Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

One thing I don't want to see is more awkward humor scenes. The 90s cartoon wove in humor quite effectively without having to stop the action just to get a quip in. This Looney Tunes-style of delivering humor is not Spider-Man traditionally acts and needs to be dumped.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

So I'm going to make a pitch for a CWish Live Action Show. A lot of the inspiration I take from mixing the Insomniac Game and Ultimate comics.
    • Peter is a Bio-Physics Grad Student at Empire State U.
    • As part of his program, he interns Vision Academy as a teacher. Miles is one of his students.
    • Formerly worked at the Daily Bugle as a web admin when he was an undergrad. Daily Bugle has more of a Buzzfeed-ish presence, with JJJ running his own podcast on the site.
    • Aunt May works at FEAST.
    • In a Will-They-Won't-They relationship with MJ. They were previously engaged but broke it off.
    • Flash is in the army, Harry is working at Oscorp, and Eddie was childhood friends with Pete, MJ, and Harry.
    • Otto is Faculty at ESU.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    So I'm going to make a pitch for a CWish Live Action Show. A lot of the inspiration I take from mixing the Insomniac Game and Ultimate comics.
    • As part of his program, he interns Vision Academy as a teacher. Miles is one of his students.
    • Formerly worked at the Daily Bugle as a web admin when he was an undergrad. Daily Bugle has more of a Buzzfeed-ish presence, with JJJ running his own podcast on the site.
    • In a Will-They-Won't-They relationship with MJ. They were previously engaged but broke it off.
    • Flash is in the army, Harry is working at Oscorp, and Eddie was childhood friends with Pete, MJ, and Harry.
    Love the idea of Miles being one of Peter's students...and I am kind of surprised that nobody thought about using that until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    One thing I don't want to see is more awkward humor scenes. The 90s cartoon wove in humor quite effectively without having to stop the action just to get a quip in. This Looney Tunes-style of delivering humor is not Spider-Man traditionally acts and needs to be dumped.
    That was really pretty much just in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.
    And Peter is totally played by Grant Gustin .

Animated makes more sense now, due to the budget.

I don't care if it's a Peter Parker in high school or college or grad school or a photographer/ science teacher/ scientist, but the one thing that I really want to see is a Spider-Man cartoon made for the same audience as Into the Spider-Verse or the MCU movies. I want something PG-13, where people can die, and actions have consequences episodes later.

Everything else is secondary. There's a lot of stuff that would be cool, but the main thing is to have a reasonably budgeted series that can show the stuff that happened in the comics.

It'd be interesting to see a real-time series starting with Peter when he gets the spider bite in high school, with each year of the show representing an year in his life. That could go for a decade.

It could also be cool to have a series about a Peter Parker who has been Spider-Man for a while, balancing old enemies and new challenges with a lifestyle different from the MCU. It could even have Miles as a new Spider-Man, to get the stories of discovery.

But the most important thing is to have something adults will enjoy, that kids will still seek out.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't care if it's a Peter Parker in high school or college or grad school or a photographer/ science teacher/ scientist, but the one thing that I really want to see is a Spider-Man cartoon made for the same audience as Into the Spider-Verse or the MCU movies. I want something PG-13, where people can die, and actions have consequences episodes later.

Everything else is secondary. There's a lot of stuff that would be cool, but the main thing is to have a reasonably budgeted series that can show the stuff that happened in the comics.
    I feel like this probably would've been what Spectacular developed into (certainly the consequences element was there).

Let's do Spectacular again but with all the new folks introduced since then and HERMAN AS THE SHOCKER and no furry Kraven.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Let's do Spectacular again but with all the new folks introduced since then and HERMAN AS THE SHOCKER and no furry Kraven.
    I know Weisman was interested in using Mr. Negative. Past that...I don't know. He could maybe have a injected a few BND/Big Time folks in there but they probably would be integrated fairly differently from the comics.

I like Herman, but Montana was a good Shocker .

I also didn't care for mutant Kraven, but his voice and characterization were on-point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The MTV Spider-Man actually did have that. You had character death and in some level it was more PG-13 than even the Raimi movies especially about sexuality. Since it was implied multiple times that the characters did have sex with girlfriends and so on. Like Peter with that Indira girl and Harry Osborn with his girlfriend. It had a lot of potential but it just didn't do enough with the freedom and opportunity it got. A real waste.

But it's very rare for a superhero show to go there. The DCAU by Bruce Timm...this extended superhero expansion where Batman was followed by Superman then Justice League and then the Batman Beyond show did have character death and intense stuff but only for special episodes.

In any case Spider-Man comics have not always been so violent. It was when you had Venom and Carnage, but for most of the first 300 issues it was not really full of violence unlike say Post-Crisis Batman where you have Joker with a body count in the four digits.

It'd be interesting to see a real-time series starting with Peter when he gets the spider bite in high school, with each year of the show representing an year in his life. That could go for a decade.
    On account of what is called the "Fleeting Demographic Rule" it's hard to convince networks and producers to do that. If a cartoon show is made for kids then it's for a particular age bracket...say 10-12, and in three years time that audience will grow up, and it will be hard to get the next group of 10-12 years involved. The DCAU was the only time that worked and it was because Warner Bros supported Bruce Timm and his crew and he kept coming up with new shows and ideas in the same continuity and the end result was you saw Batman from childhood and teenage years to old age.

