View Poll Results: Sins Past vs. One More Day. What's worse?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sins Past

28 43.08%
  • One More Day

37 56.92%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Depends on the fans. I remember reading an article from a 1980s magazine suggesting the International X-Men took a wrong turn with all the stories about the X-Men wandering into situations rather than taking a more proactive stand.
    Heh, similar criticism in regards to that was aimed at Doctor Who by the creative team that took over in 1987, hence the Sylvester McCoy era is more about a supreme master manipulator

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Beast didn't have a few... good years after OMD.
    How so? What was the cause and effect?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Since you were the one who brought up X-Men...let me return to one irrefutable example of the original question, how did OMD ruin the Marvel Universe?

In Triumph and Torment, Marvel's greatest villain, tyrant and dictator Dr. Doom marched into hell and freed the soul of his mother from the clutches of Mephisto. In One More Day, Spider-Man, Marvel's greatest hero (or formerly in this case), caved into Mephisto and hot humiliated for a chump deal and became morally and spiritually compromised.

In the Marvel Universe, Doctor Doom has the moral high ground and truer spirit than Spider-Man himself.

Have you read the last 10+ years of X-Men comics?

Astonishing Member

How does that relate to One More Day?

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Since you were the one who brought up X-Men in what seems like another bad-faith attempt on your part to provoke other commenters without offering a viewpoint of your own...let me return to one irrefutable example of the original question, how did OMD ruin the Marvel Universe?

In Triumph and Torment, Marvel's greatest villain, tyrant and dictator Dr. Doom marched into hell and freed the soul of his mother from the clutches of Mephisto. In One More Day, Spider-Man, Marvel's greatest hero (or formerly in this case), caved into Mephisto and hot humiliated for a chump deal and became morally and spiritually compromised.

In the Marvel Universe, Doctor Doom has the moral high ground and truer spirit than Spider-Man himself.
    Dr. Doom outsmarted Mephisto and Spider-Man didn't. How did this damage X-Men? Star-Lord? Namor? Squirrel Girl?
    Last edited by Lee; 02-09-2019 at 02:00 PM.

To be fair, I think that's moreso to do about him bringing the young X-Men and the past and everything he was doing with the Illuminati and the incursions.

How does that relate to One More Day?
    In Marvel continuity, everything counts.

So, did Beast just forget Elixir existed? Or did he not want to send Elixir to help Aunt May because "**** Spider-Man"? Answer the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    To be fair, I think that's moreso to do about him bringing the young X-Men and the past and everything he was doing with the Illuminati and the incursions.
    We need Kitty Pryde screaming "Hank McCoy is a jerk" don't we?

Astonishing Member

So, did Beast just forget Elixir existed? Or did he not want to send Elixir to help Aunt May because "**** Spider-Man"?
    Hell if I know. Maybe he was on a mission at the time. I don't think this damaged the entire Marvel universe and its thousands of characters.

Hell if I know. Maybe he was on a mission at the time. I don't think this damaged the entire Marvel universe and its thousands of characters.
    Bad stories damage Marvel. And OMD was a very bad story.

Mighty Member

This is mostly true, but I'd amend it to "Bad stories that aren't allowed to die damage Marvel" - Sins Past has never been referenced since, and in 10 years, the entire premise of a poll like this will seem absurd (one notes the retcon of The Gift, which is patently absurd on its face and was also part of a tease about Peter trying to locate his presumed dead daughter, is barely mentioned anymore when one brings up bad SM stories).

OMD, of course, has no chance of dying. It doesn't help that Marvel keeps pretending Mephisto and Peter have some sort of important connection (c.f. Scarlet Spider's last arc), but their only way out of it was either to Superboy punch it away or just let MJ and Pete get back together and never reference OMD again.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    This is mostly true, but I'd amend it to "Bad stories that aren't allowed to die damage Marvel" - Sins Past has never been referenced since, and in 10 years, the entire premise of asoon or it poll like this will seem absurd
    If Sins' Past is discussed more than 10 years after its publication, the odds are that it won't be forgotten for another ten. A bad story that is forgotten happens soon or it doesn't happen at all.

(one notes the retcon of The Gift, which is patently absurd on its face and was also part of a tease about Peter trying to locate his presumed dead daughter, is barely mentioned anymore when one brings up bad SM stories).
    The Clone Saga is still on the list of bad stories and the Post-Clone Saga era is considered a low point that JMS brought it out from (at least until Sins' past lost him a lot of good will).

OMD, of course, has no chance of dying. It doesn't help that Marvel keeps pretending Mephisto and Peter have some sort of important connection (c.f. Scarlet Spider's last arc), but their only way out of it was either to Superboy punch it away or just let MJ and Pete get back together and never reference OMD again.
    That's the major cognitive dissonance. Tom Brevoort kept going on about how OMD and stuff will never be mentioned again but you see nothing but Mephisto references all the damn times, side-jokes and pot-shots as in Charles Soule's Daredevil.

It also ruins Spider-Man's stories and compromised him morally. I said it before in the Post-OMD marvel universe, Dr. Doom has moral high ground over Peter.

While OMD was poor storytelling I agree with you that such a claim is frankly ridiculous and should be treated with extreme skepticism.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-09-2019 at 07:24 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

i got measles the other day reading a marvel comic. totally OMD’s fault
    troo fan or death

My headphones detached today and I had to tape it back together. Damn you, Mephisto!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

You said OMD threw the entire Marvel Universe under a bus, but Sins Past didn't.

If all it takes to damage the entire Marvel Universe is a bad story, then One More Day is just one of hundreds of bad stories they've published over the decades. I still don't understand how a bad Daredevil vs Kingpin story could damage Galactus, or how One More Day could damage Rocket Raccoon. What impact has it had on the stories and characterization of Rocket? Do all Rocket Raccoon fans feel this way, that as part of the Marvel Universe, he was thrown under the bus by One More Day?