View Poll Results: Sins Past vs. One More Day. What's worse?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sins Past

28 43.08%
  • One More Day

37 56.92%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    T...So, wait, your defense of this terrible storytelling is to try to inject more reality into it? That... doesn't make a whole lot of sense, actually.

(Also, Marvel themselves didn't decide on the mechanics of OMD until well after the fact. So I find it amusing to see someone trying to hold message board posters to a higher standard than Marvel held themselves at the time.)
    Delete this post (I fell into the trap of arguing about OMD again, which I want to avoid at all costs)
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-10-2019 at 10:50 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

The same kind of thought process that gave birth to The Night Gwen Stacy Died also gave us One More Day. So, you know, maybe "motive/mandate" ain't all it's cracked up to be...
    Sure, I'm not saying motive/mandate excuses bad storytelling - but at least you can understand the reasoning of going from A to B, which I feel is at least a rung above bad storytelling that happens for no perceived rhyme or reason.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Sure, I'm not saying motive/mandate excuses bad storytelling - but at least you can understand the reasoning of going from A to B, which I feel is at least a rung above bad storytelling that happens for no perceived rhyme or reason.
    Different strokes for different folks. A lot of people would argue that a bad story that ended up having a huge impact on continuity makes it worse than a bad story that ended up having minimal impact on continuity.

Astonishing Member

Did you even read One More Day?
    I did. Only a handful of Marvel's thousands of characters appeared in it. I never got the impression that it threw Silver Surfer under the bus.

Apparently because we didn't see Spider-Man with literally every character Marvel owns the publishing rights to that means the scene of characters like Doctor Doom and Beast and Black Panther who couldn't help Spider-Man doesn't mean anything at all and the argument is totally invalid.

(Did I get that right?)
    You said it threw the entire Marvel Universe under the bus. Is the Kangaroo undermined as a character because he didn't show up to save Aunt May?
    Last edited by Lee; 02-11-2019 at 12:18 PM.

BANNED

Not since Gregory's Girl have goalposts been so moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I did. Only a handful of Marvel's thousands of characters appeared in it. I never got the impression that it threw Silver Surfer under the bus.

You said it threw the entire Marvel Universe under the bus. Is the Kangaroo undermined as a character because he didn't show up to save Aunt May?
    One of our resident mods, who has defended OMD on many occasions, stated in this thread that this very argument you are trying to make does not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The scene was clearly meant to suggest that no one in the Marvel U can help Aunt May. I remember making this argument against someone who hated OMD who was saying that Marvel should've explained why Elixir of the X-Men couldn't help.

Though one question that has never been answered is what specifically people in the Marvel Universe should have been able to do to help Aunt May get out of a coma. To be clear, "healing" is not specific. "Building new bones" or "repairing torn arteries" is specific.
    So your attempt to destroy my argument because not every character that Marvel owns the rights to appears in the story isn't really working out. Do you want to continue making this argument? Or are you ready to concede this point?

Astonishing Member

Peter wasn’t able to find anyone who could save Aunt May.

How does this throw the entire Marvel universe under the bus? Does it damage the integrity of Boomerang? Does it ruin the Savage Land? Is the concept of adamantium diminished because of it?

BANNED

Peter wasn’t able to find anyone who could save Aunt May.

How does this throw the entire Marvel universe under the bus? Does it damage the integrity of Boomerang? Does it ruin the Savage Land? Is the concept of adamantium diminished because of it?
    CBR, he's really banking his entire argument on "we don't actually see every character that Marvel owns, so you can't say it makes the Marvel Universe look bad.."

I can't...

BANNED

(Oh no, I used DC characters as a reference point! )
    Could have just used something spidey-related, there's plenty of fish in the meme sea

(edit)
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-12-2019 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Could have just used this

(Edited out of respect.)
    Well, now I took it out, but this would have worked better. (And maybe gotten me a warning or banned, lol.)
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 02-12-2019 at 07:48 AM.

BANNED

Well, now I took it out, but this would have worked better. (And maybe gotten me a warning or banned, lol.)
    Eeep, good point. Removed. Let's try to be civil.

This conversation has gone to a very weird place, so I'm going to just post this picture as my interpretation of where things currently stand with the Marvel Universe because of OMD:

Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

CBR, he's really banking his entire argument on "we don't actually see every character that Marvel owns, so you can't say it makes the Marvel Universe look bad.."
    You didn't just say it made the Marvel Universe look bad. You said it threw the entire Marvel Universe under the bus. Boomerang, the Savage Land and adamantium are all long established parts of the Marvel Universe.

If the story threw the entire Marvel Universe under the bus, then Boomerang, the Savage Land and adamantium got thrown under the bus.

You didn't just say it made the Marvel Universe look bad. You said it threw the entire Marvel Universe under the bus. Boomerang, the Savage Land and adamantium are all long established parts of the Marvel Universe.

If the story threw the entire Marvel Universe under the bus, then Boomerang, the Savage Land and adamantium got thrown under the bus.
    This is really just sad. You have no argument so you cling to this literalness in a vain attempt to discredit me. There is a reason nobody has rushed in to help you with your "point." And if you can't see why that is, maybe you should stop and think about it. You might realize what you're doing wrong. If not, this discussion is done.