Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Detective Comics #1000 Preview and Discussion

DC Comics have gone nuts with the variant covers for this issue and they've brought out some sweet ones, who thinks what's inside the wrapper will be as good? I'm personally wary about a single book with 10 credited writers (plus "others!") and can't see how it will be anything other than an unwieldy beast of a story but it will be interesting to see how it works out!

(W) Peter J. Tomasi, Brian Michael Bendis, Paul Dini, Warren Ellis, Geoff Johns, Tom King, Dennis O'Neil, Christopher Priest, Kevin Smith, Scott Snyder, Others (A) Doug Mahnke, Neal Adams, Greg Capullo, Tony S. Daniel, Steve Epting, Kelley Jones, Andy Kubert, Alex Maleev, Dustin Nguyen (CA) Scott Williams (A/CA) Jim Lee

After 80 years, it's here-the 1,000th issue of DETECTIVE COMICS, the title that literally defines DC! This 96-page issue is stacked with an unbelievable lineup of talent that will take you on a journey through Batman's past, present and future...plus a sensational epilogue that features the first-ever DC Universe appearance of the deadly Arkham Knight! But who is under the mask? And why do they want Batman dead? The incredible future of Batman adventures begins here!

Default Detective comics #1000 brian bolland variant

I have to confess that this variant in particular is burning a hole in the credit card! Brian Bolland and Batman in the one comic

https://allforgeeks.com/variant-covers/new-variant-covers/detective-comics-1000-brian-bolland-variant/
    Last edited by allforgeeks; 02-06-2019 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allforgeeks View Post
    DC Comics have gone nuts with the variant covers for this issue and they've brought out some sweet ones, who thinks what's inside the wrapper will be as good? I'm personally wary about a single book with 10 credited writers (plus "others!") and can't see how it will be anything other than an unwieldy beast of a story but it will be interesting to see how it works out!
    The 10+ writers thing isn't a big problem, since just like Action Comics #1000, they're each telling their own little short story that's contained in this big compilation, with Tomasi's Arkham Knight story being the "main" story, just like Bendis' Rogol Zuul story was for Action Comics.

Here's each of the writer/artist pairings for the story. I'm personally most interested in/excited for the Smith/Lee, Bendis/Maleev, and King/Daniel/Jones stories.

Peter J. Tomasi & Doug Mahnke
    Kevin Smith & Jim Lee
    Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev
    Warren Ellis & Becky Cloonan
    Paul Dini & Dustin Nguyen
    Dennis O’Neil & Steve Epting
    Christopher Priest & Neal Adams
    Geoff Johns & Kelley Jones
    Tom King & Tony S. Daniel and Joëlle Jones
    Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo
    James Tynion IV & Alvaro Martinez

Astonishing Member

Real shame there's no Grant Morrison. Love Grant Morrison's Batman run.

Astonishing Member

Stories I'm most interested in:

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    The 10+ writers thing isn't a big problem, since just like Action Comics #1000, they're each telling their own little short story that's contained in this big compilation, with Tomasi's Arkham Knight story being the "main" story, just like Bendis' Rogol Zuul story was for Action Comics.

Here's each of the writer/artist pairings for the story. I'm personally most interested in/excited for the Smith/Lee, Bendis/Maleev, and King/Daniel/Jones stories.

Kevin Smith & Jim Lee
    Warren Ellis & Becky Cloonan
    Geoff Johns & Kelley Jones
    Tom King & Tony S. Daniel and Joëlle Jones
    James Tynion IV & Alvaro Martinez
    That makes a lot more sense, thanks - I haven't seen Action Comics #1000 so wasn't aware of that format. and yeah, Bendis and Maleev will be awesome

Still upset very few of the cover artists actually worked on Detective aside from Jock I think. I'd have liked to see a Graham Nolan cover for sure, he and Dixon had a great run on the book. I'm also sure they could have found some unpublished Breyfogle work to use.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Empty is thy hand!

I appreciate the lack of Morrison, making this easy to skip.

Morrison's exclusion is unfortunate, and kind of makes this a hard sell considering I'm only in for King, and I believe Bendis/Maleev is a reprint.

Ugh. Why are Johns and Smith even here? They're like Gotham's own roaches; you don't want them and you can't get rid of them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    I appreciate the lack of Morrison, making this easy to skip.
    Ha, on the contrary, this kinda makes it easier for me to pick up.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Much as I've been a big fan of the Bat-franchise in the past, I've really had very little love for either for the main Batman title nor for Detective Comics since Stillbirth back in 2016.

Still haven't decided if I'll even bother to try and pick up issue #1000 or not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Morrison's exclusion is unfortunate, and kind of makes this a hard sell considering I'm only in for King, and I believe Bendis/Maleev is a reprint.

Ugh. Why are Johns and Smith even here? They're like Gotham's own roaches; you don't want them and you can't get rid of them.
    Morrison never wrote Detective Comics so I'm OK with that.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

So is this the first time that Bendis has written a Batman story?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Do you mean not counting the Batman arc he's writing for the comic books sold through Walmart?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    He and Michael Gaydos actually did a short story called "Citizen Wayne" back in 2000 that was reprinted in Pearl #1 recently. And of course there's his 12-issue Walmart Batman book that's currently going on, so he's got a fair bit of Batman experience at this moment.