View Poll Results: Sins Past vs. One More Day. What's worse?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sins Past

28 43.08%
  • One More Day

37 56.92%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I accidentally deleted one of my best fanedits today. F OMD.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    You said OMD threw the entire Marvel Universe under a bus, but Sins Past didn't.

If all it takes to damage the entire Marvel Universe is a bad story, then One More Day is just one of hundreds of bad stories they've published over the decades. I still don't understand how a bad Daredevil vs Kingpin story could damage Galactus, or how One More Day could damage Rocket Raccoon. What impact has it had on the stories and characterization of Rocket? Do all Rocket Raccoon fans feel this way, that as part of the Marvel Universe, he was thrown under the bus by One More Day?
    Do you actually want me to mention what heroes and villains are shown when Dr. Strange magically transports Spider-Man to ask for help for Aunt May? Would you rather I write them all down? Because it seems you would rather dismiss that scene completely. But that scene is the crux of the second issue. The crux of 25% of the story. And set-up for the story's actual ending.

No, Rocket doesn't appear in that scene, but he would have been just as useless as Dr. Doom (who did appear) was if he did. Because it's meant to set up how desperate Peter is when Mephisto does appear later on. We get no explanation for why anyone can't do anything for May (with only Hank Pym getting something of a explanation when it was later revealed he had been replaced by a Skrull at the time and even that connection has never been made by Marvel and is as close as you will see to me "No-Prize" explaining something away from OMD). And, quite frankly, the story itself would have been better served if that second issue did not exist (if Dr. Strange was not home and could not help Peter ask for help).

If you can say that about a story, maybe you can admit that a story that devotes 25% of its content to making all these characters looking useless and pathetic just so Peter is desperate enough to make the deal, maybe you've got a really bad story on your hands. Just a thought. (Not the worst story Marvel has ever published, but it's definitely up there.)
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 02-10-2019 at 07:59 AM.

I stubbed my toe today, damn you OMD!
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I stubbed my toe today, damn you OMD!
    Man, I haven't heard these kinds of jokes since Flash Rebirth said Thawne was responsible for every bad thing that ever happened in Barry's life (like the time he fell down some stairs as a kid).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Do you actually want me to mention what heroes and villains are shown when Dr. Strange magically transports Spider-Man to ask for help for Aunt May?
    Was it the entire Marvel Universe?

Enough of it to break the story in half, yes.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Did you even read One More Day?

mephisto sent the dingo who got my baby
    troo fan or death

iMan 42s

Yeah, I can understand it affecting the wider Marvel Universe.

In the context of the story for anyone not in the know, Spider-man went across time and space and asked everyone on how to save Aunt May, he got nowhere. In the Marvel Universe, everyone didn't have answer on how to fix Aunt May, or told Peter to shove it. And ultimately this situation just looks worse and worse when you introduce new characters who could've cured May or reveal that a character damn well could have.

Beast, Reed Richards, Doctor Doom, Tony Stark, Hank Pym (although a Skrull), could not figure out how to save Aunt May. That's also among virtually everyone else in the Marvel Universe whom Spider-man had to plead with.

So yeah, it not only made Spider-man look bad, it also made everyone look bad because nobody in the MARVEL UNIVERSE are capable of healing a bullet wound. Apparently nobody could figure that out with advanced magics, time machines, or medical science. They all had no idea, or told Peter to go away.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

OMD caused Climate Change, CO2 yeah right....
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I think one of the reasons why I enjoyed Sins Past was because I was never really attached to Gwen as a character. Having said that, I can totally understand how something like would taint the character for many. Since I'm an Osborn fan, knowing he slept with and impregnated the girlfriend of his #1 enemy made him much more of a dreadful person in my eyes. Killing Gwen was bad enough, but retroactively applying Sins Past to it makes it sting even more.

One More Day was more like a "whatever" story to me. I didn't dislike it, but I didn't really care for it, either. Both stories are pretty controversial in Spidey's history.

Apparently because we didn't see Spider-Man with literally every character Marvel owns the publishing rights to that means the scene of characters like Doctor Doom and Beast and Black Panther who couldn't help Spider-Man doesn't mean anything at all and the argument is totally invalid.

(Did I get that right?)

not sure if everyone is being willfully stubborn for the fun of it. don't let me ruin the lols.

within the scope of the story, insofar as it tried to involve character from the rest of the mu, yeah it matters.

does it matter outside of the story? as in the integrity of the MU? that's up to individual choice and circumstance. for the majority of current readers, it's probably a no.

btw, mephisto made my toilet paper run out
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Apparently because we didn't see Spider-Man with literally every character Marvel owns the publishing rights to that means the scene of characters like Doctor Doom and Beast and Black Panther who couldn't help Spider-Man doesn't mean anything at all and the argument is totally invalid.

(Did I get that right?)
    The scene was clearly meant to suggest that no one in the Marvel U can help Aunt May. I remember making this argument against someone who hated OMD who was saying that Marvel should've explained why Elixir of the X-Men couldn't help.

Though one question that has never been answered is what specifically people in the Marvel Universe should have been able to do to help Aunt May get out of a coma. To be clear, "healing" is not specific. "Building new bones" or "repairing torn arteries" is specific.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The scene was clearly meant to suggest that no one in the Marvel U can help Aunt May.
    This is literally the point I am trying to make, and people are giving me grief because we don't specifically see every character in Marvel's publishing line-up.

I remember making this argument against someone who hated OMD who was saying that Marvel should've explained why Elixir of the X-Men couldn't help.

Though one question that has never been answered is what specifically people in the Marvel Universe should have been able to do to help Aunt May get out of a coma. To be clear, "healing" is not specific. "Building new bones" or "repairing torn arteries" is specific.
    So, wait, your defense of this terrible storytelling is to try to inject more reality into it? That... doesn't make a whole lot of sense, actually.

(Also, Marvel themselves didn't decide on the mechanics of OMD until well after the fact. So I find it amusing to see someone trying to hold message board posters to a higher standard than Marvel held themselves at the time.)