Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    How did you fit in Deva?
    Still working on her (as well as Genocide.) I liked the idea of Devastation when she originally appeared, but, so far, I’ve never thought she’s lived up to her creative potential. So, I’ve had a lack of affinity for her, but that’s being challenged by my work on my Wonder “Bible.”

I have a couple of ideas for her that I’ve played around with, but they haven’t “clicked” yet, unlike some other Wonder concepts and (existing and new) characters I’m developing to make it all work.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Still working on her (as well as Genocide.) I liked the idea of Devastation when she originally appeared, but, so far, I’ve never thought she’s lived up to her creative potential. So, I’ve had a lack of affinity for her, but that’s being challenged by my work on my Wonder “Bible.”

I have a couple of ideas for her that I’ve played around with, but they haven’t “clicked” yet, unlike some other Wonder concepts and (existing and new) characters I’m developing to make it all work.
    The idea I had is loosely defined, but assumes that Deva faked her death when WW thought she killed her on Paradise Island, then just ran off and hid in the shadows while she tried to decide what to do. Also, this version sometimes sarcastically calls WW mother when addressing her in person.

The idea I had is loosely defined, but assumes that Deva faked her death when WW thought she killed her on Paradise Island, then just ran off and hid in the shadows while she tried to decide what to do. Also, this version sometimes sarcastically calls WW mother when addressing her in person.
    Interesting idea... I’ve been batting around her child/adult duality in my mind, trying to see if there’s something interesting there. One thing for sure is I don’t prefer her character in the Young Justice animated series... she’s kind of just generic supervillain muscle there.

I wanted to use Sirrica from the Azzarello/Chiang run. She forms a friendship with Damian/Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Interesting idea... I’ve been batting around her child/adult duality in my mind, trying to see if there’s something interesting there. One thing for sure is I don’t prefer her character in the Young Justice animated series... she’s kind of just generic supervillain muscle there.
    Yeah, that's my biggest gripe with YJ is they don't seem to get the villains right sometimes. Their version of Livewire is kinda pathetic. :/ Seriously, the idea that she can't absorb Black Lightning's power made sense... no other part of that fight made sense. Leslie Willis has superhuman senses and superhuman reflexes. She can sense where you are by your bio-electric field or comms device(seriously, she has an actual superpower for being able to hear/broadcast radiowaves, if they're encrypted that just means she doesn't know what you're saying), and is so fast she can give speedsters a run for their money. The only way it makes sense is if she let him grab her because she didn't think he was threat. Also her team seemed to know the team was coming so maybe that was Leslie hearing their futile attempt at stealth.

I was hoping that Deva'd show up again with a more sleek look, but no.

My idea was to use a variant of her original look. In that, she looked like a teenager. And this was the "I'm not sure whether she's legal" sort of way where she doesn't quite look old enough to be a grown adult, but you're not quite sure.
    Last edited by marhawkman; 02-22-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Yeah, that's my biggest gripe with YJ is they don't seem to get the villains right sometimes. Their version of Livewire is kinda pathetic. :/ Seriously, the idea that she can't absorb Black Lightning's power made sense... no other part of that fight made sense. Leslie Willis has superhuman senses and superhuman reflexes. She can sense where you are by your bio-electric field or comms device(seriously, she has an actual superpower for being able to hear/broadcast radiowaves, if they're encrypted that just means she doesn't know what you're saying), and is so fast she can give speedsters a run for their money. The only way it makes sense is if she let him grab her because she didn't think he was threat. Also her team seemed to know the team was coming so maybe that was Leslie hearing their futile attempt at stealth.

I was hoping that Deva'd show up again with a more sleek look, but no.

My idea was to use a variant of her original look. In that, she looked like a teenager. And this was the "I'm not sure whether she's legal" sort of way where she doesn't quite look old enough to be a grown adult, but you're not quite sure.
    It was a great Black Lightning moment, but, yeah, it made no sense.

I think I came up with my Devastation solution this week, and it doesn't change her origin too much.

Also, her crown of thorns has always interested me in the pain it must cause and its symbology.

IMG_0474.JPG

Anyway, moving on to Genocide now.

Well the symbolism of the crown of thorns is that she felt that she wasn't free to choose her own path in life. It's an old Celtic thing that people would get a tattoo of a thorny vine wrapped around part of their body as a symbol of their servitude to another. Deva was more of a servant of the Children of Cronus than a member.

So I thought I'd write down the main characteristics of the Wonder Family and how they relate to their homes.

Diana - A Themysciran born and raised who longs to open up relations between Themyscira and the rest of the world.

Nubia - In my story, Nubia was presumed dead for a while following a war the Themyscirans fought against an invading army from another realm. Nubia was captured and brainwahsed before being freed by her sisters. Nubia's character discusses PTSD and reintegrating back into society.

Donna - My version of Donna would be from the Phillipines instead of the US but would still have the origin of her parents dying in a fire and her being adopted by the Amazons. She is very much a child of two worlds and tries to balance her Amazon and Filipino heritages.

Artemis - The more pragmatic of the group and the one who often keeps them grounded.

Akila - As a sorcerer and scientist, Akila is ver looking for more knowledge but tries to retain her ethics.

Cassie - The newcomer to the Amazon world and surrogate little sister to Donna.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So I thought I'd write down the main characteristics of the Wonder Family and how they relate to their homes.

Diana - A Themysciran born and raised who longs to open up relations between Themyscira and the rest of the world.

Nubia - In my story, Nubia was presumed dead for a while following a war the Themyscirans fought against an invading army from another realm. Nubia was captured and brainwahsed before being freed by her sisters. Nubia's character discusses PTSD and reintegrating back into society.

Donna - My version of Donna would be from the Phillipines instead of the US but would still have the origin of her parents dying in a fire and her being adopted by the Amazons. She is very much a child of two worlds and tries to balance her Amazon and Filipino heritages.

Artemis - The more pragmatic of the group and the one who often keeps them grounded.

Akila - As a sorcerer and scientist, Akila is ver looking for more knowledge but tries to retain her ethics.

Cassie - The newcomer to the Amazon world and surrogate little sister to Donna.
    Interesting takes... my idea for Nu’Bia is similar in that she’s gone from the Amazons for a long time and has to reintegrate into Amazon society which has changed during her absence. A situation for either of us that isn’t too far off from her original origin, being abducted and “lost” to the Amazons.

I like the Troia version of Donna was best. Her upbringing as a human isn't the important part, but it establishes why she doesn't act like deity and uses the powers of a deity as a human.