Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

I'm old enough to know WHY Moon Knight had the multiple identities (The Shadow knows, too ).

But there was a trend, some years back, to use mental dysfunction to explain superhero tropes. And almost without exception, it ended up doing more damage than good.

Something similar happened with espionage comics. It got to the point that EVERY Big Two superspy either had issues maintaining their sanity under their cover identities or somehow ended up in a surreal Prisoner-esque scenario. The first time it happened, it was interesting. Then it became repetitive, and now it's just a cliche.

Just once, I want to read a story where an Avenger expresses doubt about MK being contacted by Khonshu, only to have Thor or Hercules reply "Ah yes, he mentioned that at the last celestial buffet."

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    I'm old enough to know WHY Moon Knight had the multiple identities (The Shadow knows, too ).

But there was a trend, some years back, to use mental dysfunction to explain superhero tropes. And almost without exception, it ended up doing more damage than good.

Something similar happened with espionage comics. It got to the point that EVERY Big Two superspy either had issues maintaining their sanity under their cover identities or somehow ended up in a surreal Prisoner-esque scenario. The first time it happened, it was interesting. Then it became repetitive, and now it's just a cliche.

Just once, I want to read a story where an Avenger expresses doubt about MK being contacted by Khonshu, only to have Thor or Hercules reply "Ah yes, he mentioned that at the last celestial buffet."
    It is never really made clear if MK is viewed as "crazy" because he believes in Khonshu or just because of the multiple ID disorder. Cap once called him insane of course that was before he picked him for the secret avengers.

Not only the various Norse and Greek gods they have interacted with you also have Black Panther who has connections to Bast and his group.

Mk and BP should have a teacup or gaudiest or something

Just got myself into Moon Knight and it is easy to say, I have most certainly been missing out on some great stories. I had read him here and there in a cameo or two until I was gifted with the Divided We Fall storyline. Someone threw it into an eBay Lot I bought of some other books years ago, and I liked it, but I never really got past that.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and I picked up the Bendis/Maleev run, Ellis/Wood/Bunn, and Lemire’s. Amazing stuff for me. All of it. Started trying to get ahold of his epic collections and volume two has been troublesome to say the least. Some of these epics really jump in price if they are out of print. That and the recent interview with Kevin Smith and Endgame directors throwing around Keanu Reeves as a potential player for MK in the MCU and I think that probably has made his back stuff even harder to get. I’m sure it’s worth it though.

Now the stuff in between the epics and what I already have, that seems even harder to find. Very pricey. Maybe I’ll read it in Marvel Unlimited at some point, maybe it will be rereleased as his popularity grows. I also see MK as being very much a cult following type character. I don’t think he’s made Marvel anywhere near as much money as many other characters. I dunno. I’m just speculating. Either way, just wanted to revive this thread.

I’m very much appreciating Moon Knight in 2019.

What’s your favorite run?

I’m still finishing the Lemire but it’s up there in awesomeness. Hard to say what I may have enjoyed more.
    Last edited by Sparko; 08-01-2019 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    ... the recent interview with Kevin Smith and Endgame directors throwing around Keanu Reeves as a potential player for MK in the MCU and I think that probably has made his back stuff even harder to get. I’m sure it’s worth it though...

I do NOT want Keanu Reeves as Moon Knight for the very legitimate concern that I don't think he can pull off playing separate identities. I honestly don't think he has the range. I would push for Adam Driver - that guy's nuts in a fun/funny way and the dude was a Marine. He can pull it off. (and he's a Disney man -he's done with Star Wars now right?)

And favorite run? Unfortunately, nothing so far holds a candle to the Meonch/Sienkiewicz run in my mind.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-01-2019 at 06:26 PM.

Just got myself into Moon Knight and it is easy to say, I have most certainly been missing out on some great stories. I had read him here and there in a cameo or two until I was gifted with the Divided We Fall storyline. Someone threw it into an eBay Lot I bought of some other books years ago, and I liked it, but I never really got past that.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and I picked up the Bendis/Maleev run, Ellis/Wood/Bunn, and Lemire’s. Amazing stuff for me. All of it. Started trying to get ahold of his epic collections and volume two has been troublesome to say the least. Some of these epics really jump in price if they are out of print. That and the recent interview with Kevin Smith and Endgame directors throwing around Keanu Reeves as a potential player for MK in the MCU and I think that probably has made his back stuff even harder to get. I’m sure it’s worth it though.
    Keanu Reeves would certainly be an interesting choice (IMHO).

Now the stuff in between the epics and what I already have, that seems even harder to find. Very pricey. Maybe I’ll read it in Marvel Unlimited at some point, maybe it will be rereleased as his popularity grows. I also see MK as being very much a cult following type character. I don’t think he’s made Marvel anywhere near as much money as many other characters. I dunno. I’m just speculating. Either way, just wanted to revive this thread.

I’m still finishing the Lemire but it’s up there in awesomeness. Hard to say what I may have enjoyed more.
    The Warren Ellis run is my all-time favorite.

