Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Post Age of X-Man Speculation Thread

I thought I'd start this since it has been a popular topic of discussion in multiple threads. Now that Age of X-Man has started, we know the situation, how it got to this point, and what kind of world the X-men are living in now. Like Age of X and Age of Apocalypse before it, it's bound to have an impact outside the AU. It's just a matter of what that impact will be. I think that's worth speculating on because we've heard multiple writers say that this event will have an impact in the mainline Marvel universe. We don't know the details, but I think it makes sense. The team has been so divided since the events of Death of X and the Inhumans/X-men war. Something like this could act as a major catalyst to reshuffle the teams and set up a new status quo.

So what do you think the impact of Age of X-Man will be? How far will it go? Will it result in any retcons?

I have my share of theories. I'm almost always wrong, though. I am not Rich Johnson and I don't have any information beyond the books I purchase. But based on what I read in Age of X-Man Alpha, I think the clues are there. I believe that the impact will affect multiple characters and lead to some significant upheavals within the team, some more than others. And I believe the biggest impact will have to do with the memories of certain characters.

We saw in Age of X-Man Alpha how Nate Grey controls the minds of everyone living in his world. He doesn't just change memories or make people forget about certain events. He actually erases them from history. He did that with Bishop after he got caught having a relationship with Jean Grey. I suspect there will be other instances like this as the story unfolds. Eventually, characters can no longer trust their memories or their understanding of historical events. It'll get to a point where they can't trust anything Nate Grey says about anything. It could, if it gets bad enough, drive some characters mad.

I think that will be the biggest aftermath of the story. When the characters return to the mainline universe, their memories may be fragmented. They may not entirely know who they are or remember the major events in their lives. They won't know who to trust or which memories of theirs are false. It could lead to some characters going down a darker path while requiring others to reconnect with parts of their story that they've been avoiding. I think it could make for great drama. I also think I'm most likely wrong about this, but this is just my theory.

I'm sure there are plenty of people with their own theories. I look forward to seeing them.
    Last edited by MarvelMaster616; 02-04-2019 at 08:47 AM.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Extraordinary Member

I think it's funny that there's a chance that Wolverine, Cyclops, and the New Mutants will come out of this less fucked up. They'll have dealt with some of their demons, got over some of their problems, and come out of this feeling like they can take on the world!

And everyone else feels like shit for coming from what was basically heaven back into the real world.

Also, I'm sort of interested to see where this leaves Apocalypse. Is he going to use this as more rationale for his normal activities? Is he going to go good for a bit? Is he going to try and corrupt Kitty and Evan?

I think we’ll end up with two X-men team books, Uncanny and something else (probably just X-men). Uncanny will have Jean and Storm, and the other will have Scott and Logan, just like in the 90s. The rest of the teams will be different, but it will have that same old early 90s Blue/Gold split without calling them Blue and Gold.

That’s my prediction anyway.

If Nate dont say No More Mutants will already be a good thing.

We've been waiting for a new status quo for a long time but all we got are old plots with new clothes. Personally I would be very happy if I was mistaken.

The end of Age of X-man is a good opportunity to make some changes and I would like the X-men to take advantage of this time to analyze their mistakes or success and all the journey they have had until today or how to work with Xavier's dream of one different way. After all they have failed with their legacy, friends and humanity and they need to evaluate this and their relationships with each other rather than trying to hide or ignore the skeletons in the closet.

Some characters will return to the status quo and others will leave the comfort zone (probably because of the memories in Age of X-man).

BANNED

possible resolutions/fate of X-MAN
    Jean grey invokes the phoenix which swoops in and clutches him and burns down his reality or whatever it is. then he will be his Majesty the phoenix queens guest in the white room.
    Legion to the rescue. this time it is he who will restore reality and in the process gets rid of all his persona problems.
    Cyclops and wolverine lead a rescue mission and wolverine keeps trying to stab him and Cyclops keeps trying to get through to him by talking with him. ultimately blindfold removes her fold and uses the penance stare of future perfect sense to unravel the false reality and restore everyone to their proper reality.
    It's a X-MAN world baby we just live in it!!!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    possible resolutions/fate of X-MAN
    Jean grey invokes the phoenix which swoops in and clutches him and burns down his reality or whatever it is. then he will be his Majesty the phoenix queens guest in the white room.
    Legion to the rescue. this time it is he who will restore reality and in the process gets rid of all his persona problems.
    Cyclops and wolverine lead a rescue mission and wolverine keeps trying to stab him and Cyclops keeps trying to get through to him by talking with him. ultimately blindfold removes her fold and uses the penance stare of future perfect sense to unravel the false reality and restore everyone to their proper reality.
    It's a X-MAN world baby we just live in it!!!!!!
    I would be fine with Ruth fixing everything and saving her man.

Spectacular Member

Nate will be turned into a child, giving Scott and Jean a chance of raising him correctly and not abandoning him.

Quote Originally Posted by greyspawn View Post
    Nate will be turned into a child, giving Scott and Jean a chance of raising him correctly and not abandoning him.
    I really can't imagine JDW greenlighting that.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

When did they abandon him? Nate Grey is a test tube baby (like those grown in the lead-in to this event). The AOA counterparts never realized who he was or that their dna was used to create him. I think you're confusing Nate Grey and lil' Cable.

BANNED

Turning the villain into a child or a making their mind child-like is actually an easy cop-out so the hero can avoid winning by killing. Having the villain destroyed by their own powers comes after.

On the main topic, it's hard to say. Aside from Jean & Bishop's relationship, we don't know how far the X-Office will go in preserving AoXM developments in the main universe. Maybe an Excalibur book so Kurt can be at odds with Brian because of Meggan? A Schism between the students and the veterans, with some of the senior members splitting and joining the teens so they can provide some guidance while letting them do their thing? Blob joining an X-Team so he can be worthy of Betsy's love? There's a world of possibilities.

I think we're going to see a united, main, X-Men team with all the big guns back on it (Scott, Logan, Jean, Ororo, etc.) in Uncanny.

Spectacular Member

Jean just said in the story they had abandoned him. She agreed with him.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    When did they abandon him? Nate Grey is a test tube baby (like those grown in the lead-in to this event). The AOA counterparts never realized who he was or that their dna was used to create him. I think you're confusing Nate Grey and lil' Cable.
    By making Nate a child then they can make people happy and age Cable back to and older state.

Odds are AoX will end with ether Nate sub-coming to his illness or getting redeemed. Odds are the former and with young cable around, there's no point in having two young nates despite how different they are.

Odds are Rosenberg will get the flagship, Brisson will get an auxillary title, Thompson will stay on Rogue/Gambit, and here's hoping Leah gets her Emma book.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Jean just said in the story they had abandoned him. She agreed with him.
    As an adult. Like when he was an X-Man/New Mutant member. Not as a child, since he was born a teenager/young adult.

By making Nate a child then they can make people happy and age Cable back to and older state.
    It's an option, but I don't think it's something the editors would be interested in. The X-Men don't have children for a reason, aka the writers don't like them as they age characters and lessen their drama. Having a teenager or young adult version, sure. Happens all the time.