Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so, this version of Metropolis was based on what, New York 1978? lol..
    Ha ha, I was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    It's $9.99, so definitely cheaper than buying 4 comics separately. It is a lot better than I expected it to be and actually a pretty interesting take on a pretty well worn story. Wolfman has a great forward as well that goes into how it came to be and why it was shelved that I liked. The art is really good. It's really a Clark Kent story more so than a Superman story. If that makes sense? Getting into more would require some spoilers. But it is pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Yes, without spoiling too much, for anyone who grew up in the pre-flashpoint days it's a treat. Lois, Lex and Clark are all great reads.

Wolfman's foreward also really puts over Tomasi, who was his editor when he first wrote this story.
    thanks guys

This definitely sounds good, I think I might try and see if I can't nab it off Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Well, that's the most gratuitous butt-shot of Clark I can recall seeing in print.
    Man of Steel? More like buns of steel!

What? Somebody had to do that joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Man of Steel? More like buns of steel!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I loved this story. I've been reading Superman titles/stories for over 40 years and it's definitely a favorite. Hopefully the price tag doesn't cause people to pass on it--as others have already said, it's a great deal for what is basically 4 comics. It's been a long time since a comic cost $2.50!

So, just bought this off amazon, and figured while I was at it I'd further shore up my Superman origins collection and also bought Secret Origin and For All Seasons. So that should be fun. Might post my thoughts on this when it arrives in like a week or so (not paying for two day shipping).

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Just read this. Love it! Great stand alone story. Reminded me a lot of BR. I advise anyone who loves Superman to pick it up. Both the writing and the art are exceptional. There are a few weak parts but overall a really good story.
    Assassinate Putin!

I thought it was great. Best origin retelling since Byrne IMO.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

It is really good! The art is something else. I wish they would have released this as a hardcover. I love this format too, it's a steal for such a great story.

This is officially "my" new comic origin for Superman. It did a good job of blending elements of previous origins...but avoided things that I'm not a fan of (bumbling Clark).

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The art is good, but I wonder what else can they add since we have so many Superman origin.
    Also, when is this set, because I thought Pete and Lana are young Ma and Pa because they look so old fashioned. I'm more used to recent Pete and Lana that look younger and trendier.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Also, when is this set, because I thought Pete and Lana are young Ma and Pa because they look so old fashioned. I'm more used to recent Pete and Lana that look younger and trendier.
    It was written a decade ago, and it was probably meant to be set earlier in the past than that since it was an origin story, so without having read it yet (but my copy is already shipped!) maybe about 20 years ago? Say late 90s/early 00s? That'd be my guess. Can't say I know if that's closer or further away from how Pete and Lana were typically depicted back then.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    This is officially "my" new comic origin for Superman. It did a good job of blending elements of previous origins...but avoided things that I'm not a fan of (bumbling Clark).
    I wouldn't mind if this became the origin for the next reboot, perhaps if Manhattan restores the Kents to life at the end of Doomsday Clock like some have speculated?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

This book was great! I wish DC would give some other inventory issues they're sitting on this treatment.

As for the continuity of it - Considering Wolfman was writing Adventures post-CoIE while Byrne was on Superman, I just read this as if it was an untold tale from Clark's early days set in Byrne's MoS continuity.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah, it's kind of like a different take on World of Metropolis #3. I wasn't able to read the last chapter yet but it's really great. I always thought Wolfman was extremely underrated in writing a grounded Superman, from pre to post crisis and including his Berganza era guest work. Castellini also happens to be way better than the preview even indicated. The gorgeous shot of Lana, the generally awesome lines, huge city shots, careful anatomy, that MJ esque reveal of Lois (I think we've all waited forever for something like that, on top of her getting those hilarious smartass lines) and the beautiful Clark he draws, which impressively does look younger than those commission sketches.

Oh and it's funny that aside from a stray computer or phone, it's totally the 70s.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES