Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which villian would be great in the next Superman movie?

Its hard to believe that in 6 Superman feature films, that Lex Luthor has been the villain in 4 of them. Such a bummer they never used any of the several Superman rogues.

Which villain have you always thought would be great in the next Superman movie, whenever that might be!?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Brainiac, obviously.

There's a lot of good choices, and whether this or that villain is a good call really depends on what the movie is about otherwise.

My idea is a movie about Kal and Lois meeting a young Kara, and teaching her about Earth while she opens his eyes to the beauty of a Krypton that he was forced to somewhat write off as a disaster. Jor-El is a radical thinker though, and he saw Krypton's flaws more clearly than most. Through Kara, Kal can learn to appreciate the more wondrous aspects of his homeworld, and though Kal, she can acclimate to Earth and to the more open, guildless world Jor-El envisioned.

Given a story like that, I think Faora Hu-Ul (and maybe a supporter or two) would be a good villain. Faora's aggressive amorality and fascism regarding Krypton would serve as a strong counterpoint to Kal's aggressive compassion and ambivalence for Krypton, as well as a midpoint to Kara, who loves Krypton in a less Nationalistic way but who is also very compassionate. Also, if they went into the Phantom Zone, maybe Superman could save Doctor Hamilton or Colonel Hardy. Heck, maybe that's where Kal runs into Kara.

Alternately, if we don't want to go in for that, there's always the commonly overlooked options. For example, maybe after Steppenwolf's failed attempt to conquer Earth, Apokolips tries a more subtle approach - destabilizing Earth by arming its criminals, perhaps? Treat defeating Intergang as a fairly straight forward crime drama.

Also, I'd like to see Skyhook, maybe not as THE villain, but as A villain. Why? I just like Skyhook, that's why, haha!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'll accept virtually any and have had so many of my own thoughts. But to be honest, I like Prankster and even if you don't use him, I believe that if you can't make him work you're not the one I'm waiting for, lol.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I have a very specific idea for what I think a new Superman movie needs to be, and that includes who its villain should be, but given the fact that all the specific check marks I'm looking for aren't likely to be met, I have an alternative choice.......

Toyman.

The character has a whole bunch of merits to his name insofar as what he can do for a Superman movie. For one, and similar to The Dark Knight's Joker, you have an antagonist who may be visually unsettling (imagine the animated show's version of Toyman on screen, right), but holds no real threat to our hero physically. So the questions become: what is this foe's goal? How and why is the hero and obstruction to them? And lastly how does the foe maneuver against and around the hero?

Due to Toyman's largely indirect nature (in the sense that he, as a guy, is usually not there in person as the physical issue for our hero?) and the aforementioned unsettling nature of his motif, there's natural questions to be asked, thus a mystery to be solved to be solved. This allows for not only more involvement by Clark Kent and Lois Lane, but the establishing of the city they inhabit. Why? Specifically because Toyman's goal in the film logically couldn't be to physically kill Superman.

In terms of what stories they could look to for inspiration? The animated show's version's debut episode, "Fun and Games", and the tie-in Superman Adventures story "Never Play with the Toyman's Toys" would be good starting points.

Toyman would also have the benefit of not being yet another alien to punch. No matter what, I'd like to see them resist the urge to further typecast Superman as primarily only having a story to tell when it deals with an opposing invading alien.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-04-2019 at 05:04 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Mongul and Warworld brethren. Going gladiator worked for Thor, why not Supes? Make it a big and colorful cinematic experience and I can see it doing a billion.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'll accept virtually any and have had so many of my own thoughts. But to be honest, I like Prankster and even if you don't use him, I believe that if you can't make him work you're not the one I'm waiting for, lol.
    I always pictured Prankster as being like a Joker for Superman. My first choice would be Brainiac, obviously, but I'd love to see some of "lesser" villains get a makeover. A "darker" Prankster would be kind of cool. Ditto Toyman.
    Assassinate Putin!

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

brainiac.a guy has krypotnian physical(action part) and smartest being in the universe(match wits part),plus a technology ship and alien origin,should be a deadly foe for superman.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Parasite, Metallo, and a good version of Luthor. I want to see a fully realized Metropolis and bring in Sam Lane and Metallo ala Johns Secret Origin.

Since, Justice League is not getting made anytime soon why not use Darkseid?

I need to see Superman finally fighting Brainiac in all his creepy glory w/ a great story and plot and exciting action obviously. And a Superman that is firmly established, more confident and acting like a real investigative reporter alongside Lois.

Also if it's a Man of Steel sequel, I want to see him actually proposing to Lois and ready to set the date when danger ensues! I need to see him saving people and seeing people loving and appreciating him more. An action-thriller w/ some romance and adventure.

Oh and I want to see the wedding at the end. Just a few mins, it doesn't need to be a long scene, but it needs to be meaningful, joyful and sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Mongul and Warworld brethren. Going gladiator worked for Thor, why not Supes? Make it a big and colorful cinematic experience and I can see it doing a billion.
    I like this too. yes more color and more heart and lighter scenes to lighten up the mood a bit; BvS was just so deadly serious and that's boring. Superman is not brooding like Batman. Superman is more optimistic and brighter, it's about time they SHOW that.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 02-04-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Astonishing Member

Ultra-Humanite working in the shadows as the supplier of Intergang. So the major battles are Superman against Mannheim and his goons, possibly even a few with innate powers. The drama is less "can Superman beat these guys?" and more "What happens when there are threats in multiple locations?".

And at the end we see the Humanite's corpse … and his new body cackling about just what she can do with Kryptonian DNA.

So first thing first No Luther, No Zod, No Doomsday.. Basically Spiderman homecoming rules for the Superman franchise don't use villian you have used before and avoid story points we have seen before so fortress of solitude and his origin should be lightly used.

1.Brainiac -The easy choice

2. Manchester Black and the Elite- Because it is perfect story to show who Superman is and why he isn't other heroes

3. Darkseid- The best target to show off the full capabilities of Superman

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

A horror movie with parasite. Make the character hideous and scary.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I always pictured Prankster as being like a Joker for Superman. My first choice would be Brainiac, obviously, but I'd love to see some of "lesser" villains get a makeover. A "darker" Prankster would be kind of cool. Ditto Toyman.
    I'd personally go for Superman vs Wes Anderson, but just the same...
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES