Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Comics are kind of the last bastion of privileged primary socialization, so it doesn't surprise me that many would prefer to keep non-mutants out of the X-teams. The metaphor has worked too well.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Anyone remember those teaser art for "We Are X-Men" back in 2010 that paired an X-Man with a non-mutant? The latter included Spider-Man, Elektra, Lyra the Savage She-Hulk, and Blade. Which of those do you want to be an X-Man?
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Anyone remember those teaser art for "We Are X-Men" back in 2010 that paired an X-Man with a non-mutant? The latter included Spider-Man, Elektra, Lyra the Savage She-Hulk, and Blade. Which of those do you want to be an X-Man?
    Definitely Blade.

Our merry mutants haven't killed any vamps in a while.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Our merry mutants haven't killed any vamps in a while.
    How would Jubes feel about that?
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    How would Jubes feel about that?
    She'd probably love it considering how miserable she was as a vamp.

Ok, for a second I thought we were talking about people like Peter in the film Deadpool 2. If it's capable humans or people who have powers without X-genes, I'm surprisingly okay with no more than 1 per active team.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Criticalfan View Post
    Ok, for a second I thought we were talking about people like Peter in the film Deadpool 2. If it's capable humans or people who have powers without X-genes, I'm surprisingly okay with no more than 1 per active team.
    I thought we were talking about non-mutants with powers to join one of the X-Men teams. I agree that no team should have more than 1-2 max. And no cheating by having an existing mutant converted into a non-mutant with powers.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

As others have already said, through the years there have always been humans, magic users, even alien members (Hepzibah, Cerise, Longshot etc.) and allies of the X-Men. I wouldn't mind seeing more of that again. You all want storylines that aren't the same-old-same-old. The books need more relationship building and downtime added in with the constant tension, for character development.

Short term team-ups are fun, but I wouldn't like to see any of the more popular characters from other comics become long-term members of the team. The X-Men are already mistreated by Marvel, the don't need to be under another major character's shadow.

I have been wanting the X-Men to grow and develop past the extreme hate metaphor for ages and this would be one of the ways they can do it. I'm fine with it as long as it's not too many and it's a underused character. Blue Marvel was said earlier and that's a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Well, they've had Emma, Magik, the Stepford Cuckoos, etc., etc., on the team, so it's not like Susan Storm would be the first woman with Nordic features to join. The really cool part about Sue is that she'd be the comic book version of real world soccer moms and p-grabber hat wearing activists who are taking to the streets in protest to fight for a better future for their kids. Sue would be anything but token representation. She'd be a force worth reckoning with in more ways than one ... as every mother is.

Now quick, someone have Rachel send a telepathic image to Susan of what it looked and felt like when Franklin died in her alternate timeline.
    The FF should be more involved in mutant politics considering they have 3 mutant kids (they adopted Artie and Leech). This doesn't mean they should show up in every X-event or something, but should be shown more often fighting against bullsh*t legislation that effects their kids. It's apart of the way Marvel writes the X-Men as being all alone in this so that characters who would 100% be on their side are conveniently not around and it's stupid. It's meant to be a connected universe, treat it like one.

I wouldn't want Sue to join the X-Men, there are many characters both in and out of the team that are in limbo that can be used. I wouldn't want her to take their place when she has a more secure position being in a FF book. However, I do think it would be cool if she was a teacher at the school as she has experience as a teacher and working with mutant kids. Plus you could always use a member of staff that has force-fields and making things invisible as that would be a great powerset to protect the kids from attack.

You'd still get the message that mutants have allies and see a non-mutant helping out as well as Sue in the danger room and stuff, without her taking the spot from a less used character. The main X-team doesn't need to be very diverse as it's about showing that mutants can be heroes, but other things that help mutants such as teachers, doctors, protesters, etc. should be a mix of mutants and humans.
    Last edited by Crimz; 02-06-2019 at 06:05 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

I'd love the Marvel Cinematic Universe portray the MCU Fantastic Four having, aside from the MCU Franklin, the MCU Artie and Leech as their adopted children.

Not really a fan of it. Maybe in that world, the Marvel Universe, that might sound racist... only wanting one race in a group of heroes, but reading about them is different (at least for me).

As much as I appreciated Taylor's X-Men Red, Jean's final speech about empathetic inclusion is, for me, a statement against a person's individual right to be outside the lines and aisles of inclusion or exclusion...to be fluid and static and self determined or undetermined and to honestly answer "I don't know" when anybody tells them to check a multiple choice box next to a fixed word.

Some Mutants are non-mutants sometimes but they're always human...right? Sometimes X-Men aren't X-Men, do X-Men sign papers, carry IDs, take blood tests...show their proof of corporate propriety? If a mutant has a special power and can fly...but she gets a cold...she could get that cold from anybody...and she could get tissues and cough drops at most any gas station or pharmacy or department store...the person at the register or self-check out wouldn't ask her how she got there...it wouldn't matter really.
    Last edited by sungila; 03-22-2019 at 12:28 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

It would at least show progress instead of HUMANS MOSTLY BAD MUTANTS ALL OPPRESSED.