But the most important thing is to have something adults will enjoy, that kids will still seek out.
    Absolutely. Spider-Man and Marvel in general have never made Animated Shows as good as what DC/WB did. The closest are Spectacular Spider-Man and Xmen Evolution

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And Peter is totally played by Grant Gustin .
    He definitely would be a perfect Peter Parker. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Love the idea of Miles being one of Peter's students...and I am kind of surprised that nobody thought about using that until now.
    It's something I've always thought about to, should there ever be a "reboot" of the comics; how to better integrate Miles and his cast into the mythos without all that Secret Wars baggage lol

Peter as a teacher was always an occupation that I like and I figure him being an instructor through his Graduate Program would be a healthy middle ground with having him in that type of Profession while also keeping him on the younger side.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 02-04-2019 at 04:57 PM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Absolutely. Spider-Man and Marvel in general have never made Animated Shows as good as what DC/WB did. The closest are Spectacular Spider-Man and Xmen Evolution
    Don't forget about Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes .

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

The MTV Spider-Man actually did have that. You had character death and in some level it was more PG-13 than even the Raimi movies especially about sexuality. Since it was implied multiple times that the characters did have sex with girlfriends and so on. Like Peter with that Indira girl and Harry Osborn with his girlfriend. It had a lot of potential but it just didn't do enough with the freedom and opportunity it got. A real waste.

But it's very rare for a superhero show to go there. The DCAU by Bruce Timm...this extended superhero expansion where Batman was followed by Superman then Justice League and then the Batman Beyond show did have character death and intense stuff but only for special episodes.

In any case Spider-Man comics have not always been so violent. It was when you had Venom and Carnage, but for most of the first 300 issues it was not really full of violence unlike say Post-Crisis Batman where you have Joker with a body count in the four digits.

On account of what is called the "Fleeting Demographic Rule" it's hard to convince networks and producers to do that. If a cartoon show is made for kids then it's for a particular age bracket...say 10-12, and in three years time that audience will grow up, and it will be hard to get the next group of 10-12 years involved. The DCAU was the only time that worked and it was because Warner Bros supported Bruce Timm and his crew and he kept coming up with new shows and ideas in the same continuity and the end result was you saw Batman from childhood and teenage years to old age.

Don't forget Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, at least before the Man of Action Studios takeover, and currently Avengers: Black Panther's Quest (technically the fifth season of Avengers Assemble, but according to the showrunner, it's essentially its own thing and not necessarily directly connected to the first four seasons).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Don't forget about Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes .
    In general I am not a fan of the Avengers so I didn't care for that. And to me after the Justice League cartoon, I find it hard to get invested in another mega super-hero team up like that. I think an Avengers cartoon should be like the original comic was for the 60s to the 80s...roster keeps changing all the time, multiple characters come and go, team leaders are never stable and static. High turnovers and so on. Since New Avengers the attempt is to make the Avengers into Justice League...and that kind of diminishes the quirky quality that the Avengers once had.

I didn't like the art-style...and for me the art-style and look of animation is a big part of why I like cartoons. Not saying it needs to look perfect or Pixar quality or anything unrealistic for a TV budget...it's just that if I don't like the look of a show, I find it hard to get involved.

I always disliked the Fox Spider-Man. It is a classic show for many people who grew up with it, and I accept that, but I didn't like the look of it, nor the X-Men cartoons. It was trying for some kind of realism and the drawings and cels were all overlit and garish. Spectacular Spider-Man had something more angular and kind of anime-looking look, where the characters have slightly big eyes (albeit not as much as anime) and they kind of look like chibis. The MTV Spider-Man went for a mix of classic and ultimate, but the 3D wasn't well done. The MTV look of Peter is very John Romita inspired and it anticipates the render of Peter in Spider-Man PS4.

The X-Men Evolution art style was good. Colors were muted without being all Bryan Singer. Character models and looks were all individualized, and it looked good against Batman Beyond (also a high-school set superhero show). Much better than the Fox X-Men cartoon which again is this classic show that means a lot to people. It has a good grounded look and feel without going to Ultimate...and of course it introduced X23, the character who became Laura in the LOGAN movie.

It's something I've always thought about to, should there ever be a "reboot" of the comics; how to better integrate Miles and his cast into the mythos without all that Secret Wars baggage lol

Peter as a teacher was always an occupation that I like and I figure him being an instructor through his Graduate Program would be a healthy middle ground with having him in that type of Profession while also keeping him on the younger side.
    And of course if you have Peter doing multiple jobs. Teaching Miles as a side-job, taking photos or other stuff for the Bugle as a side-job, working for ESU faculty, his romantic life, Aunt May and being pulled different ways at once you can do the diverse supporting cast, you can do different set-ups, you can do the complete mosaic of Peter's world.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 02-04-2019 at 05:13 PM. Reason: change

Astonishing Member

One that captures the spirit of the Lee/Ditko run, built on the same premises.

Scrape off the barnacles - no other Spider-Men or Spider-Women, no SHIELD, no Avengers, no inter-dimensional travel, no magic, no space adventures, no clones. The focus should always be Peter and his life, his struggles, his world - and everything else must be a cohesive part of that world. Peter's secret identity is a secret, a burden he bears alone. The conflict between his responsibilities as Peter Parker and his responsibilities as Spider-Man should always be the core that every story is built around.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    One that captures the spirit of the Lee/Ditko run, built on the same premises.

Scrape off the barnacles - no other Spider-Men or Spider-Women, no SHIELD, no Avengers, no inter-dimensional travel, no magic, no space adventures, no clones. The focus should always be Peter and his life, his struggles, his world - and everything else must be a cohesive part of that world. Peter's secret identity is a secret, a burden he bears alone. The conflict between his responsibilities as Peter Parker and his responsibilities as Spider-Man should always be the core that every story is built around.
    We got that in Spectacular Spider-Man. No others Spiders, no other Marvel heroes, no inter-dimensional travel, magic, space, clones. Nobody aside from Brock/Venom knows Peter's identity.

Also set in high school just like the first 28 issues of the L-D Era. And the MTV Spider-Man before that was also quite grounded even if it was less consistent.