Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Pass.

Sigh. If you were to make a pie chart showing what makes Moonknight cool ninety percent would be dedicated to the costume and....oh who am I kidding one hundred percent would be costume.

It's sad to see that Marvel still hasn't learned their lesson when it comes to this character. You would think the editors would pump the brakes and all these personalities and tell their writer to focus on making Marc Spector work. Give the character one good personality that works as opposed to a bunch that don't.
    I think most MK fans would say that Marc's multiple personalities are what separates him as a character and that the best work done with MK presents him as having more going on than just a cool costume. Yes, that costume is very cool but there's more to MK than that. Getting him right is not easy and you can come at him from many different angles but making him more basic doesn't seem to be a fruitful way to bring out the best in him.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I think most MK fans would say that Marc's multiple personalities are what separates him as a character and that the best work done with MK presents him as having more going on than just a cool costume.
    Yes MK fans feel that way. If those fans were enough to sustain the title more power to you, but we're they?

Yes, that costume is very cool but there's more to MK than that. Getting him right is not easy and you can come at him from many different angles but making him more basic doesn't seem to be a fruitful way to bring out the best in him.
    And the current approach is bringing out the best in him? You can only do unstable for so long before you get diminishing returns. It feels like the character is way past that. Nothing is wrong with a back to basics approach. It's been used to save many things that have lost their way over the years. Of all the characters at Marvel Comics you can argue that Moon Knight needs it the most.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

Yes MK fans feel that way. If those fans were enough to sustain the title more power to you, but we're they?
    Yes. At times they have been.

And the current approach is bringing out the best in him? You can only do unstable for so long before you get diminishing returns. It feels like the character is way past that. Nothing is wrong with a back to basics approach. It's been used to save many things that have lost their way over the years. Of all the characters at Marvel Comics you can argue that Moon Knight needs it the most.
    MK was doing well under the Max Bemis run. If not for Bemis deciding to walk away for personal reasons, I believe that run would have kept going. Not indefinitely, certainly, but it would have had a longer run for sure. Not every MK fan liked what Bemis was doing but it did strike a chord with a lot of readers. I don't think every MK can be that idiosyncratic but I'd also hate to go from that (as well as from the interesting Lemire/Smallwood and Ellis/Wood/Bunn runs that preceded it) to just Marc being a straight-up vigilante with a cool costume.

The story that's in next week's MCP is just ten pages. It's just a brief taste of what this team could do and what their handle on the character is. We'll see how it is.

Whether it's good or bad, nothing may follow after it from these guys. You never know. Nothing's guaranteed. For the moment, I'm just looking forward to reading a new MK story for the first time in awhile. Fingers crossed that it'll be a fun one.

I love Moon Knight, but I'm ready to read stories about a super-hero who deals with dissociative identity disorder rather than someone with DID who sometimes fights criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I love Moon Knight, but I'm ready to read stories about a super-hero who deals with dissociative identity disorder rather than someone with DID who sometimes fights criminals.
    I'm ready for Marvel to drop that DID angle altogether because it's clumsy at best and offensive at worst.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

The Marvel Comics Presents story was pretty damn cool. It's only ten pages but it's a nice taste of what this team could do with MK. The art is especially nice. If they let these guys do a MK mini or ongoing, I'd be all for it.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Could Rosenberg be relaunching Moon Knight? Going off of his Punisher run, my response would be a resounding yes. If not him, let’s get Greg Rucka on it.
    https://twitter.com/ashcanpress/stat...858082817?s=21
    CE185DE5-86FE-4EA6-ABE4-297F5AF3363F.jpg
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

I'm ready for Marvel to drop that DID angle altogether because it's clumsy at best and offensive at worst.
    Meonch did it best by simply having Marc question his sanity. I would have preferred if he were never diagnosed or that his condition (whatever it might be) were... milder I guess, but that ship has sailed a long time ago.

Incredible Member

Most here have said it (including me a while back) - there is just too much of a focus placed on the DID/ "insanity"/ multiple personality shtick.

While I get that's what makes him different as a character, it distracts from actual storytelling. I'd hoped it would be put to bed after the 2014 series (I think) where it ends with him shooting them. Or something like that. This should just be limited to questioning his sanity/ the existence of Khonshu and nothing else. One personality is ok.

The Marvel Presents story a few months back was also good...

Incredible Member

The Marvel Comics Presents story was pretty damn cool. It's only ten pages but it's a nice taste of what this team could do with MK. The art is especially nice. If they let these guys do a MK mini or ongoing, I'd be all for it.
    Seconded...

Mighty Member

I would love Simone to take a shot at Moon Knight. She's great at writing damaged characters and does a nice job of telling character driven stories balanced with crazy action and unpredictable plots. She also does very odd and offbeat humor and I like when MK has a tiny bit of pitch black humor sprinkled in.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd love a more back to basics MK run.

Looks like we're getting a Annual in September.

is there going to be a team up mini series with Punisher and Moon Knight?

Astonishing Member

As someone who suffers with a number of mental health issues, I don't find the DID angle offensive at all. In fact, it sets Moon Knight apart from other heroes and helps make him unique. It only becomes offensive when it isn't handled correctly (the run Bendis did back in 2011/2012 is a prime example.)

If you want to see it toned down, i.e. used to inform rather than as the primary catalyst driving stories, that is okay. But it isn't something that should be dropped altogether.