Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How would you feel if they did a Batman Series based on an else world story?

So I've often thought about this and I know they like to keep Batman in the movies but wouldn't a good way around that be to do an else world series about Batman? I mean I'd give something like that a shot especially if they did a Gotham by Gaslight or Batman Vampire or some weirdo combination of the two type story. I think it would really depend but I'd totally watch a series about Batman even if it was else world based so long as the writing was good.

Ultimately I'd rather Gotham By Gaslight be made into a series because I think it'd be more interesting to see his enemies adapted into a different time period. Though I think it'd be cool to get a series comic or tv that takes a Gaslight setting and combines it with a supernatural element/spin on the Batman rogues.

No elseworld has enough material written for an ongoing series. Now, if each season was a different elseworld, that could work. Kind of like what American Horror Story does, but you know, with Batman instead of horror subgenres.

Incredible Member

I’ve been pretending King’s Run is an elseworld story nice it started. Still don’t like it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    I’ve been pretending King’s Run is an elseworld story nice it started. Still don’t like it.
    Hahahaha.

I get you buddy.

Incredible Member

Will feel very pleased indeed. Gives the opportunity to create interesting stories that don't resort to fans screaming bloody murder and setting cars on fire.

Batman White Knight (2018) - fantastic. Eagerly waiting on the sequel.

Astonishing Member

I like the idea, but it feels like DC is dancing around the idea of a Batman show with Batman in it. An Elseworld would just be another “not-Batman” Batman show.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    So I've often thought about this and I know they like to keep Batman in the movies but wouldn't a good way around that be to do an else world series about Batman? I mean I'd give something like that a shot especially if they did a Gotham by Gaslight or Batman Vampire or some weirdo combination of the two type story. I think it would really depend but I'd totally watch a series about Batman even if it was else world based so long as the writing was good.

Ultimately I'd rather Gotham By Gaslight be made into a series because I think it'd be more interesting to see his enemies adapted into a different time period. Though I think it'd be cool to get a series comic or tv that takes a Gaslight setting and combines it with a supernatural element/spin on the Batman rogues.
    Some DC Universe-exclusive cartoon set on an Elseworld would seem pretty feasible to me. A live action version of the character seems out of reach unless he’s on the big screen, unfortunately.

The big, interesting question of doing an Elseworlds-based Batman/other character show would be that the writers could feel free to cut loose and actually embrace serialized storytelling. You could cover decades worth form if you wanted to, and with an Elseworlds, you could cut loose and go crazy.

Basically, imagine a cartoon with Young Justice levels of intricacy, but even more freedom.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Isnt this basically what Batman Beyond is?

I'm all for the idea. These characters are large enough to have multiple iterations and already do. One more that has even more creative freedom and a really good foundation to build on? Sure, why the hell not?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Lightbulb

LMAO, I have a feeling you aren't alone.

Edit - I'd be down with such a project if the Elseworld was interesting enough. Like What If Joker killed Babs rathered than crippled her or what if Jason Todd stayed Robin.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Fantastic Member

my elseworld would be what if bruce had a younger sister just born before the death of his parents. How would that change the things he does. Also instead of dick being adopted by bruce he was adopted by the original black canary and her detective husband and became the defacto brother of the current black canary.

Fantastic Member

I also think of kings work as a crazy elseworld that will be deleted once king is off batman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nonsense man View Post
    I also think of kings work as a crazy elseworld that will be deleted once king is off batman
    LMAO it's so funny because people were saying this exact thing about Snyder just a few years ago.

this thread is about Elseworlds and people are just chomping at the bit to talk **** about the current run. Give it a rest, there are appropriate threads for that. maybe you guys haven't read enough Batman Elseworlds stories to actually contribute to this thread, if that's the case then leave it to the fans please....

anyway, Speeding Bullets is one of my favorite Elseworlds stories and to me has the most potential for an ongoing series. It's where baby Kal-El was discovered by the Waynes instead of the Kents. He becomes Bruce Wayne and takes on the mantle of the Bat. there's a lot you can do and I think if you had a good writer behind it, Batman would appear as a truly menacing and opposing figure to the criminal world because he would be so powerful and his ways of beating you would be unexpected and rely on superpowers instead of gadgets but still using the Dark Knight's proponents of fear to battle criminals. Batman flying around with red eyes at super speed knocking out thugs left and right in pure darkness is a great aesthetic

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Speeding Bullets would be ripe for expansion. How would a Superman, with Bruce's origins, cope with the larger world? Or the larger universe?

A huge part of Batman (in his own books), is his trying to keep his world small and controlled. "Gotham is MY city" was almost a mantra in the 90's-00's, and his entire deal is that he feels he can stop all crime in Gotham, an obviously impossible task. But with Superman's powers...? Yeah, I'd definitely read it.

Also, would they combine more Superman and Batman enemies? A Brainiac/Riddler hybrid seems too obvious to ignore, but you could also have Conduit/Hush (really quite similar in some ways), Metallo/Bane (Venom muscles and cybernetic enhancements, so any 90's X-Men villain/hero). And just for fun Darkseid remains exactly the same in character/origin/power, etc, but is drawn as The Penguin. With his umbrella. That has a little Omega symbol when it opens out. Adorable.

I liked Generations, but I think that went as far as it could skipping ahead. Maybe a book could flesh out the eras could work.

I'd absolutely take more "The Doom That Came to Gotham" if Mignola were writing and, dare I dream, illustrating as well(!).

I'm pretty sure first Daredevil/Batman (D.G. Chichester and Scott McDaniel) was an Elseworlds, so I'd love to read more of that. Sadly, the sequel wasn't as good.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I'd love to see a live action Batman Elseworlds series where every three to five episodes were basically a self contained miniseries. So first four episodes are Gotham by Gaslight, next five are Speeding Bullets, next four are The Doom that came to Gotham, and so on. Really do right by each Elseworld, like each "mini"series of the larger series feels like a really good, extra long movie. Give it that kind of budget, with big name talents attached to it. Each Batman is a different actor, each Elseworld is filmed by a different director, and where possible each script is written by the writers who made the comics. Really make each feel unique and authentic.

I'm neutral to it.