Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Well, that's the most gratuitous butt-shot of Clark I can recall seeing in print.
    haha you noticed too? I'm not complaining.

This looks good, loving the art! When is it out and how much $?

Another origin? Ugh. Looks good otherwise.

Claudio Castellini at art duties? For a 100-page book? Is this for real? What, is Wolfman holding one of Claudio's relatives hostage or something?

For those who have never heard about this artist, Castellini is a scion of a filthy rich Italian family and wouldn't have needed to work a single day in his life. He entered the world of comics because he held people like John Buscema and Neal Adams as his own personal deities, but since he was and still is so rich he always did things exclusively because of passion. He could have quit comics anytime he wished and, in fact, he did. In 2007, to be precise, after a series of covers for Countdown to Final Crisis (one of the few good things about that series) which were his very last contribution to American comics until this day. And now this.

I stick to my theory of Marv Wolfman holding somebody prisoner in his house's basement.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    Claudio Castellini at art duties? For a 100-page book? Is this for real? What, is Wolfman holding one of Claudio's relatives hostage or something?

For those who have never heard about this artist, Castellini is a scion of a filthy rich Italian family and wouldn't have needed to work a single day in his life. He entered the world of comics because he held people like John Buscema and Neal Adams as his own personal deities, but since he was and still is so rich he always did things exclusively because of passion. He could have quit comics anytime he wished and, in fact, he did. In 2007, to be precise, after a series of covers for Countdown to Final Crisis (one of the few good things about that series) which were his very last contribution to American comics until this day. And now this.

I stick to my theory of Marv Wolfman holding somebody prisoner in his house's basement.
    This is actually an old story from around 2006. So it may very well have been drawn then and just never got published. Everyone is complaining that this is a "new" origin but it was actually made at a time when his origin was kind of up in the air. So it's more of a stand alone story than anything else.
    Assassinate Putin!

I guess if it's from 2006 then I can't blame them for sitting on it - that was right when the awful "A New Origin Every Two Years" trend was kicking off, and I think this one would've gotten lost in the mix. I also can't get annoyed for not including Mrs. Nyxly if this was written before her debut issue.

I'll give this a look. Wolfman isn't my favorite Superman writer - he's great for many other characters, but I always thought his Superman was a little bland. Maybe it's something he has in common with Bendis - when you make your career writing teenagers, your older heroes just wind up more bland, especially to someone like me who prefers a younger, more passionate roughneck kind of Superman. All that said, the art looks really good, makes Clark look sexy and cool, and I have always loved Wolfman's take on Metropolis!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I thought he did a good George Reeves/Golden age pastiche and in general was a decent to solid Superman writer barring some painful stuff associated with Crisis.

The Confidential line was essentially based on a continuity light "Year One" concept with popular guest creators for both Batman and Superman. It's not so much an origin retelling as a story set early on, with the move to Metropolis being a natural and largely untouched beat from the rest of that series.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Marv Wolfman on Writing Superman (it starts around the 4 min mark):

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I thought he did a good George Reeves/Golden age pastiche and in general was a decent to solid Superman writer barring some painful stuff associated with Crisis.

The Confidential line was essentially based on a continuity light "Year One" concept with popular guest creators for both Batman and Superman. It's not so much an origin retelling as a story set early on, with the move to Metropolis being a natural and largely untouched beat from the rest of that series.
    I just listened to the new interview with Wolfman. He said the story starts when Clark first arrives to Metropolis and before meeting Lois. Is it really out of continuity?

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I just listened to the new interview with Wolfman. He said the story starts when Clark first arrives to Metropolis and before meeting Lois. Is it really out of continuity?
    It conflicts with what they set up in the Post-Reborn origin recap in that spoilers:
    it establishes Clark and Lois knew each other before he debuted as Superman and operates as a "super-man" so to speak before donning the suit
    end of spoilers But it really wouldn't take much to figure a way to squeeze it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    It conflicts with what they set up in the Post-Reborn origin recap in that spoilers:
    it establishes Clark and Lois knew each other before he debuted as Superman and operates as a "super-man" so to speak before donning the suit
    end of spoilers But it really wouldn't take much to figure a way to squeeze it in.
    hmm, Wolfman also said Clark falls in love with Lois before even meeting her due to her writing. Sounds interesting indeed. So is this 100 page the whole story or there are more books?

hmm, Wolfman also said Clark falls in love with Lois before even meeting her due to her writing. Sounds interesting indeed. So is this 100 page the whole story or there are more books?
    Lois is pretty great in this one. And it actually dovetails with how Bendis has characterized how Clark sees Lois. But Its self contained. Basically the full four or five comic arc in one package.

BANNED

Lois looked very different in this book compared to Clark and Lex, but she had the tried and true voice and I love how kind and complimentary she is to Clark while still reminding him not to step on her turf and that she looks forward to scooping him

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Lois is pretty great in this one. And it actually dovetails with how Bendis has characterized how Clark sees Lois. But Its self contained. Basically the full four or five comic arc in one package.
    ok so the full story. How much is it? And is it worth buying?

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Lois looked very different in this book compared to Clark and Lex, but she had the tried and true voice and I love how kind and complimentary she is to Clark while still reminding him not to step on her turf and that she looks forward to scooping him
    You already read it? Was it really good?

It's $9.99, so definitely cheaper than buying 4 comics separately. It is a lot better than I expected it to be and actually a pretty interesting take on a pretty well worn story. Wolfman has a great forward as well that goes into how it came to be and why it was shelved that I liked. The art is really good. It's really a Clark Kent story more so than a Superman story. If that makes sense? Getting into more would require some spoilers. But it is pretty good.

BANNED

Yes, without spoiling too much, for anyone who grew up in the pre-flashpoint days it's a treat. Lois, Lex and Clark are all great reads.

Wolfman's foreward also really puts over Tomasi, who was his editor when he first wrote this story.