Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    It depends. I can easily see any character who comes from a marginalized group whether or not they are mutants, characters who have close relationships with mutant characters, or a history working with X-Men besides just team-ups with Wolverine.
    I've pitched siblings, one mutant one human, before.

Or taking my Honorary member idea, have these HM's guest star.

Spider-Man taught a class for a bit on Wolverine's recommendation but that miniseries had pretty bad writing overall. That concept did have potential though

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

If it makes sense in story then fine. But not just humans and aliens randomly showing up and joining.

No, to me the X-Men are mutants, end of story.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    If it makes sense in story then fine. But not just humans and aliens randomly showing up and joining.
    What if it's not just the story, but the overall sociopolitical climate of the 616? Would that be considered random? Say Congress passes an anti-mutant law signed by the President, which the Supreme Court upholds under challenge, basically leading to the eventual rounding up of mutants and eradication of the mutant genome. Now that it's the law of the land with no near term way of changing it, a handful of non-mutant heroes/villains decide they want to help the X-Men make a stand and protect mutants as best they can indefinitely. Would that be ok?
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

There have been a few and I actually liked most non mutant members.

We had Moira, Omega Sentinel, Daytripper, Danger, Ink, Lockheed, all part of an X-Men or satellite group.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    The Marvel Universe still has racism, sexism, and every other kind of hateful -ism that we have in the real world. The marginalized exist in the MU. Just look no further than Blue Marvel. But even if mutants were the only hated group, you'd still have decent human beings rallying to their cause. It would be wrong of mutants not to accept their aid and support. After all, they are fighting for a world where inclusivity, interdependence and mutual respect in one another's dignity are common fair. The X-Men would be the biggest hypocrites for maintaining and promoting teams that deliberately exclude non-mutants.
    There's a difference between being allies, and wearing the X. I have no problem with non-mutants being the former. In fact the X-Men need to do a much better job there. It's the latter that concerns me. The X-Men are a part of mutant identity. If you take away the mutant element, what fundamentally makes them different than the Avengers or any other superhero team?

There's more than enough X-Men already. People are constantly complaining that characters don't get panel time. Why would we want to make that worse by adding even more?

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    There's a difference between being allies, and wearing the X. I have no problem with non-mutants being the former. In fact the X-Men need to do a much better job there. It's the latter that concerns me. The X-Men are a part of mutant identity. If you take away the mutant element, what fundamentally makes them different than the Avengers or any other superhero team?

There's more than enough X-Men already. People are constantly complaining that characters don't get panel time. Why would we want to make that worse by adding even more?
    I understand your viewpoint. In fact I addressed the opposite in a separate thread concerning X-men becoming Avengers. I feel that the X-men's end goal should be gaining the respect to appear as competent/useful as the Avengers. Likewise, I think that added non-mutant members should be temporary and serve a purpose if they are to happen.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quick history lesson Black Panther Party for Self-Defense was founded to monitor police in Oakland who irony of irony had a lot of police brutality. The Black Panthers started food program and other social programs that help people end of quick history. Why mention this because if Professor X dream is to live peaceful coexist with humans how does that happen without humans being part of process. Which bring us back to Black Panthers how are Black Panther viewed today? Right or Wrong some people view BPP as racial insulated terrorist group. So how do people in the X-men world view the X-men?

Narratively Yeah the X-men should be made up of most mutants as fan you want to see cool powers and stories about mutants. Realistically X-men should have humans around that they work with and maybe couple being part of the X-men. If your goal is coexist in peace how do that by isolating yourself? On occasion it would be interesting to see Human, Inhuman or anybody else on the X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Quick history lesson Black Panther Party for Self-Defense was founded to monitor police in Oakland who irony of irony had a lot of police brutality. The Black Panthers started food program and other social programs that help people end of quick history. Why mention this because if Professor X dream is to live peaceful coexist with humans how does that happen without humans being part of process. Which bring us back to Black Panthers how are Black Panther viewed today? Right or Wrong some people view BPP as racial insulated terrorist group. So how do people in the X-men world view the X-men?