Interesting opinions so far. I’m quite eager to get into Meonch/Sienkiewicz. At first I wasn’t sure how I felt about the Ellis run, but by the end of it, I deemed it a fantastic read. If you don’t mind, how old are you guys? Or maybe a better question, where did you start on MK? I thought of Spider-Man a moment in reading your favorites. A lot of folks that started with Lee will say that was the best, everything else comes after, then you have guys who will say the same about Michelinie, Bendis, JMS, or Slott. I have a huge soft spot for Michelinie because that’s when I really started reading Spidey. And not to say this describes either of you, but I am curious how your jump on point affected your tastes.

In my case, I found my perfect cast for Marc watching the Jack Ryan streaming series. I didn't know John Krasinski could be a serious badass, besides being funny.

Interesting opinions so far. I’m quite eager to get into Meonch/Sienkiewicz. At first I wasn’t sure how I felt about the Ellis run, but by the end of it, I deemed it a fantastic read. If you don’t mind, how old are you guys? Or maybe a better question, where did you start on MK?
    The first time I ever saw Moon Knight was in his back-up features from the Hulk's magazine. However, my first time actually reading a Moon Knight story was Moon Knight #13 which I bought at a convenience store (Daredevil was on the cover and, at the time, I loved superhero team-ups).

I thought of Spider-Man a moment in reading your favorites. A lot of folks that started with Lee will say that was the best, everything else comes after, then you have guys who will say the same about Michelinie, Bendis, JMS, or Slott. I have a huge soft spot for Michelinie because that’s when I really started reading Spidey. And not to say this describes either of you, but I am curious how your jump on point affected your tastes.
    Even if it was before I was born, I still agree with the consensus: Stan Lee's Spidey is the best. But, Roger Stern's run is a very close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    In my case, I found my perfect cast for Marc watching the Jack Ryan streaming series. I didn't know John Krasinski could be a serious badass, besides being funny.
    That could certainly work. I have been a bit keen on Keanu myself, but at the same time, I trust Kevin Feige and his team will pick the right person when the time comes.

Dude pick up Essential Moon Knight by Doug Moench & Bill Sienkevitch (an omnibus collection in B&W that are the early Moon Knight issues) if you are a new Moon Knight fan I HIGHLY (typing from an IPad so IDK how to bold text, not meant to yell sorry) recommend that collection.
    Meet the new Blu_Spyder,
    same as the old Arachne_Azure

"If Life doesn't give you some sugar to go with the lemons
    your lemonade is gonna suck
    "

That could certainly work. I have been a bit keen on Keanu myself, but at the same time, I trust Kevin Feige and his team will pick the right person when the time comes.
    Which ever actor is cast as Marc Spector, he'd have to have a good balance of normal and personable millionaire type, to being creepy AF (the guy that played Pacho Herrara in Narcos would be ideal IMO,) but in Feige I trust.
    Meet the new Blu_Spyder,
    same as the old Arachne_Azure

"If Life doesn't give you some sugar to go with the lemons
    your lemonade is gonna suck
    "

Thanks, Blu_Spyder, I ended up bidding on an eBay auction that will bring me the first three epic collections. I believe that has everything the essentials have. Hopefully I’ll have em by this time next week!

BANNED

Marc Spector: Moon Knight #2 Jul 1989
    "Hunter's Moon"
    Bushman, having kidnapped Marlene in the last issue, has retreated to the Burundan Embassy.
    Moon Knight is surveying the place, but is spotted by Bushman's tech guys.
    They send out a messenger for Moon Knight, as well as several Burandan warriors.
    Moon Knight defeats them with ease while Spider-Man watches on, taking photos.

The messenger says that Bushman wants $10 million or he'll kill Marlene.
    Marc talks to his accountant about getting the money, but he informs him that all his money is tied up in real estate, business interests, and art.
    Without the cash, Marc has to find another way to get Marlene back and decides to sneak in, posing as a cable guy.

Once inside, he fights his way through Bushman's goons but finds Bushman gone,

having left for Africa, and taken Marlene with him.

Written by Chuck Dixon. Art by Sal Velluto & Mark Farmer.

Mighty Member

Nice! Welcome to the fan club.
    I'd highly recommend the Huston/Benson run. It's one of the darker runs and really gets pretty vicious. But it never degrades into shock value. It has a fantastic balance of character work, "holy @$&" moments and fast moving plots. They use the supporting cast well also. And it has some AMAZING artwork by Finch.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Nice! Welcome to the fan club.
    I'd highly recommend the Huston/Benson run. It's one of the darker runs and really gets pretty vicious. But it never degrades into shock value. It has a fantastic balance of character work, "holy @$&" moments and fast moving plots. They use the supporting cast well also. And it has some AMAZING artwork by Finch.
    I definately second that motion.

When I want to try and convince a friend to jump on the Moon Knight bandwagon, by go-to MK story is the Huston/Finch stuff. The Bottom does a nice job of showing can crazy fun and cool Moon Knight can be. And it's fairly new reader friendly.