View Poll Results: Do you want to see Emma Frost back on an X-Men team?

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

144 59.26%
  • No

99 40.74%
Page 47 of 57 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    They just don't like the direction Williams set her into.

The thing is, it was this or cackling stupid evil villain killed off, likely by Jean, for almost zero effect.
    So in other words, the house always wins...
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    She seems to be Emma's biggest fan, wouldn't Leah writting Emma be a good thing for the character?
    Having any character's "biggest fan" usually doesn't work out well in the mid-long term. Heck, over the past few years, one could argue it didn't work out that well in the short term, too.

Just so we're clear, I don't personally mind Williams writing Emma. It's just that editorial would have to crack the whip and enforce rules to the effect of "We're totally cool with character appreciation, but no character worship. The last thing we need is another Gold/Red. Running the HFC, stealing some of the X-Men's pissed off students and being a Machiavellian anti-heroine underworld power player is totally fine. But actually succeeding in turning the HFC - aka a bunch of scheming, cowardly backstabbers - into a force of Good? Efff to the no. That's just really, reeeaaalllyyy bad fanfic. Take it or leave it."

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Having any character's "biggest fan" usually doesn't work out well in the mid-long term. Heck, over the past few years, one could argue it didn't work out that well in the short term, too.

Just so we're clear, I don't personally mind Williams writing Emma. It's just that editorial would have to crack the whip and enforce rules to the effect of "We're totally cool with character appreciation, but no character worship. The last thing we need is another Gold/Red. Running the HFC, stealing some of the X-Men's pissed off students and being a Machiavellian anti-heroine underworld power player is totally fine. But actually succeeding in turning the HFC - aka a bunch of scheming, cowardly backstabbers - into a force of Good? Efff to the no. That's just really, reeeaaalllyyy bad fanfic. Take it or leave it."
    Emma should be an alternative to the X-Schools, since they clearly don't work.

That's cool. The thing is, teaching is a full-time job and then some. X-Men suck at it because they're trying to be superheroes at the same time. If Emma insists on running the HFC and still doing fieldwork, she should suck at it too in the mid/long term. Fair is fair, right?

Clearly nothing works. If anything "worked" the major conflict that drives all X-Men comics would end. The point of the books isn't to succeed, it's too keep trying. Even Emma with all her pragmatic ruthlessness still oversaw the worst student casualties rates ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    Clearly nothing works. If anything "worked" the major conflict that drives all X-Men comics would end. The point of the books isn't to succeed, it's too keep trying. Even Emma with all her pragmatic ruthlessness still oversaw the worst student casualties rates ever.
    The overwhelming majority weren't her fault. Editorial just can't think of a way to raise the stakes without killing students for shock value.

That's cool. The thing is, teaching is a full-time job and then some. X-Men suck at it because they're trying to be superheroes at the same time. If Emma insists on running the HFC and still doing fieldwork, she should suck at it too in the mid/long term. Fair is fair, right?
    The Queen is just better at multi-tasking then they are. I'm shocked certain X-characters can walk and chew gum at the same time, let alone manage any kind of mutant affairs.

The Queen is just better at multi-tasking then they are. I'm shocked certain X-characters can walk and chew gum at the same time, let alone manage any kind of mutant affairs.
    1. Of course she is. Not the point, though. Juggling all those responsibilities should eventually (thus the mid/long term comment) take its toll on anyone, ever.

2. Not even touching that 'mutant affairs' bit, lol. I'll give it to Emma, she did try, which is a step up from many, many X-Men, but her track record is hardly something to brag about.

The overwhelming majority weren't her fault. Editorial just can't think of a way to raise the stakes without killing students for shock value.
    I didn't say it was her fault. I said nothing works. You can try your best, do everything right, and still fail. That's kind of baked into the X-Men and has been since Claremont took over.

BANNED

Williams just isn't a good writer from what I've read from her, those two X-one shots were disappointing for different reasons and she seems kinda absolutely crazy on twitter, unhinged even

Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    Williams just isn't a good writer from what I've read from her, those two X-one shots were disappointing for different reasons and she seems kinda absolutely crazy on twitter, unhinged even
    Black Emma Frost was fine as long as you remember that her hands are tied regarding the retcons to Emma's past. And she's a huge comic book nerd, which is a step up from the writers that interact on social media just long enough to call their fans entitled and bail.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I would say no. I think marvel wants her to be a villain which is more suiting.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

William's won't even have to try to top the vast majority of stuff written about Emma, honestly. Having her take over the HC is in and of itself more positive and triumphant than anything else that's happened to the character since...before Morrison himself?

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I would say no. I think marvel wants her to be a villain which is more suiting.
    Maybe if you stopped paying attention to the character after 1987...

Yes, I have to agree.

I am quite unsure about the current members of the Hellfire Club and what influence it has nowadays as there's been so many different takes the last years, but it was made clear in X-Men Black at least that she was made Black King because she got the backing of a majority behind the back of Shaw.

Most of these silent members probably are not even mutants and so would hardly stand for her devoting all of its resources (which I am also not sure exactly what they would be) to pushing the mutant cause and building mutant schools.

That would not make for a very interesting story either way.