Narratively Yeah the X-men should be made up of most mutants as fan you want to see cool powers and stories about mutants. Realistically X-men should have humans around that they work with and maybe couple being part of the X-men. If your goal is coexist in peace how do that by isolating yourself? On occasion it would be interesting to see Human, Inhuman or anybody else on the X-men.
    Fair point. In the real world that makes total sense. Since Marvel is more concerned with the narrative elements, and it's actually not in their best interests for the X-Men to make significant progress toward bridging the human-mutant gap, I think it's unlikely to happen. How can you be hated and feared if you're not you know, hated and feared?

Not in MAH X-Men!!!

Keep X-Men Great

I understand - that's why I'd prefer to see any non-mutants have established ties to the X-Men. Any of the Starjammers qualify due to being introduced in the X-books and being related to some of them, plus the relationship they have long had with another of the long running X-supporting cast of the Shi'ar. The same would go for Abigail Brand - introduced in Astonishing, dating Hank for years, and secretly supporting Scott during his revolutionary phase. After all that, if she ended up on a team I wouldn't find her too out of place, even if it lasted more than an arc or two.

The same rules could easily apply to any new characters - tie them to someone who wears an X-uniform, or have them opposing a long running X-villain in one way or another, and after a while they'll mostly fit in.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Fair point. In the real world that makes total sense. Since Marvel is more concerned with the narrative elements, and it's actually not in their best interests for the X-Men to make significant progress toward bridging the human-mutant gap, I think it's unlikely to happen. How can you be hated and feared if you're not you know, hated and feared?
    "Hated and Feared".Sigh I am beginning to hate how much of bubble that puts the X-men and few things in X-men needs a break as much as "Hated and Fear". I love that X-men has become this great analogy for social issues but that is not only thing the X-men can be and there is literally nothing stopping the X-men from being "Earth's mightiest Heroes" and time and again you see writers try to make the shift in that direction but somehow X-men always get trapped back in Hate and Fear cycle I guess that is because the X-men as revolutionaries heroes is the X-men concept at its best and deepest.

With that out of the way let's move on narrative/story wise the X-men have a flaw living a mansion is boring and isolate the X-men and they never have work with people or develop skills to live among humans. Let me give a you X-men Pitch inspired Age of X-man utopia the X-men are determined to make a world where a humans and mutants coexist. With that in mind X-men form a plan to integrate into Westchester county.

-What is the grand plan creative wise the X-men would have a whole town/city of mutant and humans that is their primary location. Basically what if District X was right around where the X-men lived

- The X-men will still be the X-men fighting bad guys and doing their pseudo superhero thing but many many X-men who are in limbo would be split up doing real jobs. Kitty could be the mayor, Bishop could be the sheriff, Celia Reyes could have doctor office, Madrox could be running X-factor investigations, Rictor can own a nightclub, Beast can lecture at the university. What is the point of that you would have place and things in the real world for the X-men to do. And you have setting where humans and mutants are living together and characters that you know make you care about the setting

- Other changes Xaviers school of the Gifted would be open Humans and hire a full staff some of which could be humans, The X-men(superhero group) would distance themselves from the school and would be run like competent superhero group.Meaning they would have support stuff :medics pilots,mechanics and engineers, etc some of which can be human.

Anyway the point of the this pitch is to show that X-men could easily have humans in their world.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-04-2019 at 02:51 AM.

Since they are outsiders, renegades, outcasts or are excluded from society somehow have no problems. X-men are an ideal one that fights for equality and justice need not necessarily be mutants.

Some people may also sympathize with the mutant cause and join them either heroes or ordinary people who have been helped by them.

As for heroes depends on the circumstances and the characters a good example was Carol and worked very well although inevitably one day they need to leave the team.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Either temporarily or permanently (or at least as permanently as you can be in modern comics).
    I don't like the idea at all. It's totally useless and even lame.

Thank God they gave a different suit to Moira MacTaggert in "X-Men: First Class" to hint at the fact she wasn't an X-Man.