Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Default Superman Origins

Hey all. Is there a list of Superman Origin stories? Here are what I already know
    Secret Origin
    American Alien
    Birthright
    John Byrne Man of Steel
    Grant Morrison Action Comics
    Golden Age Vol. 1

I also like to know any story arc, series, or single issues that portray Superman and the world around him before he became Superman. This can range from the origin of Krypton to him growing up at Smallville until he moves to Metropolis.

Here are what I already know
    New 52 Secret Origins
    Zero Year
    Adventure Comics

The first time he acts as a hero in costume should be the end of the origin, but if it's part of a bigger story arc like Birthright and Byrne, then I don't mind going a bit further.

Not all of them has to be canon anymore, though I'll put a limit in that Superman has to be Clark Kent of Smallville. Meaning the hispanic and russian version don't count.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Action Comics #500 was a thorough origin retelling.

Superman Secret Years was a pre crisis mini series taking him from Superboy to Superman.

World of Krypton, World of Smallville, and World of Krypton are three series from the same time for post crisis world building. But don't waste your time with Smallville.

Superman Year One is comprised of the 1995 annuals. Yes he's already Superman during it, but it covers the same ground as Man of Steel from different angles.

Superman For All Seasons is along the same lines, but pulls the calender back a bit further to take him out of high school graduation.

Superman: Kryptonite is the initial arc of Superman Confidential by the same artist, Tim Sale. It deals with his early days and first encountering krypronite.

Action #800 was a dynamic origin retelling.

Secret Origin #1 from 1986 retells his origin from the golden age.

The upcoming Man and Superman, out this week, looks like another entry in this category.

There are also like two dozen stories dealing with a young Clark. They're not necessarily as close to these as what you would call origins or a "year one", though. There's supposed to be a new Year One to boot, but it's been delayed for like 18 months already.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Action Comics #500 was a thorough origin retelling.

Superman Secret Years was a pre crisis mini series taking him from Superboy to Superman.

World of Krypton, World of Smallville, and World of Krypton are three series from the same time for post crisis world building. But don't waste your time with Smallville.

Superman Year One is comprised of the 1995 annuals. Yes he's already Superman during it, but it covers the same ground as Man of Steel from different angles.

Superman For All Seasons is along the same lines, but pulls the calender back a bit further to take him out of high school graduation.

Superman: Kryptonite is the initial arc of Superman Confidential by the same artist, Tim Sale. It deals with his early days and first encountering krypronite.

Action #800 was a dynamic origin retelling.

Secret Origin #1 from 1986 retells his origin from the golden age.

The upcoming Man and Superman, out this week, looks like another entry in this category.

There are also like two dozen stories dealing with a young Clark. They're not necessarily as close to these as what you would call origins or a "year one", though. There's supposed to be a new Year One to boot, but it's been delayed for like 18 months already.
    Thanks!

What do you mean by dynamic retelling?

So there's already a Superman Year One in the 90s? This is the first time I heard about it. I thought the current Year One in the making is the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Is this an issue, an arc, a mini? Internet search just turned up some old play.

Astonishing Member

It's a one-shot that collects an unpublished arc from the late 80's- early 90's. somewhere in size and price between a large annual and a trade.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Thanks!

So there's already a Superman Year One in the 90s? This is the first time I heard about it. I thought the current Year One in the making is the only one.
    It was basically a retelling of Superman #146 from 1961 but more comprehensive with updates of things. If you can find it, The Superman Story was basically a reprint of Action #500 published in black and white in the early eighties. You can probably find it on Amazon for like $5.
    Assassinate Putin!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The 100 page spectacular has a newer thread on thia board, too. It was a shelved arc that they're just now releasing all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Thanks!

Action #800 had a few different perspectives and artists tell the story in a nonlinear way. It was pretty cool.

DC had a line wide Year One annual release in 1995, for just about every series and then some. Like even Doomsday got one. Because Superman had four titles and the teams naturally collaborated, those stories gelled together for form one.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Retired

Superman as Superboy first appeared in MORE FUN COMICS No. 101 (January-February 1945), then moved to ADVENTURE COMICS with its issue No. 103 (April 1946), then got his own comic starting with SUPERBOY No. 1 (March-April 1949). In the 1960s, the Legion of Super-Heroes took over his feature in ADVENTURE and, in the 1970s, the Legion took over his feature in SUPERBOY. But he got another run in ADVENTURE COMICS starting with issue No. 453 (September-October 1977), before moving to SUPERMAN FAMILY with their issue No. 191 (September-October 1978). And then ultimately his own title all over again with THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERBOY No. 1 (January 1980)--which managed to stay alive until issue 54 (June 1984).