Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Moon Knight Appreciation (2019)

NOTE: This thread is to serve as continuation of the previous "The Watcher of Overnight Travelers: Moon Knight Appreciation" thread, which can be found at
    From the previous version (originally created by TheRedBaron back in May of 2014):
    The Embracer, The Pathfinder, The Defender, The Watcher of Overnight travelers and if he's not feeling too lucid. The One Who Lives On Hearts. Lets appreciate Marvel's most unhinged albeit best dressed Avenger. Lets appreciate MOON KNIGHT.

A few entries from
    The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Vol. 1 No. 7
    (July 1983):

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

One of Marvel's greatest characters, imo!

I've always wondered.... do Moon Knight fans prefer the more mystical/horror stories, or more "street-level"?

Also: Dissociative identity disorder, yes or no?

(Personally, I like mystical, no DID. The Ellis run was pretty much perfect.)

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Another question from me...what has been the best modern run on Moon Knight? Almost all of the series I’ve read (Huston, Ellis, Lemire etc) have had pretty great writing (not Bendis’!)...is there one that stands out?
    I enjoyed Huston’s first 6 issues and for some reason never continued..
    As for Ellis/Shalvey, it was great and the only problem was you wished the team continued for more issues.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    I've always wondered.... do Moon Knight fans prefer the more mystical/horror stories, or more "street-level"?

Also: Dissociative identity disorder, yes or no?

(Personally, I like mystical, no DID. The Ellis run was pretty much perfect.)
    -----

Ideally
    Street - Specifically "Mr. Knight". That said his involvement in Secret Avengers was decent (sticking to the "space suit" and the unofficial introduction of Mr. Knight with the non-lethal guns. Not sure this still counts as "street".

NO DID - it's been leaned too heavily upon that it's marred the character (IMO). Also I get the 3 personas are part of his lore etc but think it should be retired and just be Spector.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Another question from me...what has been the best modern run on Moon Knight? Almost all of the series I’ve read (Huston, Ellis, Lemire etc) have had pretty great writing (not Bendis’!)...is there one that stands out?
    I enjoyed Huston’s first 6 issues and for some reason never continued..
    As for Ellis/Shalvey, it was great and the only problem was you wished the team continued for more issues.
    Agree with most of this.
    Confession - thought Bendis' approach was interesting but flew too close to the sun.
    MK shouldn't have dressed like them. Bendis should have used them only as "guardian angels". Or something.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I agree with Bendis. I remember I read the first issue and thought it worked really well (I hadn’t read the press surrounding it at the time so finding they weren’t actually there was a nice twist to me)...but as you said it just got ridiculous to the point I don’t think Bendis himself knew what the point was.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

My favorite thus far has been the Lemire/Smallwood run. I’d have Ellis/Shalvey as number one, if their run had been longer.

I’m fine with both, the mystical with the noir, but I prefer the noir. I also really love The DID, I just don’t like it to be the sole focus of the character. I want to see Stained Glass Scarlet to get some huge development. I want to see a Khonshu inspired cult come up against MK.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Mighty Member

I like the only mystical elements to involve Marc and Khonshu. That way it can be unclear whether Khonshu is even real or just a part of Marc's damaged psyche. The contrast between Marc interacting with (maybe, or maybe it's all in his head) gods and then having street level adventures is fascinating to me. I mean "Marvel universe street level", where the impossible happens, but leaning much more towards Daredevil/Punisher street level than Spider-Man street level.

I'd prefer Marc not having a specific diagnosis, or at least have it be a made up one. Besides the issues of sensitivity and empathy towards those who have the same diagnosis in real life, it also takes some of the fantasy element away for me. This is another area where grey is better than black and white. Maybe he has an illness, maybe not, maybe it's common, maybe it's unique to him... Those are all better grounds for stories than a firm diagnosis, imo.

What remains of the original supporting cast? Who is alive, who is dead? Who is retired?

I never got to read any of the business suit era. So what has that been about?

Moonie!

I honestly like a good mix of the mystical and noir. I thought the Ellis weird crime run was perfect at this.
    Really hope the GA team doing the spotlight issue for him means a new book on the way.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I really dig Moon Knight. I have many of his earlier comics and some of his Ellis issues but I definitely need to catch up. And no he is not a poor mans Batman!

Always was fascinated with the idea of Moon Knight having multiple identities.
    khonshu3.jpg

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    Moonie!

I honestly like a good mix of the mystical and noir. I thought the Ellis weird crime run was perfect at this.
    Really hope the GA team doing the spotlight issue for him means a new book on the way.
    Me too. Especially since their run was so good.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com