa and now... well, Kitty made a comment about trademaking the X-Men name so I guess she's in control of Xavier's assets and that's how they fund it now. Not sure what Scott's going to do now.

2- How did Xavier manage to "hideously" host X-Men from other countries (Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Banshee) without facing some legal consequences or issues?
    I believe it's plausible for Xavier to have used his political conections to get most of the X-Men legal visas, probably as student visas in his school. The only case I remember that became an issue was Northstar being threaten to be deported during Liu's Astonishing run. So I guess they only care about illegal Canadians that aren't name Logan.

3- Who or what creates the X-Men's costumes?
    Kitty.

Or Reed Richards did at some point.

Now, mostly I think it's a blind person.

4- Are all X-Men legally registered as "teachers" of the Xavier's School, in a similar way to the movieverse?
    Aside from Emma, who ran a school before the X-Men, not many of them seem to have official credentials. I believe this was pointed out during the first arc of Wolverine and The X-men when they had their first inspection but I could be remembering it wrong.

Astonishing Member

You do know storm was born in New York.

Also Xavier has apparently infinity money so they just used his funds to buy everyting.

Forget-Me-Not designs all the costumes.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Forget-Me-Not designs all the costumes.
    aww now I'm sad.

They live in a communal way since none of them have jobs except Warren and Dr. Cecilia Reyes. Beast recently had a job.

I know Scott once had a job as a disc jockey and Jean was a model. But I'm sure those funds ran out years ago.

Emma made tons of money selling Butterrums remains for glue.

The Shi'ar technology in the mansion probably takes care of a number of their wants. Including the costumes, since I remember the Starjammers had a costume machine (Kitty was playing with it.)

Many of them probably aren't here legally at all, but that's why they have codenames. And Val Cooper. And Xavier's FBI contacts. And the computer virus that deletes reference to them, like in court documents, (if it's still working after x-tinction agenda.)

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BESTXMAN View Post
    They live in a communal way since none of them have jobs except Warren and Dr. Cecilia Reyes. Beast recently had a job.

I know Scott once had a job as a disc jockey and Jean was a model. But I'm sure those funds ran out years ago.
    Many X-Men earn a living, or they did in the past (Karma, for instance, worked for Xavier from the beginning and she was librarian later).

There's a whole interesting thread about it, but I can't find it because I don't remember its title. Somebody may help...?

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    At the beginning, yeah, paid for mostly everything, after a while Warren started putting his money into the set up as well and then later Emma started financing some of it, Scott's Utopia more notably. After both were out, Kitty financed the school with poop diamonds from kid Krakoa and now... well, Kitty made a comment about trademaking the X-Men name so I guess she's in control of Xavier's assets and that's how they fund it now. Not sure what Scott's going to do now.
    Think of all the natural resources the X-Men could exploit, using Shi'ar tech and their powers. Not just gold and diamonds but rare minerals. Which seems to me why so many governments have been kidnapping mutants for decades, even before the X-Men were formed. Ahab could use mutants as "hounds" to find other mutants, but what if he were using another kind of "hound" to find veins of precious metals and rare minerals?

I believe it's plausible for Xavier to have used his political conections to get most of the X-Men legal visas, probably as student visas in his school. The only case I remember that became an issue was Northstar being threaten to be deported during Liu's Astonishing run. So I guess they only care about illegal Canadians that aren't name Logan.
    I did laugh out loud at this. Xavier using political connections? It's on panel since the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby days--he mind wipes and manipulates anyone he wants to get what he wants. Storm even accused him of such, wondering how he got her to leave Africa so easily and join the All New All Different team. Xavier only seems to play by the rules because he covers his tracks with his powers.

Aside from Emma, who ran a school before the X-Men, not many of them seem to have official credentials. I believe this was pointed out during the first arc of Wolverine and The X-men when they had their first inspection but I could be remembering it wrong.
    Yes, that's my impression too. Most of them were never officially credentialed. New York City, county, and state have very strict regulations about who can teach. I don't know how the X-Men got away with instant teachers all these years. It doesn't work like that.
    Last edited by Rivka; 02-11-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Rent and mortgage free, but the estate's property taxes, though. Yikes. It's hundreds of acres.

Is there a chapel on the grounds? Maybe some kind of religious exemptions for Nightcrawler?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    Questions like who did they say fired the shot, was there a police investigation and did the coroner notice that the bullet came from a handgun not a hunting rifle.
    People go hunting with handguns all the time /s
    Quote Originally Posted by Criticalfan View Post
    Rent and mortgage free, but the estate's property taxes, though. Yikes. It's hundreds of acres.

Is there a chapel on the grounds? Maybe some kind of religious exemptions for Nightcrawler?
    You think the property taxes in upstate New York was bad? What the ever loving **** were they payingfor Central Park?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    People go hunting with handguns all the time /s
    Not to hunt a bear

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post

Yes, that's my impression too. Most of them were never officially credentialed. New York City, county, and state have very strict regulations about who can teach. I don't know how the X-Men got away with instant teachers all these years. It doesn't work like that.
    This is always tricky part of X-men do you assume that X-men fight 365 days of the year or do you assume that used their down time to finish up degrees and diplomas. The basic assumption from fans is that X-men didn't teach New mutants era students and beyond anything basically they took in all of these kids and you have bunch of 20 somethings with no high school diplomas and no college degrees except a handful like Karma. It makes more sense that X-men have almost home schooling program in a large form and after that students go online course for college and maybe finish up on campus for specialized stuff. The teachers don't have to be qualified when you look at like that in fact most of the X-men Teachers can be "Teacher Assistants" with Beast,Emma,Kitty or whoever is qualified around to administer what is officially needed. I doubt Xavier is the accredited school in the mix and is more of token thing and where ever is providing the correspondence course is the accredited school.

I would love if a writer would address this stuff officially, And over last couple of years look like X-men is meant to be a real accredited school but stories don't care flesh out that these kids graduated or who is teaching them being a more action oriented book and them want to keep people a certain age forever.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-12-2019 at 06:42 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I just wish they would let the kids grow a bit. It's not like writers want to do a ton with then at any given time. And the rest of the MU feels like it's sort of growing...sort of.