Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Did anyone else really not like/hate the Grant Morrison run?

This was the first run from start to finish I ever read and honestly almost immediately I utterly despised it. There were ideas in it I liked (ruby quartz contact lenses, why had no one done that before?) but over all I just...hated it.

But so often I've seen reviews online or heard on podcasts (Jay and Miles...) praise it up the wazoo.

I'm not even asking WHY people liked it, just if anyone else felt as I did about it and if so what turned you off about it?

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I hated it. Everything could have been done in a better way.
    I didn't like that he killed jean and marvel followed that for more than a decade.
    I didn't like that Cyclops character was regressed, he went from a stable person to insecure and messed up again
    Also it was possible to break Jean/Scott without making everybody and the relationship look like trash.

Aside from soap opera everything from his run was retconned/ignored, only the toxicity is left.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 02-23-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Morrison was sort of bresth of fresh air around the time and have some interesting ideas, wich is kind of his strong point, he is a great concept/idea man but his execution let something to be desired. Another of his strenght is being unexpected and dramatic, something that probably come from his love for the Silver Age, but charactherization often suffers for it and i'm not even getting in how weird his dialogue can be "Oh god, not the Search of Cyclops again" (da **** Charles?).

But to answer your question, as part of the main continuity, no, i don't like it, he went too far in many aspects and got most of the characthers personalities wrong. As a weird AU deconstruction from the early 2000s, is kind of fun and have his place, i just really wish that it wasn't in the 616 continuity.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

To me, Morrison's run is that horrible class you decided to take in college because of credits. After the semester is over, you're left with very little useful knowledge and the reminder of how rude/awful the professor was.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

I love it the way other people love Watchmen. It’s not perfect but it’s pretty damn good.

Oops I didn’t read the OP. I didn’t realize this was a hate parade. I’ll see myself out.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 02-23-2019 at 05:46 PM.

BANNED

The Xorn/Magneto thing was silly. The cowardice of killing off a popular female character because they wanted the pet character to have a new girlfriend without the continued existence of the old one is the height of neckbeardism. Still, I find the run to be a net positive overall, considering concepts and characters that were established and characterizations that were played so well that they caught on and made waves that are still rolling to this day.

BANNED

Its horrible, he hates the franchise and tried his darndest to ruin it, the only people are are really into his run are Morrisonfans who hate everything that he hasn't written, it's like a cult

Cat Beast is the worst

Ew, that Magneto

Otherwise, no weaknesses
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It was not bad, but it was not the modern classic the Morrison fanboys like to think it is. It was basically a greatest hits of X-Men troupes with Morrison touch. Evil Magneto? Check. Sentiniels? Check. Phoneix? Check. The ending was bad and an actual editor would have told Morrison from the start "no your not having Magneto go full nazi and your not killing him off", but then again it is marvel and editors do basically nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    It was not bad, but it was not the modern classic the Morrison fanboys like to think it is. It was basically a greatest hits of X-Men troupes with Morrison touch. Evil Magneto? Check. Sentiniels? Check. Phoneix? Check. The ending was bad and an actual editor would have told Morrison from the start "no your not having Magneto go full nazi and your not killing him off", but then again it is marvel and editors do basically nothing.
    Basically a fan fic

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I didn't like that he killed jean and marvel followed that for more than a decade.
    I didn't like that Cyclops character was regressed, he went from a stable person to insecure and messed up again
    Also it was possible to break Jean/Scott without making everybody and the relationship look like trash.

Aside from soap opera everything from his run was retconned/ignored, only the toxicity is left.
    That is my main problem with Morrison run. I don't care about Jott, but his treatment of Jean was pure misoginy and unfair. Much tanks for the character being dead 14 years.

I didn't hated it, I would give it a 6. some serviceable new characters and concepts, but overall awful characterization.
    Last edited by spirit2011; 02-23-2019 at 06:49 PM.

Horrible. Killed off 2 Cuckoo's, reducing the 5-in-one to triplets and having one of the girls fall for old man Xorneto. Yuck.

For those that hated his run I hate to think what you thought of the rest of the X-Men run and especially what came after. The X-Men has never been as good as Grant Morrison's X-Men run. I wish one day we can get a super talented writer that can inject something fresh into the series while at the same time using classic elements from the X-Men history.

Morrison demonstrated that the X-Men could actually be good. It could be a quality comic book and not a dumpy superhero book with bad plots, bad dialogue, and a lot of cheesy moments. It could be a sci-fi book with high concepts. It could actually be about evolution. I loved his voice and I loved the layers and themes in his work. Yes he reuses a lot of themes (look at his other works or look no further than All Star Superman and compare to his X-Men run).

I was in college when Morrison's run was out. I couldn't wait to leave school and walk into town to purchase New X-Men. I was a huge Jean Grey fan (still am obviously) but I loved even issues where she did not appear. I loved the issue where she died.

I even enjoyed Scott and Emma's interaction. Before Morrison's run the X-Men had become stale and the Claremont revolution run was a mess (though I did love how he wrote Jean). Morrison gave the X-Men what they needed and it was quality and it was something the X-Men had been missing.

Of course this is just my opinion. On these very boards the book was controversial and there seemed to be two camps at the time : the kids who loved the book and thought they were the cool kids and those that hated it with a passion but loved/preferred Claremont's work.

The only negative thing about Grant's run is that at the time it ruined a lot of the older X-Men runs for me. I couldn't stand to read older X-Men comics. They seemed dated and poor quality. They were so lacking that it was distracting. As time has went on I can enjoy Claremont again and even the various 90's X-Men books. Of course at the present the X-Men feel like 90's part II (which is sad and frustrating but hopefully it will not last).

It was the worst thing to ever happen to the X-Men imo. Only thing that I liked was that Emma Frost became a major character. There is just so many things to hate about it but I won't go on.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

What I liked: He made it an actual school and opened it to the public. I was getting tired of all the on the run stories for the X-Men. I like that Emma was brought into the actual X-Men (even if I prefer her as a villain). I like how he ended the whole Logan/Jean speculation - Logan grew up! The Cuckoos, Xorn, Quinton etc.

What I didn't like: Village People Logan - not knocking that group but that isn't Logans style and if he were to go gay it would be Brokeback Mountain style. Xorneto, the affair, tossing Jean away like trash. Cat Beast. Making the more "hideous" mutants punchlines rather than actual people. How he dealt with sex. "Here Comes Tomorrow" - basically how he ended his run.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post

Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    Its horrible, he hates the franchise and tried his darndest to ruin it, the only people are are really into his run are Morrisonfans who hate everything that he hasn't written, it's like a cult
    Actually, he was a fan of Claremonts run and if I remember correctly CC was fond of his as well. Take that as you will.

I'm going to agree with a lot of other people's hates, but I'd also like to add in that I hate what they did with Emma's character. In Generation X we saw her grow, mature, and deal with her own demons. Then she got on the X-men and almost immediately went back to her old Hellfire personality with none of the growth.

Also the fact that grant really amped up the number of mutants everwhere, as well as making grotesque physical mutations appear to be the new norm really put marvel in a bind that wrecked the X-men to the point where they still haven't recovered from it.

Cassandra Nova is also a really horrible villain. Xavier's evil twin sister who's even more powerful than he is? People take that character seriously?