Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Some real-life aspects of the X-Men

Well, I have some perplexities, either about the comic book universe and/or the movie universe:

1- Are the X-Men paid/remunerated by Xavier in some ways? Or do they just live in a sort of "communal way", with Xavier paying for food and clothes on a basic level?
    When you become an "X-Man", you don't need to work (in the society) anymore... right?

2- How did Xavier manage to "hideously" host X-Men from other countries (Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Banshee) without facing some legal consequences or issues?

3- Who or what creates the X-Men's costumes?

4- Are all X-Men legally registered as "teachers" of the Xavier's School, in a similar way to the movieverse?

------------------->

The main X-Men universe (X-Men + Wolverine) has been altered via time travel twice, not just one ("Days of Future Past").
    This means that the timeline depicted in "First Class" (1962), "The Wolverine" (2008) and the post-apocalyptic future of "Days of Future Past" (2023) was already a massive divergence from the original, untampered version of history (the X-Men trilogy).

X-CONTINUITY
    http://x-continuity.blogspot.com

There are extensive sections explaining more about incongruences and contradictions in the saga.
    According to my scenario: Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) was a time traveler. He was born several years after the events of "The Last Stand", in the original timeline (X-Men Origins: Wolverine; X-Men; X2; The Last Stand).

Extraordinary Member

I always figured that things were paid for through a combination of Xavier's and Warren's money, mostly Warren's anymore. Or the X-Men find diamonds or something. As for the legal stuff, it normally gets handwaved. Quite a few of the mutants probably need some sort of permit to be living and working in the US, while some of them, like Laura, Gabby, Evan, and quite a few others, might not even legally exist because they're clones.

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    1- Are the X-Men paid/remunerated by Xavier in some ways? Or do they just live in a sort of "communal way", with Xavier paying for food and clothes on a basic level?
    When you become an "X-Man", you don't need to work (in the society) anymore... right?
    At the beginning, yeah, paid for mostly everything, after a while Warren started putting his money into the set up as well and then later Emma started financing some of it, Scott's Utopia more notably. After both were out, Kitty financed the school with poop diamonds from kid Krakoa and now... well, Kitty made a comment about trademaking the X-Men name so I guess she's in control of Xavier's assets and that's how they fund it now. Not sure what Scott's going to do now.

2- How did Xavier manage to "hideously" host X-Men from other countries (Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Banshee) without facing some legal consequences or issues?
    I believe it's plausible for Xavier to have used his political conections to get most of the X-Men legal visas, probably as student visas in his school. The only case I remember that became an issue was Northstar being threaten to be deported during Liu's Astonishing run. So I guess they only care about illegal Canadians that aren't name Logan.

3- Who or what creates the X-Men's costumes?
    Kitty.

Or Reed Richards did at some point.

Now, mostly I think it's a blind person.

4- Are all X-Men legally registered as "teachers" of the Xavier's School, in a similar way to the movieverse?
    Aside from Emma, who ran a school before the X-Men, not many of them seem to have official credentials. I believe this was pointed out during the first arc of Wolverine and The X-men when they had their first inspection but I could be remembering it wrong.

Astonishing Member

You do know storm was born in New York.

Also Xavier has apparently infinity money so they just used his funds to buy everyting.

Forget-Me-Not designs all the costumes.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Forget-Me-Not designs all the costumes.
    aww now I'm sad.

They live in a communal way since none of them have jobs except Warren and Dr. Cecilia Reyes. Beast recently had a job.

I know Scott once had a job as a disc jockey and Jean was a model. But I'm sure those funds ran out years ago.

Emma made tons of money selling Butterrums remains for glue.

The Shi'ar technology in the mansion probably takes care of a number of their wants. Including the costumes, since I remember the Starjammers had a costume machine (Kitty was playing with it.)

Many of them probably aren't here legally at all, but that's why they have codenames. And Val Cooper. And Xavier's FBI contacts. And the computer virus that deletes reference to them, like in court documents, (if it's still working after x-tinction agenda.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Criticalfan View Post
    The Shi'ar technology in the mansion probably takes care of a number of their wants. Including the costumes, since I remember the Starjammers had a costume machine (Kitty was playing with it.)

Many of them probably aren't here legally at all, but that's why they have codenames. And Val Cooper. And Xavier's FBI contacts. And the computer virus that deletes reference to them, like in court documents, (if it's still working after x-tinction agenda.)
    Great points.

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    At the beginning, yeah, paid for mostly everything, after a while Warren started putting his money into the set up as well and then later Emma started financing some of it, Scott's Utopia more notably. After both were out, Kitty financed the school with poop diamonds from kid Krakoa and now... well, Kitty made a comment about trademaking the X-Men name so I guess she's in control of Xavier's assets and that's how they fund it now. Not sure what Scott's going to do now.
    I'm wondering how much Xavier is rich on 616.

Extraordinary Member

Hasn't Xavier been dead quite a bit? He can't have that much money left.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Hasn't Xavier been dead quite a bit? He can't have that much money left.
    Thanks to the wonder that is high capital investments, you can easily keep your millions even while financing the X-Men. Honestly once you're a millionaire it takes some decent effort to lose that, thanks to the literally hundreds of tax laws that favor you.

BANNED

Most of them should be on anti-depressants and attending PTSD support groups.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Thanks to the wonder that is high capital investments, you can easily keep your millions even while financing the X-Men. Honestly once you're a millionaire it takes some decent effort to lose that, thanks to the literally hundreds of tax laws that favor you.
    But their base is literally destroyed about once every six months. Sometimes two times in six months. Then there's the absolutely massive amount of food they must be buying, plus uniforms and allowances for the students, books and equipment, fuel for the Black Bird.

Plus any legal issue. All the money in the world wouldn't be enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Most of them should be on anti-depressants and attending PTSD support groups.
    Here's a depressing thought: due to their unique mutations, healing factors, and general chemistry, how many mutants and other superbeings can't even use anti-depressant meds because they don't work?

BANNED

But their base is literally destroyed about once every six months. Sometimes two times in six months.
    Well, this reminds me of the scene in which Erik and Jean rebuild the school at the end of "X-Men: Apocalypse".
    They are mutants. Sometimes, life is easy for them.

But their base is literally destroyed about once every six months. Sometimes two times in six months. Then there's the absolutely massive amount of food they must be buying, plus uniforms and allowances for the students, books and equipment, fuel for the Black Bird.
    Shi'ar tech covers most of that. It's been shown rebuilding the mansion automatically in the past. In Damage Control, for one, although that was a bit of a joke title. Early in X-Force, Boom-Boom used Shi'ar tech to redesign the team's costumes. The question is, where does it get the raw materials? Recycling only goes so far.

Here's a depressing thought: due to their unique mutations, healing factors, and general chemistry, how many mutants and other superbeings can't even use anti-depressant meds because they don't work?
    That makes sense; too bad they never deal with that kind of thing in the books. I believe most of the psi-powered characters studied psychology, though. (When the original GenX started there was a special that listed everyone's majors.) That would mitigate some mental health problems. Whether it's an ethical solution is another question, of course,.